General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Bore Fouling

<< < (4/5) > >>

Jeff Murray:
Daryl, I have used a thong as well (the leather shooting kind).  Almost any type of cord with some resistance built into the cord material can work in a pinch.  I like the sinew when hunting because it doesn't take up any room in my bag.  Also try to keep a range rod in my truck when on a hunt just in case.  when I used to live in Arizona we would occasionally get a ball really stuck in the dry weather and a tug of war would result even with a range rod.  The thong/sinew also works for tying your rod to an immovable object if you are alone.  Water also makes it easier to pull if you are not in a hurry.

Daryl:
I've not had a problem with pulling them out, but they are tight enough that 2 people makes it easier, one holding the rifle and one pulling the rod.
The bore is already lubed by seating the patched ball. After running it through the breech fouling though, they can be tough to get started coming out.

davec2:
The part about trying to get a good grip to pull out a stuck ball is why I carry a "T" handle in the patch box of each rifle, cross pin the ends on all my ram rods, and have female threads on both ends of the rifle rod.

Daryl:
That is how my rods are as well, DaveC2.

Those gunner's Mate tools that Dave makes, are wonderful kit to have. ;)

Darkhorse:
I tie my ramrod/rangerod to a tree and pull the rifle. Easy to grip and pull with force and doesn't require any help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version