General discussion > Gun Building

Thoughts on router planes

(1/3) > >>

borderdogs:
Hi Guys,
I was wondering about the use of router planes for barrel in-letting. I watched Mark Silver's video about the use of planes in shaping a stock and found it very interesting and something I might like to try at some point. I have a  vintage plow-plane and router plane and I was wondering if I could use either in doing a barrel inlet. So I figure I would ask the forum if anyone had used them to do any of the tasks involved with the inlet of a barrel?
Thanks,
Rob

P.W.Berkuta:
I have two router planes one is an old small Stanley 271 and the other is a smaller Lee Veritas Miniature Router Plane which I use both for lock inletting mostly and they do fine.

satwel:
I have a small antique router plane that's handy for inletting patch box mortises. I haven't tried it on a barrel channel. I think it's too small to be practical.

45-110:
They can be handy for some barrel inlet work. If you attach a fence to it, it stays centered in channel. The old Stanley's are wide enough for mounting.
kw

rich pierce:
I’m clueless as to how to set up a fence on one of these. They might work on a straight barrel to establish the bottom flat. On a swamped barrel it would be complicated. And I don’t think these tools are good at hogging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version