Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Gun  (Read 1670 times)

Offline CapeCodder99

• Starting Member
Need Help Identifying Gun
« on: November 29, 2021, 07:03:02 PM »
Hello everyone! Thanks for the add to the group.

Last week I purchased the gun below at a local antique shop on Cape Cod. I know nothing about guns but have always wanted an antique rifle for my office. My house was built in the 1740’s and I have been looking for an older rifle. I’m always at local antique shops, flea markets, estate sales etc looking for Native American artifacts. This gun was being displayed at a local shop. The dealer told me he bought a local gun collection and that the gun I purchased was a local gun. I don’t know if he meant local to Cape Cod or Mass, but that’s all the info he had. Any info would be appreciated. I’d love to know what type it is, possible year it was made, if it could be originally from Mass. I plan on keeping it but I’d love to know value. I posted it on a Facebook group and had a lot of people messaged me offers. Shreck Meister saw my post and directed me to the forum where he said there were much more knowledgeable people.

Thanks again!!

Offline LynnC

Re: Need Help Identifying Gun
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 07:26:20 PM »
I’m not seeing any photos.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 08:02:32 PM »
The photo hosting site connection is not working with some browsers right now. It’s being investigated. This looks like a Massachusetts New England militia gun, post Rev War to me.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 08:04:47 PM »
Doesn't look recent and maybe a fowler made from a military gun.Run the rod down the barrel and check for a long forgotten load be it ball or shot.Never assume a relic is unloaded.I have unloaded more than one.
Bob Roller

Offline CapeCodder99

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 08:37:32 PM »
Are the markings just intricacies engraved by the owner? Did military guns back then not have any markings? I was told it is possibly curly maple wood. Are fowlers early shotguns?

Thanks!
Nick 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 09:36:35 PM »
 I would call it a New England fowler. Lack of sling swivels, and bayonet lug, make it more likely a fowler. Probably made in the first quarter of the 19th century. And yes by all means check it to see if it has a load in it.

Hungry Horse

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 09:36:39 PM »
Oh, bye the way. Those initials look vibrio- engraved.

Hungry Horse

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 09:45:39 PM »
HH-Glad you are back among us. Think you are correct about the initials. Those are not clean engraving tool cuts. Maybe the initials were cut in over an existing set, but that is hard to say. Also agree on dating for the arm; a fowler probably made prior to 1820. Nice of the owner to show it here and I enjoyed seeing the photos. Thank you CC99.
Dick

Offline RobertS

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 06:17:27 PM »
Yes, a fowler is an early shotgun, and the stock looks like curly maple to me.  Nice find!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 03:35:36 PM »
Hi,
My first impression is that it is a 19th century NE militia musket possibly using some English export parts.  The 3-leaf engraving was common on Ketland trade and export products.  The single screw butt plate attachment is odd.  The wood looks to be maple.  I agree that the initials on the barrel were done in the 20th century.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline satwel

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 03:19:26 AM »
That last time I was in Dixon's a twin of this musket was on the used gun rack. The tag on the trigger guard identified it as a Militia Musket manufactured in upstate New York. An antique dealer once told me many such muskets were produced in response to the passage of the Militia Act of 1808.