Author Topic: Joanne's Fabric Options?  (Read 3922 times)

Offline RANGER94

Joanne's Fabric Options?
« on: December 03, 2021, 05:47:53 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I apologize if this has been covered in the past.  I am getting ready to run to Joanne’s fabric to by different patching material.

So far I have used:
Joanne’ Fabric 10oz Natural Bull Denim = .026 (to tight in all of my guns)
Joanne’s Fabric 7oz Natural Medium Wash Denim = .020 (not to bad but can be tight).

What other recommendations would you have me pick up?  I want to try several different types & thicknesses.   This is for incoming TVM .54 Iron PA rifle.
Thanks!!

Ranger94

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Joanne's Fabric Options?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 06:21:42 PM »
It is best to take your mic with you, I have the same denim you have and one that is .018. I have blue pillow ticking that is .018, .015 and .012 and some red that is .010. I also have some cotton drill cloth that is .014(good stuff) and some tight weave linen that is .011 but didn't hold up to being good patching. All from JoAnn's.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 06:25:37 PM »
I generally use pillow ticking in the range of .016" to .017" thick.  Old bluejeans are another source different thicknesses - handy when experimenting.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 06:26:43 PM »
My wife, the seamstress, says no, use pillow ticking.  That’s what we’ve always used.  She says muslin will work nicely also.  Muslin is less thick than pillow ticking and pillow ticking is less thick than the denims.  Denim can have man made fibers in the blend which may melt.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 06:39:37 PM »
Fabric strength is important. I avoid cotton fabrics that are not tightly woven and strong by a “rip test”. Make a snip 1” from a corner of the fabric and rip a strip off. This cannot be done with some linen fabrics.
Andover, Vermont

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 08:09:47 PM »
I have used Joanne's ticking for years with good success. In the store I go to they have both red & white and blue & white if I remember right. The red & white is a little thinner for balls that are .005 of the bore and the blue & white is a little thicker for the balls that are a little smaller. Take a pair of dial calipers with you to check the thickness. Their ticking has lots of sizing in it so if you aren't sure after measuring have them cut a decent size sample of each and take them home and wash and dry them. You will probably have to iron them after. Just remember all patches get a little thicker after lubing them.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 09:31:15 PM »
see if they still carry #40 cotton drill.  When I bought it it was .020"  Heavy threads in both directions.   Very tight weave.  Was once known as pocket drill.  It was used to make pockets in men's work pants.  Strong and abrasion resistant.   

Offline ScottH

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 09:56:40 PM »
"see if they still carry #40 cotton drill.  When I bought it it was .020"  Heavy threads in both directions.   Very tight weave.  Was once known as pocket drill.  It was used to make pockets in men's work pants.  Strong and abrasion resistant." 

This!

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 11:27:28 PM »
"see if they still carry #40 cotton drill.  When I bought it it was .020"  Heavy threads in both directions.   Very tight weave.  Was once known as pocket drill.  It was used to make pockets in men's work pants.  Strong and abrasion resistant." 

This!

There is a funny story to this.
I stopped at the local JoAnne Fabric out in Muhllenberg Twp. outside or Reading.  Headed to the cotton fabric table at the rear of the store and found the #40 cotton drill bolt. Pulled some off for a fell.  An elderly woman clerk then stood next to me.  She said; "Let me quess you shoot muzzleloaders."  I was sort of in shock.  A shooter in those stores???  She then went on.  "My late husband built longrifles and would use only that cotton drill.   Said about the work pants pocket thing.  Then went on that he son now builds the longrifles the the #40 cotton drill is all that he uses for patches.  Told me to look at the weave with a magnifier when I get it home and I will se why it is so good. 

Forgot to mention.  I would haunt the cotton fabric sale table looking for price cuts on heavy flannel normally used pajamas.  Real good for between shot bore swabs and after shooting cleaning.  The heavy cotton flannel will hold a lot of soapy water or liquid bore cleaner.

Offline RANGER94

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 12:10:13 AM »
Hey Mad Monk - i am not to far from you.  I have a big customer off of Marion Avenue in Laureldale (I am in chemical sales).  I live in South Jersey, but am in PA often.  I am a member at Delaware County Field & Stream. Small world.

