General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Joanne's Fabric Options?

<< < (7/9) > >>

Daryl:
Joannes should have 8,9,10 & 11 ounce denims. 
Here, I've had and measured the 8 ounce as about .018 to .020" depending on make. 10 ounce at .021" to .0225" and 12 ounce at .030, 14 ounce at .034", using calipers.
With a mic, I find the 12 ounce at .025" and 14 ounce at .030".
I tried turning the barrel down on the mic. and got 14 ounce down to .002" - yes - 2 thou., so technique is VERY important and must be repeatable - by you. Measure what
works for you.  I found I cannot trust OxJoke so I do it myself. Their .018" measured .015" and their  .022" measure .018" - for me. 
.018" denim worked in my .32 and will work in my .36, but that is it. It is too thin for my larger bored rifles.

Maven:
Heading to Jo Ann Fabrics tomorrow after the gym.  I'll report on what's available tomorrow night.

Maven:
I went to JoAnn Fabrics today after the gym and pretty much found what I was looking for, but not necessarily the fabric manufacturer I sought.  To wit, there were two thickness of blue striped pillow ticking (and plenty of it), .014" and .018".  The .011" - .012" twill took a bit of searching and wasn't grouped with the "Utility Fabrics,"  but with "Sport Fabrics."  and was a different brand than I wanted ("Sew Classics" is what I was looking for.)  Btw, even though it's thiner material, I've never experienced a burned up or torn patch when using it.  From what I could see there was no shortage of fabric or panic buying of ML appropriate material and the store personnel were most helpful.  Two caveats though:  the muslin and twill fabrics almost look alike so you have to measure their thickness.  Also, you have read the data on the cloth bolt itself in order to ensure you're purchasing 100% cotton cloth.

hanshi:
IIRC these patches were fired in a .45 (.012" grooves).  But for the life of me I can't remember if it's pillow or "mattress" ticking.  The ball was .440" and maybe Hoppes lube.  They survived rather nicely.  Obviously a few years ago I'm sure.  For me that's reason enough NOT to get rid of my pretty good supply of blue, and brown, ticking.  I don't use it very often but it's nice to have it to fall back on.

Mike_StL:

I prefer the #40 Cotton Drill from Jo-Ann's.

I also did a test with 0.010 fine cotton cloth and a loose ball to see what the difference would be on target.

There's a difference but not as much as I expected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version