Author Topic: finished a new fabric/leather hunting bag to go with old horn  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Shopdog

finished a new fabric/leather hunting bag to go with old horn
« on: November 30, 2021, 06:16:40 AM »
I guess I'm doing this backwards = haven't even started the rifle I intend these to go with but so it goes.  The rifle will be a late 18th century VA rifle.  The powder horn is original dated on the plug "1797".  I have a lot of handwoven linsey woolsey copied from a mid to late 18th century example so figured I'd use it for some bags.  The body of the bag is the fabric and the flap is brain-tanned then walnut dyed buckskin. The pewter button is an original dating to the 18th century.  What sets this set off are the fantastic woven straps courtesy Kris Polizzi.  Her woven straps are tops!!!
Joe Davis

Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Offline Frank Barker

Re: finished a new fabric/leather hunting bag to go with old horn
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 06:56:35 PM »
Joe.... What are the dimensions of your bag body ?

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 07:54:46 PM »
Lovely shapes and materials in the bag! Nice work. Looking forward to seeing the whole set come together.
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 09:13:10 PM »
Very nice work on the bag.  It's great that you actually have an original horn.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 09:35:48 PM »
 Nice work, they complement each other.

Tim

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 04:13:22 AM »
Joe.... What are the dimensions of your bag body ?

Frank - the bag is 9.5" tall and 7.75" wide.  The flap is 6.5" from top of bag to point of flap.  I wasn't copying any particular bag per se.  Basically I just started cutting along a section of fabric and let that determine the overall dimensions via the vertical striping.  Likewise the flap was made of a doubled up piece of leftover brain tanned hide I had.  I did ask Kris for a selection of straps she had available and picked one that matched the colors and vertical striping but otherwise I made the bag from scrap pieces (linen thread used) without any real end goal in mind.  Here's a pic of the flap open:

Joe Davis

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 04:18:51 AM »
Very nice work on the bag.  It's great that you actually have an original horn.

I'll post just the horn in the antique accoutrements section as perhaps someone will recognize some regional characteristics.   It was an ebay find several years ago that was in pretty bad shape (powder post beetles had turned it into swiss cheese) but being it had some initials and a date I wanted to try and get it back into working order.  I like to make and scrimshaw powderhorns for other people but my personal shooting bags are mostly set up with original plain horns.  Makes it more fun hunting with a horn that someone used ages ago. 
Joe Davis

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 10:43:29 PM »
That is a good looking set. Well done.

Cory Joe

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 03:07:43 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments - problem is I have to start on the rifle and my carving skills are lackluster so I hope to use this project as impetus to improve them.  I  suppose it’s the collector gene in me but there is something fun about working a full kit up to a rifle wether I build it myself or get an original and then go out and hunt with it - firearm, bag, horn, and accoutrements.
Joe

Joe Davis

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 05:33:53 PM »
Thanks Joe, it is hard to tell how big things are without a reference near by. I have a leather bag that is my personal one that is about that same size. I have had so many people try to buy it but I really like it. Nice job, I like the fabric and leather combination.