General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Joanne's Fabric Options?

<< < (2/9) > >>

MuskratMike:
I have used Joanne's ticking for years with good success. In the store I go to they have both red & white and blue & white if I remember right. The red & white is a little thinner for balls that are .005 of the bore and the blue & white is a little thicker for the balls that are a little smaller. Take a pair of dial calipers with you to check the thickness. Their ticking has lots of sizing in it so if you aren't sure after measuring have them cut a decent size sample of each and take them home and wash and dry them. You will probably have to iron them after. Just remember all patches get a little thicker after lubing them.

Mad Monk:
see if they still carry #40 cotton drill.  When I bought it it was .020"  Heavy threads in both directions.   Very tight weave.  Was once known as pocket drill.  It was used to make pockets in men's work pants.  Strong and abrasion resistant.   

ScottH:
"see if they still carry #40 cotton drill.  When I bought it it was .020"  Heavy threads in both directions.   Very tight weave.  Was once known as pocket drill.  It was used to make pockets in men's work pants.  Strong and abrasion resistant." 

This!

Mad Monk:

--- Quote from: ScottH on December 03, 2021, 09:56:40 PM ---"see if they still carry #40 cotton drill.  When I bought it it was .020"  Heavy threads in both directions.   Very tight weave.  Was once known as pocket drill.  It was used to make pockets in men's work pants.  Strong and abrasion resistant." 

This!

--- End quote ---

There is a funny story to this.
I stopped at the local JoAnne Fabric out in Muhllenberg Twp. outside or Reading.  Headed to the cotton fabric table at the rear of the store and found the #40 cotton drill bolt. Pulled some off for a fell.  An elderly woman clerk then stood next to me.  She said; "Let me quess you shoot muzzleloaders."  I was sort of in shock.  A shooter in those stores???  She then went on.  "My late husband built longrifles and would use only that cotton drill.   Said about the work pants pocket thing.  Then went on that he son now builds the longrifles the the #40 cotton drill is all that he uses for patches.  Told me to look at the weave with a magnifier when I get it home and I will se why it is so good. 

Forgot to mention.  I would haunt the cotton fabric sale table looking for price cuts on heavy flannel normally used pajamas.  Real good for between shot bore swabs and after shooting cleaning.  The heavy cotton flannel will hold a lot of soapy water or liquid bore cleaner.

RANGER94:
Hey Mad Monk - i am not to far from you.  I have a big customer off of Marion Avenue in Laureldale (I am in chemical sales).  I live in South Jersey, but am in PA often.  I am a member at Delaware County Field & Stream. Small world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version