Author Topic: Thoughts on building a .22 cal. ML ?  (Read 3852 times)

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Thoughts on building a .22 cal. ML ?
« on: December 05, 2021, 04:17:50 AM »
Anyone out there that has built a .22 caliber muzzleloader, or shot one at least ?  I saw one years ago at a Rondy in Washington state but never saw it fired.
 I have a 10-22 bbl. and am thinking about trying a pistol with it.  Any ideas guys ?............old dog
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 04:47:49 AM by gunmaker »

Offline Daryl

Re: Thoughts on building a .22 cal. ML ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 05:22:53 AM »
16" rifling rate of twist might work for a pistol.
Changed my mind. The rifling is quite shallow, though,
like around .002" to .003" deep.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 05:26:43 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 12:59:51 PM »
Built 2 for a friend way back when from a 10-22 barrel both were percussion, they shot pretty well out to maybe 20 yards, he used some size of a BB but dont remember what it was or what powder charge he used, i know it wasnt much, i have a .22 pistol barrel that was going to be used for another one but never got around to it,,its fully threaded for a breech plug
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Gordy

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 02:44:58 PM »
I shoot one monthly at our clubs pistol shoot. Shoots very good and is easy on powder and lead. My pistol has a Wilson Match  AR 1-7 twist barrel. Underhammer percussion, i shoot 7 grains of O.E. runs through my chronograph at 1085fps.

Offline xx54

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 05:22:19 PM »
I built one years ago in a miniature rifle style. It had a Marlin Glenfield barrel with micro grooved riflings. I hand swamped the barrel and made everything else from scratch. It was a flintlock. It shot really well and I used 22 caliber pellets in it. I have a small bore octagon to round smooth bore barrel. I have plans to build another small scale downed rifle but I don't know whether I will ever get to it or not.

XX54

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 07:10:24 PM »
I built 2 of these in the woodworking shop at Huntington High School in 1954.One was for E.M.Farris and one for me.One round barrel and one octagon.I don't remember how they shot.Can anyone now even try to make such a thing in a school shop today?I don't think there is any risk involved because hand skills are not taught in schools or encouraged in most venues.No shop classes at all makes it a moot point.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 07:29:26 PM »
The use of .22 pellets might be a great option. There are many different designs, by JSB, H&N and Eungin from South Korea
having some grooves for lube.

Daryl

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 07:58:41 PM »
I have one I made up from various parts.  It is a percussion gun using a pistol lock.  a friend helped me to make a ambidextrous stock for teaching in the youth program in our club.  I have used .224 conical bullets made for the North American arms mini revolver, but the best accuracy (sub 1" at 30 yards benched) was with .224 Pyramid Air gun HP slugs.  The concave base of the slugs is filled with mink oil lube.  Alot easier to load slugs than trying to load patched BB balls.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 11:47:59 PM »
Thanks guys, I've been looking at those .22 pellets also "T" size shot is .20" but long bullets may be ticket more weight there.
7 grains ? should do it, friend uses 9 gr. in .45 pistol very accurate....old dog

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 01:39:22 AM »
Air rifle pellets and now bullets also, are made in weights in .22 cal., not counting the alloy, non-lead ones, run normally from about 12gr. to about 35gr.
The average in .22 cal. are 14 to 16gr. Filing the cupped base of a Diabolo (waisted) pellet might be the best route for lube. The yary very soft lead, so
should be extremely easily loading.
Pyramid Air, Utah Air Guns and Air guns of Arizona might be the best locations for a wide variety of pellets.  They also have pellet assortment packs for sale
with a variety in one package for testing accuracy.

https://www.pyramydair.com/ammo
https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/ammo
https://utahairguns.com/pellets

Daryl

Offline Fyrstyk

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 02:07:19 AM »
I had problems loading the wasp waited pellet in my gun using only 5 grains of 4f.  The skirts would blow off and remain stuck in the barrel and had to be reamed out.  The Pyramid air gun slugs are not wasp waisted, they are 30 grains with a hollow point, and a concave base for lube.  These were the only .224 caliber slugs that I found that shot really well.
I don't know what velocity I am getting with these slugs and 5 grains of 4F, but the slugs almost completely penetrate a 3/4" pine board at 25 yards, which is good enough for targets, and the few squirrels that I have shot with it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 09:19:42 PM »
I had problems loading the wasp waited pellet in my gun using only 5 grains of 4f.  The skirts would blow off and remain stuck in the barrel and had to be reamed out.  The Pyramid air gun slugs are not wasp waisted, they are 30 grains with a hollow point, and a concave base for lube.  These were the only .224 caliber slugs that I found that shot really well.
I don't know what velocity I am getting with these slugs and 5 grains of 4F, but the slugs almost completely penetrate a 3/4" pine board at 25 yards, which is good enough for targets, and the few squirrels that I have shot with it.

