Author Topic: Nice old screw tip horn..!  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
Nice old screw tip horn..!
« on: October 17, 2021, 11:36:38 PM »
A friend of mine just found this beauty...!

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Nice old screw tip horn..!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 11:43:59 PM »
what a great find!!! Berks County with painted 'measles spots.' There aren't too many of these around and some think that they are somewhat early, (Rev War period and slightly after).
This horn needs a good Reading rifle to go with it. Thank our for posting the photos.
Dick

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:29:58 AM »
 Really cool, I should be so lucky. Dick is right, you don't see many of them come out of hiding.

Tim C.

Offline j. pease

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 03:41:23 AM »
Northern Berks county with lead oxide decoration, spots are often faded, this is good specimen. I had a recent post of a Northern Berks county horn that I made to help Art DeCamp teach lead oxide decoration during the horn class at Conner Prairie. This was a popular decoration in the last quarter 18th century

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 03:23:40 PM »
j. pease... I asked this same question on another post but no one has answered it yet. What is lead oxide and how is it applied ? That is a beautiful horn and for some reason I like the simplicity of the decoration.

Kind Regards
Frank

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 03:38:23 PM »
 8) :o ;)... great find, Bob,... !!! ... maybe came down there with Old Hickory and crew,.. !!! .... thanx for shareing,... !!! ... CCF

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 06:42:12 PM »
8) :o ;)... great find, Bob,... !!! ... maybe came down there with Old Hickory and crew,.. !!! .... thanx for shareing,... !!! ... CCF
Dana, it’s not for me it belongs to our good friend Tommy. He has quiet a collection of really great horns..! He has a good eye for horns, and his collection bears proof of that statement.
Hope to see you at Jim’s show in Jan. “Good Lord Willing.”
Stay safe brother.
🙏🇺🇸🙏
Bob
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 02:36:06 PM by Rajin cajun »
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Tecumseh

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 02:39:50 AM »
Beautiful horn in fantastic condition, that is a great find.

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 03:35:15 AM »
j. pease... I asked this same question on another post but no one has answered it yet. What is lead oxide and how is it applied ? That is a beautiful horn and for some reason I like the simplicity of the decoration.

Kind Regards
Frank

Thanks for this question.
I found a lot of different lead oxide chemicals, which have various colors. Most of them are poisoning:
"Lead oxides are a group of inorganic compounds with formulas including lead (Pb) and oxygen (O).

Common lead oxides include:

Lead(II) oxide, PbO, litharge (red), massicot (yellow) Lead(II,IV) oxide, Pb3O4,  minium, red lead Lead dioxide (lead(IV) oxide), PbO2

Less common lead oxides are:

Lead(II,IV) oxide, Pb2O3, lead sesquioxide (reddish yellow)Pb12O19 (monoclinic, dark-brown or black crystals)The so-called black lead oxide, which is a mixture of PbO and fine-powdered metal Pb and used in the production of lead–acid batteries." (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_oxide)

Which of these chemicals have been used for painting or decoration of horns?

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 11:23:55 PM »
Wow!  Thats an amazing find.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 08:02:21 PM »
Love it.  Congratulations to your friend.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline P.C.Child

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 05:07:51 AM »
Beautiful horn! I've never seen a horn decorated like that before. So cool.