Author Topic: My 1st & LAST powder horn  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Jeff Murray

Re: My 1st & LAST powder horn
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2021, 02:50:26 AM »
I was going through some supplies in my shop the other day and found the first horn I ever made and scrimshawed.  It makes yours look like a museum piece.  A few horns later they began to look like real powder horns.  Use and enjoy it.  Most folks will never know it was not made by a pro.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2021, 11:20:55 PM »
Muskrat, I see NOTHING to laugh at.  Those are my kind of horns and I like yours.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2022, 10:56:23 AM »
I hope I have not to be ashamed.

These days I  made my first selfmade powderhorn. For this purpose I took a rather big southamerican drinking horn (tourist souvenir) and cut off the tip.
For decoration I tried to scratchin  the head  of „Marianne“ with a phyrgic cap,  the liberty  symbol, that was not only used in France, but also in the revolutionary US. This liberty cap  appears – as you know -  on the state flags of West Virginia and Idaho (as part of their official seals), New Jersey, and New York, as well as the official seal of the United States Senate, the state of Iowa, the state of North Carolina (as well as the arms of its Senate) and on the reverse side of the Seal of Virginia.

So this decoration might be historically correct for a powder flask used in times of the american revolution and later.

Sorry, but the maid is no beauty

Offline BillKilgore

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2022, 08:43:29 PM »
Nothing wrong with your horn. As others have said, it looks like an authentic home-made horn from the frontier. It is certainly better than I can produce.