Online Daryl

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 02:26:31 AM »
The current 10 ounce denim here, measures with my calipers, hard compressed, is .021". The last 4 meters I purchased prior to this bunch, measure with the same calipers at
.0225". So - there is some thickness difference, depending on the mfgr'.
This is for 100% cotton, no man-made fabrics included, although some denim does have these, but they are marked on the bolt label.
Always use 100% cotton or 100% linen, no matter what patching you use - no synthetics.  If you pull a few fibers free and light them, they will burn cleanly, it's no melting - and where you snuff
it out with your fingers, only chared cloth remains, no hard deposits in the burn section, only soft charred cloth.
We were able, years ago now, to find a 100% cotton mattress ticking, that measure in those same calipers at .0235". it was wonderful material and I am almost out of it - just a few scraps left.
I used that stuff in my .40 Goodoien Barrel with a .395 as well as the .400" balls. Used it in the .45 GM bl. with .445" balls, in my .32 with .311" and .320" balls as well as the .50, with .495" balls.
I use the .0225" denim in all of those as well, with the same .005" under sized as well as the bore sized balls.  My current .021" 10 ounce denim patches work just fine with the .495" ball in the
Beck .50 with Rice Gun Maker's bl. as well as my new Rice .36 with the .350" AND some .360" balls I purchased at Hefley, 2 years ago. Those were my best groups on the last postal match. .360"
ball and .021" 10 ounce denim patch. I was using spit, but lube really didn't matter. Any of the oils or greases I've used, loads easier than spit or a water based lubes. With a small bore and the
mink oil, loaded gets easier after the first shot, that is, the 2nd through 50th are easier, but about the same as the 2nd and 3rd.
In my big bore, I found 12 ounce and 14 ounce denims to give the best accuracy, in that one, I use .682" as well as .675" balls.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 10:10:57 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 02:44:18 AM »

This!
This is what I use. They still sell it. It has a tighter weave than pillow ticking.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 03:42:46 AM »
Pocket drill is good stuff.  No doubt.  But, I'm sold on cotton duck.  If you find that the thickness works for you, you'll likely never look back.

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 04:16:05 AM »
Is the 40 the weight or the width of the fabric?

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 04:19:46 AM »
Is the 40 the weight or the width of the fabric?

My understanding is that #40 is the width.  But the other widths may not be the same thickness.

Offline hudson

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2021, 05:46:27 PM »
I load tight and in the past used .020 Teflon with various lubes nothing else matched it. From this forum this was mentioned 10.10 oz Army Duct. Bought it tried it now all I use. That stuff is so tight a weave I had to go down .005 on ball size just to get it in the barrel.
https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/army-duck/10-10-oz-60-inches-wide/

Offline AZshot

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2021, 05:53:08 PM »
In my quest for thin but strong, I've wondered if silk would work for patches?  I buy a lot of silk shirts, and after a year or two of washing, they get a hole and have to become rags.  Is there any reason silk would not work, if the right thickness?  It's a very tight fabric, but may be abrasive at shooting velocities or something.

Either way, I'm going to run to a Joanne's this weekend and go through the drill.  No pun.

Offline recurve

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2021, 06:30:18 PM »
when denim is to tight I use #40 drill cloth

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2021, 10:18:54 PM »
In my quest for thin but strong, I've wondered if silk would work for patches?  I buy a lot of silk shirts, and after a year or two of washing, they get a hole and have to become rags.  Is there any reason silk would not work, if the right thickness?  It's a very tight fabric, but may be abrasive at shooting velocities or something.

Either way, I'm going to run to a Joanne's this weekend and go through the drill.  No pun.

I don't think the silk patch would work.  Silk is a very fine thread of protein created by the silkworms.  I don't think it will tolerate the high gas temperatures produced by black powder.  Sort of like the hair on my hand when it is too close to a pile of black powder I ignited in a test.  Sort of burned and melted curled ends.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2021, 11:53:56 PM »
I still have a good supply of pillow ticking (.015"), mattress ticking (.018"), cotton duck (not sure but maybe .018"-.020") and heavy, unbleached canvas (.023" to .024"), all measured compressed.  I have yet to acquire any denim except for a few blue jean scraps.  The mattress ticking I have is either blue striped or brown striped, measures the same and works pretty well in bores cut .010" to .012" deep.  Also got a supply of red ticking but it is useless for patches at about .010".

I have rather limited use for the pillow ticking but occasionally use the mattress ticking in one or two guns.  The canvas duck is great stuff and is also used quite a bit.  But my go-to for some time has been the heavy canvas.  It was first used in the deep groove radius cut barrels.  But then I found it was equally good in square cut rifling .010" - .012" deep.  It is the only patching I use for radius groove barrels.  A lot depends on what barrel a particular material is used in.  My .50 pistol uses pillow ticking but not any of the rifles.  It also does well for patched ball in my smoothbore.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Sc0-

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »
Just picked up 22yds of #40 Drill Cloth, cotton and made in India.  After washing and drying, I mic'd it at .018+.  Purchased for use in .45 and .54 Kiblers, best description of the drill cloth is a lighter duty canvas.

Coupons that might help:
https://www.joann.com/coupon/?icn=global-deals&ici=25tp-fsnm

Online Daryl

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2021, 09:53:52 PM »
Sounds like that should work. Did you measured it with a mic, or calipers?
Daryl

Offline Sc0-

• Starting Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2021, 05:01:53 AM »
Micrometer

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2021, 06:27:10 AM »

I don't think the silk patch would work.  Silk is a very fine thread of protein created by the silkworms.  I don't think it will tolerate the high gas temperatures produced by black powder.  Sort of like the hair on my hand when it is too close to a pile of black powder I ignited in a test.  Sort of burned and melted curled ends.

That can't be right...

"Silk... 'nother 40 yards."  ;)

Mike

Online Daryl

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »
Only in Holly Woods. ;D ;D
Daryl