Author Topic: strap for flask  (Read 1841 times)

Offline martin9

strap for flask
« on: September 24, 2021, 04:47:28 PM »
I have this old powder flask and I was wondering what type strap or chain was used back when these were popular? It's got 2 rings on each side for a strap.

It works well and has 3 settings on the spout. I'll have to measure them to see what they throw. I thought I'd just sell this as I bought it on a lark but it does go nicely with my double barrel. I might try it on a squirrel hunt one morning just to see how I like it if I can come up with a suitable strap for it.

Offline alyce-james

Re: strap for flask
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 06:25:38 PM »
Martin9 Sir. This style flask, Ringed, were often found with cord style cord. Often the cord used would be in color such as Red, Green and others. Also the cords were tasseled at the ends. I'll look in "The Powder Flask Book" by Ray Riling. Page #189, 217,218,219 and #258. Hope this helps answer your question. Have a great weekend. AJ.   

"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline martin9

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 08:19:25 PM »
Thank you. I found an example on icollector after you mentioned the tassles...that helped with the search function. I think I'll use a braintan horn strap I have that has the last foot on each end braided. Not exactly traditional but will look good and be more comfortable than the thin cord.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 12:45:07 AM »
Go to a fabric store and buy some curtain/drape cord.  It must be small enough to pass through the rings of the flask, and a stopper knot will hold it there.  Cut the cord off about three of four inches past the knot and then separate the strands to form the tassel.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 04:35:34 PM »
Dixie Gun Works also has a red flask cord that is very appropriate and properly sized. I've used it in the past.
J.B.

Offline jbigley

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 05:17:27 PM »
I have a original almost identical to the flask in the picture. I made a "strap" from red Fox braid. Works well, looks good. Traditional? Authentic? Who's to say it is or isn't... --JB

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 05:28:57 AM »
I have a original almost identical to the flask in the picture. I made a "strap" from red Fox braid. Works well, looks good. Traditional? Authentic? Who's to say it is or isn't... --JB

What is red fox braid?
Psalms 144

Offline jbigley

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 01:55:53 PM »
Fox braid, also called military braid, is basically an "edge binding."  It comes in 10 yard "hanks" in various colors: red, blue, green, yellow, black, white, beige, maroon, etc., and was sold at trading posts from the 1700s on into this century. It is still available from Crazy Crow, Preston Miller, and others. --JB

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 05:02:47 PM »
Martin,
If you intend on wearing the flask, do so under a jacket.  Sparks can enter the spout otherwise. 
Best to keep it covered. \That is why many flasks were carried in a pocket.

Best,
Richard.

Offline martin9

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 01:52:57 AM »
 I took it squirrel hunting twice. I was kinda worried about sparks so had it riding at the small of my back. I just didn't like how it clicked and clanked on every stick...even my leather belt would make some noise on it. It imagine would probably be quiter if I completely filled it with powder. I decided to throw it on ebay after that. I'll stick with my powder horns.Thanks for all the responses.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 01:36:14 PM »
Most flasks with a cord were continental  and carried around your neck or over your shoulder , most UK shooters carried a flask in a bag or your pocket  enclose are a couple of images of a continental  flask with a carrying cord
Feltwad

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 10:41:21 PM »
I'd install the cord so that the flask hangs upsidedown...nozzle down.  But be sure the valve is solid and functions well, or you will dribble away all your powder.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.