Author Topic: New Comer - Help Needed  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: New Comer - Help Needed
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2022, 07:11:29 AM »
I'm certainly not arguing for doing anything dodgy, nor was I attacking you. I was just asking if this is was a real, confirmed thing that has happened as this was the first time I've ever seen it mentioned. Regardless, I would not think telling an interested newcomer that percussion guns are inherently dangerous is something good for our hobby when many thousands of people shoot percussion rifles safely regularly. Accidents do happen, but they are usually from severe negligence.
Not especially insulted just tired after 50 years+ of seeing really scary stuff that people can’t be bothered to pay attention to, have never heard it before or it just scares them to think of it.
ANYTHING can be dangerous if IMPROPERLY USED OR if people don’t UNDERSTAND the issues and potential dangers. I think the post by Bob Roller tells a good example. AND as he stated many rifles back in the day had NO HALF COCK and to make sure the air vented right they might be loaded with the lock on full cock. If you want to second guess E.M. Farris go for it. Who would think that a FIRED percussion rifle could be fired without a cap?

OR people THINK its severe negligence. Been at this a long time and I used to write for a magazine that was basically a clearing house for blown guns and investigations into trashy guns. Factory makes that had “vents” below the nipple of the patent breech. Cracks in the bottom of dovetail cuts that were open to the bore after firing. Breech plugs installed by machine so than the rebate behind the threads was so stressed the when gunsmists tried to remove the breech it BROKE off leaving the threaded portion in the barrel. They used the machine because fitting the breech cost too much so they simply turned the plug till it matched the top flat. Various and sundry blowups.
The hand loader defense works for ML arms. Everyone thinks, since its so !@*%&@ hard to blow a barrel made from a GOOD piece of even questionable steel they assume ANY barrel that fails is the loaders fault. Sometimes it is or could not be proven in court the load was correct. But sometimes its not. The first one I saw in a friends shop when I was 19, was a Douglas 45 cal split from breech face to rear sight right up the top flat 60 gr of FFF and a RB. Hot rolled gun barrel quality steel will not do this. Douglas before dumping the ML barrel making started annealing the bars before making them into barrels. The later ones had a hard oxide scale.
So as a result when someone starts telling me of finding an “early” of a certain US make it gives me the creeps to think someone  is actually shooting it. Then some of the REALLY bad stuff that was made by a BIG name in firearms in Japan that REALLY scares me. And this is from gunsmith reports and sectioned barrels. Like the two piece barrels the the bore did not properly align when the breech section was screwed onto the front section. These were fully functional percussion arms and could fire, IF you could get a projectile down the bore. IF I wanted to dig I could find the articles, with photos for much of this. But most here were not shooting MLs in the late 60s and 70s and you WILL NOT see much, maybe one report, of this in MB of the time. And this caused the person who wrote it permanent long term grief. Reporting on these things caused the Old Buckskin Report permanent problems and eventually put them out of business. You cannot print the truth without consequences. Sorry for the rant.
Oh! Percussion. Did you know, for example, that in England (at least) when they started converting shotguns from flint to percussion many of them burst in service even though they had been rigorously proved when made?  Its amazing what you find in old books about firearms. IIRC its in “English Guns and Rifles” by George. There are other things about percussion ignition impulse but not going into it here.
Sorry again. But I did not just fall off a turnip truck and land in this site.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline little joe

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2022, 08:24:43 AM »
Tired brain thinking back in the 1970,s A guy at Friendship was seating a stubborn cap at the firing line and the thumb pressure and twisting the cap the gunT went off blowing a thumb nail off. There you go 1 in a million.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2022, 09:34:21 AM »
Some say this is an expensive sport.  However, considering a decent scoped rifle and a couple boxes of factory ammo will easily reach ($800 rifle, $300 scope, $40 a box) enough to put you in a Kibler or Chambers kit.  I find this sport to be about on a par with other shooting systems.  Certainly less than shooting one of the ARs which is the most popular firearm being sold today.

Offline heinz

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2022, 04:23:57 PM »
Having come into muzzleloading at about the same time as Mister Phariss, I strongly support what he is saying.  It is amazing the amount of heresy and no-knowlege nonsense that is out there today.

I have shot Douglas barrels, like them and still have two rifles with their barrels.  But both of those barrels have been proofed, the breech plugs have been hand fitted and lapped in, and they have breech thicknesses appropriate to the caliber.  The old rule of thumb was 13/16 under .45, 7/8 under 50 and one inch under .54.  And I would not buy Douglas barrels, or their equivalents today.

Back in the 60s and 70s we did not  have the internet and all the untraceable "facts" that appear here today.   We relied on old hands and seasoned shooters and found that most of what they had to pass on was based on fact, personal observation, and reliable data.

Also most information changed hands face to face, so manners were important if you wanted to learn something.   You may not agree with what you hear from Dan Phariss or Bob Roller, but just be aware, they did not make this $#*& up.  If you want a reference, they are one, and possibly more reliable than what you will find online.

Back to the subject of loaded guns.  All gun are loaded.  Flint guns will self-prime when carried around in a vehicle with a charge in the barrel.  Percussion guns, as noted, can also have issues.  I have never transported a muzzle loader with a charge in the barrel in a vehicle or let one sit charged overnight.  That is what that little screw attachment that goes on your ramrod is for; pulling the charge. And it is usually much easier to do with a greased patch that has not been dry balled down into the powder area .
kind regards, heinz

Mr_Mayonnaise

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2022, 07:57:25 AM »
Thanks for the tips on the Jim Chambers and Kibler rifles. I like the look of the Kibler and Chambers guns for sure but the price seems a little high for a first gun. Though I have definitely learned that the buy once cry once notion is true for my bolt guns and scopes.

How are the Pedersoli rifles? Do they last well? Accurate? Do they feel cheap in hand? Do the two piece stocks work well? Seems like that is weird.

As far as caliber goes, is there much difference between 50 and 54? I am mostly wanting this for target shooting but may take it hunting some day. I have heard it is easier to get a tag for muzzleloaders than regular hunters here in Nevada. Or would I be better served by something in the 36 cal range?

For Pedersoli, the Pennsylvania and Kentucky models are popular with many recreational shooters and hunters that aren't too concerned with historical accuracy. The Frontier/Blue Ridge model is also pretty popular, but the woodscrew through the nose of the lock and into the stock instead of a second lock screw is rather odd and may be an issue if you take the lock off very often. You can tinker with the sights and what not to make the Pedersoli rifles more traditional, but they will never be as historically accurate as the rifle kits from Kibler and Chambers or the custom builds by the gunmakers on this site nor as high quality, but they could get you started.

Caliber is going to depend on what you want to hunt and applicable hunting regulations. .50 is a popular caliber for target shooting and deer hunting. Many bump up to .54 if they hunt bigger animals. Smaller calibers like a .36 are popular for small game like squirrels and rabbits, but wouldn't be suitable for deer and what not.

Thanks for the tips on the models. I am partial to the clean straight lines and patchbox of the kentucky so its good to hear that the guns are well received. I think historical accuracy is cool but I am slightly more concerned with having fun and seeing if I like this type of shooting before dropping the big bucks on a beautiful, historical piece. From your description of the calibers, maybe a .50 would do me better. Is there a good resource I can look at to see ballistics (velocity, energy, etc) of common ML loads and calibers?

Mr_Mayonnaise

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2022, 07:58:51 AM »
Welcome Sam, You are fortunate to find this site that is flush with old timers brimming over with flintlock wisdom and skill, and glad to share it. (There are so many good contributors that poor advice is kept to a minimum.)  I sounded a lot like you, wanting to jump into flintlocks, but no working knowledge/ direction.  I started out with a Pecatonica kit, as I couldn't fathom the price of a Kibler or Chambers. Doug from Pecatonica was so helpful to work with, and I got a great stock with a Siler lock and Green Mt. barrel.  So, with quality components I cobbled together a serviceable rifle, that has proven to be a really good shooter. But my total lack of knowledge is apparent in my hesitancy to remove extra wood to shape a graceful stock.  So for $800 in parts, (I didn't deserve the wood upgrade) I think I built a $600 rifle. But I've had great fun in shooting and hunting with this rifle, and it has been only a rewarding experience. In retrospect, I would have been much better off with a plain stocked Kibler, and then used those lines to guide my future builds to fulfill my own creativity.  But on the other hand, my struggles gave me valuable experience, and firsthand learning. (especially from mistakes...)  Then I discovered this site and my work stepped up, and my 2nd gun, from a plank, is worth the parts, plus maybe a little more!  But the journey has been the fun part for me, and learning from this site, especially the "search" helps, and the needed advice whenever I get stymied, is what makes this hobby so satisfying.  So if you want to take the winding road, take advantage of this site to steer you.  If you want tried and true, take the Kibler shortcut. If you want something in between, go Chambers.  But as others have advised, find a club if possible to see, handle, shoot, and ask in person.  And as an aside, my Chamber's flint locks have proven to be completely reliable in my rookie hands, so don't hesitate to go that route if that is your inclination.    R Mann

Thanks for the advice and congrats on the gun from a plank! I imagine that took A LOT of effort and time. Post some pictures of it for inspiration! haha

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2022, 08:42:09 AM »
In the "Black Powder Shooting" section of this forum, you can often find ballistic tables for the various calibers.  Lots of info on powder charge, etc.

Regarding the Pedersoli firearms - most of the are very good in the accuracy department.  I think they have many lands and grooves, I recall a .45 pistol that had 10 or 12.  Stylistically, I think they have their own style.  I did find one this past week that kinda looked like a Southern Mountain Rifle.  It sure had a diamond shape to the butt stock.   But I did not get the model name.

Really happy to welcome you to the forum.  Lots and lots of info on making, shooting, cleaning of muzzle loaders.  Have fun with it is the main thing.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.