I looked on Pyramid Air and could not find any Pyramid Air Gun slugs. I found slugs by a number of manufacturers, but noneby Pyramid Air. What slugs are you talking about, please?

Different makes of waisted pellets have different thicknesses of the base itself, some thin, some thick, thus different strengths. .22 calibre Slugs come in sizes from .216 to .218". I have not
seen any larger than those I just listed. Most .22's have a .222" groove diameter, thus the slugs are not .224 or you would not be able to load them. The actual size matters. The actual bore
size of the rifle barrel is important, as a pellet that is just a 'hair' larger might be best. As noted, they come in sizes from .216" to .218" & from a variety of manufacturers, none of which are Pyramid, that I have seen. Details matter.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 09:25:27 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 11:31:54 PM »
cone the muzzles :P  ;D

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Fyrstyk

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 01:56:49 AM »
I'm sorry, The slugs I was talking about are from AVG.  They have slugs going up to 40 grains, and from .220-.224.  Just do a search for air gun slugs and they should come up.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 07:38:17 AM »
I didn't see those at Pyramid.

I tried Google (AVG Air Gun Slugs) and that didn't work.

In .22 cal slugs, Google immediately sent me to Air gun Source
They sell:

JSB Knockouts
Wildman
HSA,
FX,
& H&N

I saw none of the size you mention.

I would really like to find those. would you please post the link to THEIR site.
Daryl

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2021, 02:00:31 AM »
How about a 25 cal. Longrifle.?
Any out there?

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Gordy

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2021, 02:33:24 AM »
I am shootin the Gamo 5.5 mm pure lead round balls. They weigh 15.5 grains, mic at .214-.216 or so. Using a .009 thick teflon patch. Have also shot the Ballistic Products Balls, they mic .212-.214, shoot a .013 ticking patch with them. They seem to have some antimony in them, they are quite a bit harder.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2021, 03:27:59 PM »
Any out there?

Bob
Had an ash stocked 29 cal that was too small for me. It had a Bill Large barrel and shot very good. But hated to clean it and also hard to seat balls with tight patches. I prefer a 36 cal myself.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fyrstyk

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2021, 04:04:37 PM »
I didn't see those at Pyramid.

I tried Google (AVG Air Gun Slugs) and that didn't work.

In .22 cal slugs, Google immediately sent me to Air gun Source
They sell:

JSB Knockouts
Wildman
HSA,
FX,
& H&N

I saw none of the size you mention.

I would really like to find those. would you please post the link to THEIR site.
  Attached is the link to the slugs I was talking about.https://avsslugs.com/

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2021, 11:54:27 PM »
cone the muzzles :P  ;D

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Yes and then forget these flimsy pellets and get a mould that makes a 40+ grain grooved bullet.
Bob Roller

Cracker Lee

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2021, 09:44:52 AM »

There are German companies that make .22 cal slugs now.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2021, 11:10:42 AM »
Any out there?

Bob

Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2021, 11:13:30 AM »

There are German companies that make .22 cal slugs now.

Both H&N and JSB make slugs now.
Daryl

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2021, 02:53:59 PM »
Daryl, that’s one fine rifle...! Thanks for showing it.

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2021, 07:46:16 PM »
The first ML I made was 22 cal.  1975.  It was a snapping matchlock.  I got lucky and the barrel had rifling that worked.  I use Benjamin 22 pellets.  They did not load as made, the skirt was flared.  I did not know about coning muzzles.  I made a little size die and pushed the pellets'  through with a dowel.  They then loaded easily.  I did not fill the bases with lube.  The accuracy was about the same as my Benjamin air rifle.