Author Topic: Thimble Length on Augusta Co. VA Rifles CA 1760 - 1780  (Read 558 times)

Offline bluenoser

Thimble Length on Augusta Co. VA Rifles CA 1760 - 1780
« on: December 04, 2021, 03:23:26 AM »
My current build is intended to represent a rifle that might have come out of Augusta Co. VA circa 1760 - 1780 and I am using RCA 109 on pages 470 -473 in RCA II as a model.  I realize RCA 109 is currently considered to be of uncertain origin, but it was previously believed to be from Augusta Co. VA, and was presented as such by Wallace Gusler in his presentation to the KRA (ref. Bulletin 74:2-22).  Although my build is not intended to be an accurate recreation of 109, the architecture strongly reflects what I hope to accomplish.
My question concerns typical thimble lengths on rifles from the region and timeframe.  I have been able to scale the features of RCA 109 reasonably accurately and was surprised to discover the middle and upper thimbles scale to right around 2 inches.  That is a long way from the more commonly seen approximately 1 1/2 inches.  I found the following when scanning through the Rifles of Southern Origin section of RCA II:
RCA 124 - Shenandoah Valley - thimbles scale at approximately 1.76 inches;
RCA 125 - Valley of Virginia - thimbles scale at approximately 1.90 inches;
RCA 130 - Augusta Co. VA - thimbles scale at approximately 1.70 inches.
I intend to make the thimbles and would like to size them appropriately for the region and timeframe.  What would those with knowledge of the subject recommend?
Any and all comments will be appreciated.