Author Topic: Allentown stock choices  (Read 826 times)

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

Allentown stock choices
« on: December 07, 2021, 09:15:58 PM »
I have all the parts I need for my new Allentown/Lehigh style build, except for the stock. Every original I have been able to find seems to be maple. Were any other woods used by the Allentown gunsmiths? While I love curly maple, I am beginning to appreciate walnut stocked longrifles also.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Allentown stock choices
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 09:49:47 PM »
I cannot recall seeing an original Lehigh/Allentown rifle in anything other than maple.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 10:06:14 PM »
I've seen plain guns in both walnut and cherry, but every one that I've ever seen that was carved was in maple.  And probably 95% or them or more are in maple, either plain or carved.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 10:21:28 PM »
Wm Antes swivel barrel rifle was stocked in walnut and has Allentown-ish lines. It’s gun 54 in Rifles of Colonial America. Check it out.
Andover, Vermont

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 05:44:22 AM »
Maple it is then. That is what I suspected. I'm okay with it. As much as I would fancy a walnut rifle, I'll wait to have one made in a style that would better fit. Now to decide what grade maple. Decisions, decisions.