Author Topic: Lott flintlock  (Read 1882 times)

Offline stevew

• Starting Member
Lott flintlock
« on: December 01, 2021, 02:15:11 AM »
Looking for any info on a Lott flintlock. Is there a lock that would fit in place of this one, like a large siler or a chambers?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Lott flintlock
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 02:42:15 AM »
 Don’t tell me, let me guess,the frizzen is soft, and possibly the mainspring is weak. My best advice is heat treat the main spring, and half sole the frizzen. There is a replacement, but its not a Siler.   

Hungry Horse

Offline foxm2015

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 02:45:39 PM »
The R. E. Davis " Trade Gun" Flintlock is the one you want.   Contact the Log Cabin Sport Shop in Lodi, Ohio as they have the R. E. Davis business now.   Only regret you will have with the R. E. Davis lock is not upgrading sooner.... ;)

Another option may be Larry Zornes, Mold and Gun Shop, in Jackson Ohio.  He may have something that would match the lock inlet also.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 05:46:44 PM »
Early North Star trade guns used this lock, as did Green River Forge. Those made by Green River Forge often had the plates altered so there is no direct replacements.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 07:44:56 PM »
The R. E. Davis " Trade Gun" Flintlock is the one you want.
This is the correct information. Nearly a drop in replacement. And it works.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline stevew

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 12:58:48 AM »
Thanks for the info gentlemen! This lock is on a Fowler I'm looking at. I was not familiar with this lock so I thought I would turn to the experts. I may have to take a closer look at this gun now.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 04:38:55 PM »
The R. E. Davis " Trade Gun" Flintlock is the one you want.
This is the correct information. Nearly a drop in replacement. And it works.

I think I might have a new one at home.  I am going home today and hopefully can find that lock tomorrow if you are interested.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson