Author Topic: Your opinion on this horn  (Read 1658 times)

Offline aaronc

Your opinion on this horn
« on: December 03, 2021, 03:14:18 AM »
If this is against any forum rules I apologize in advance and moderators please delete or whatever you need to do. A guy on another forum that I'm in related to other interest sent me a PM saying he was going to go $200 on this horn being sold as an original best I can tell. I replied saying I strongly questioned it being an original based on the following in my response to him..

"Just my observations but the finish is nice and shiny...the ink is also heavy and very "new looking". There seems to be some chips in the horn to make it look worn...if those were from the 1700's...or even 1950's they would not show any white in them,or at least that much. Dirt and age would have darkened those little divits. Lastly that buck deer is unlike any I have ever seen on an original...the original animals and images look much more primitive than that..especially the antlers. The guys fighting with swords look familiar and is very similar to something I've seen on an original..that in and of itself doesn't make it "not antique" but I think I've on seen it on one. Honestly for my eye the deer looks more "wrong" than anything else on the horn."

He is already greatly out bid so he's not buying it but thought I would share here to get some thoughts. I hate to see anything "fake" being sold as authentic and I  know it happens all time,.. especially with online sales.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284544653286?pub=&toolid=10001&campid=5338014720&customid=&mpt=7658308&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&ufes_redirect=true
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 03:43:03 AM by aaronc »
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Your opinion on this horn
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 04:25:33 AM »
I looked at it the other day and am leaning so hard toward “new horn” that it would be hard to get me back upright.
Andover, Vermont

Offline aaronc

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 05:08:57 AM »
I looked at it the other day and am leaning so hard toward “new horn” that it would be hard to get me back upright.

;)
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 01:32:16 PM »
 Looks to "willie nilly" to be original, as in having a little of everything that someone thinks a buyer would want. The lack of scratches, rub marks, uniformity, sharpness, etc... also make me wonder. I don't think it is even an old horn new carving.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 02:13:30 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 05:11:13 PM »
I also find it hilarious that a maker's mark is not found on this or the other two 'fake antiques' on his/her listings.  Good to do if one is trying to scam a buyer so it can not prove his/her line of bs on a listing.  Sellers like this one is what gives Ebay or Etsy a bad rap.  More buyers need to be educated on powder horns and there history, schools, etc, to avoid being embarrassed down the road.  Buyers beware. 
Has anyone asked the seller the name of the 'estate' being liquidated to corroborate?

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline aaronc

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 05:17:06 PM »
I also find it hilarious that a maker's mark is not found on this or the other two 'fake antiques' on his/her listings.  Good to do if one is trying to scam a buyer so it can not prove his/her line of bs on a listing.  Sellers like this one is what gives Ebay or Etsy a bad rap.  More buyers need to be educated on powder horns and there history, schools, etc, to avoid being embarrassed down the road.  Buyers beware. 
Has anyone asked the seller the name of the 'estate' being liquidated to corroborate?

Gary

I have not made any inquiry's to the seller......told the guy on the other forum to be careful if he was in the market for another old horn in the future.

I agree on all accounts on what you gentlemen have stated. I appreciate your feedback.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 05:25:01 PM »
The cartouche says:"his horn" but there is a blank spot with no name on it.  TILT!!! 
Brice Stultz

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 02:04:39 PM »
The artillery scene is copied from another well known period piece.
I believe so anyway.
Tim A
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 01:44:44 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Tecumseh

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 11:28:59 PM »
Definitely a contemporary piece being posed as an original, for multiple reasons already listed here.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 12:13:43 AM »
New horn, nicely antiqued, imho.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 09:49:36 PM »
Everything about this Horn screams made post 1992, when the Last of the Mohicans movie was released, (which spotlighted Ft William Henry, used on this horn) . I think the sellers 100% eBay satisfaction rating will be in jeopardy when the new owner gets this one for the $1200 bucks he paid.  Which would be an unbelievable steal for an actual scrimmed F&I horn - or in this case, 4 times what this contemporary horn is worth. 

While I don’t think this horn was made to be a fake, the seller is falsely portraying it as an original. Out of ignorance or knowingly lying about it, take your pick.  But It’s easy to look up what originals are bringing at auction houses, so why move it on e-bay for a tenth of what it’s worth??  I’ll let you decide.  Buyer beware!!  Especially with “original” F&I/Rev War scrimmed horns. 

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 01:28:24 PM »
I quite like the horn and think it was well done. But it sold for too much.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 02:14:11 PM »
I am not knowledgable on horns and easily fooled but there is no way I would ever believe that is an original 1700's horn.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline AZshot

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 05:00:17 PM »
I'm with you Dennis.  The part with the Indian looks right out of a comic book.  And the rest just doesn't look old.  Though I don't know horns at all, I know eBay and there are LOTS of fakes sold for high prices every day.  Lots of suckers out there with cash, hoping for a good investment.