Author Topic: John Bull rifle meas. from the Front Royal Show (side plate photo added)  (Read 2229 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Mac Spencer brought this Bull rifle down to Tim Hodges show and allowed me to take photo's and measurements of the rifle. I know some on here were wanting the measurements and some more photos so I got what I could get, the photos are not the best but better than nothing.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 08:16:02 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline sqrldog

Re: John Bull rifle measurements from the Front Royal Show
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 10:24:56 PM »
Jim Thanks for all the hard work In getting the measurements off of the Bull rifle. One of my all time favorite iron mounted southern rifles. Tim

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 12:24:05 AM »
Most excellent Jim, thank you so much. Thank you to Mac as well.
Hold to the Wind

Offline RobertS

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 05:43:13 AM »
Thanks so much for the measurements and the photos.  Love that patchbox!

Offline rsells

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 08:49:58 AM »
Thanks a bunch for the info on the Bull rifle.  I appreciate it a bunch. 
                                                                         Roger Sells

Offline rsherman

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 05:18:42 PM »
Thank you for the time and effort you put in to share the details of this great rifle with us.
Randy

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: John Bull rifle meas. from the Front Royal Show ( side plate photo added
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 08:14:10 PM »
In looking at the photo's I realized I had left out a shot of the side plate. sorry about that.

Jim
Jim Parker

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: John Bull rifle meas. from the Front Royal Show (side plate photo added)
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 06:14:41 AM »
 8) 8).. thanx, Jim,.. !!! ... good to see her,.. has she been published in any books,..?... is she an Alabama or Tennessee made rifle,... ??... thanx again, and see you in January,.. regards,.. Cades Cove Fiddler,...

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 07:18:35 AM »
Thanks for the photos of that great rifle.
Mac must be proud of that one.!

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 04:21:27 PM »
bama,

This is a great and thorough posting thank you for taking the time to do this. Something like this with photos and dimensions is a great tool for researchers and builders alike.

I've been prepping something along the same lines for a Graeff signed rifle and hope to be finished soon. Maybe others will follow your example.

Kent
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 06:03:30 PM »
Guys, it was exciting to be able to look this rifle over and to take pictures of it. I really have to give Mac a big thankyou for allowing me to do this. Without collectors like Mac who are willing to share their treasures, this could not have happened. One of the many things I like about this board is that their are many that are seriously dedicated to the long rifle. We have researchers here that give me a much better insight to the actual life styles of the craftsman who built our treasures, we have the collectors, without them us builders would have nothing to study. We have many builders that are very serious about accurately recreating these treasures. I pretty much fall into the last category although I try to collect whenever my budget allows and I do try my hand at research some. For the serious builders that want to go the extra mile to recreate an original masterpiece we need more information than is usually not available in the books that we have today. Now don't take me wrong the books that we have are fantastic and are much appreciated. Many hard hours have been put into them by some very dedicated people but they are limited in how much info can be squeezed between the book covers. My info is rough around the edges and was done quickly as you can tell by my crude drawings but it provides much more information that a builder can use to recreate the project. I am honored to be able to help a little in this process of the long rifle study. I hope to see some great builds come out of my efforts.

Again thanks Mac for bringing the rifle and thanks to Tim for hosting the show that provided a place for Mac and I to get together. Mac and I only live about 16 hours from each other so without Tim's show this little project could not have happened. It's part of the circle that takes all of us working together to keep this part of our history from being erased.
Jim Parker

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 06:29:34 PM »
Here is a link to the Kentucky Rifle Foundation Face Book Page that has some good photo's of this rifle. Thanks to Tim Cosby for the heads up about these photo's. There's that circle thing again, everybody helping to make this a great place to truly study the long rifle.

Thanks, Tim

https://www.facebook.com/kentuckyriflefoundation/photos/pcb.3017312495207164/3017310635207350
Jim Parker

Offline RAT

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 05:12:35 AM »
Question... does the middle area of the toe plate flex upwards to push the pin to release the patchbox catch?
Bob

Offline Mac

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 03:13:30 PM »
yes, that's how it's opened
Mac

Offline RAT

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 01:22:10 AM »
Cool... Thank you!
Bob

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 07:16:31 PM »
Reading the last post I realized I did not post a picture of the Toe Plate of this rifle. Sorry Guys

Jim Parker