Author Topic: Files (again sorry)  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Scota4570

Files (again sorry)
« on: December 09, 2021, 08:56:41 PM »
I am fed up with hardware store files.  I am looking for links to specific files that you use most often. 

I have at least 100 files, only a few are decent.  I have a bunch of new 14" bastard files for striking barrels, so I am good there.

Other than that I want replacements,  I am looking for smaller files, round, slitting, triangular, half rounds, mill files and such.  I'm ready to put together a good line up of quality files. 

Thanks,
Scot

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Files (again sorry)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 09:14:12 PM »
I’ve had great results from Plasti-Cut file Co. you can do a search and find them. They are as good as or better than the good ones that we could buy anywhere.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 09:19:24 PM »
Check on Kibler's web site he recommends a brand name that he finds works well - I forgot the name - I think it's Braco or something like that
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 09:23:35 PM »
The name of the files IS,, BAHCO''

Offline DavidC

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 09:49:11 PM »
Woodworker Paul sellers has also spoken well of bahco files. I love mine for dovetails in metal and sharpening saw teeth.

Offline Woodland

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 12:25:02 AM »
I used to only buy Nicholson, but the newer ones seem not to last as well.  I happen to own a hardware store and grabbed a handful of the brand we sell there one day, they turned out to be outstanding files!  They are made by Mercer Industries.  They are fair priced and quality tools.  I believe you can find them on amazon.

jon

Online 44-henry

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 06:26:41 AM »
I send my older files to Boggs and they will resharpen them.

https://boggstool.com/file-%26-rasp-services

Offline Nazgul

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 01:47:44 PM »
I have several Bahco and Grobet files and like them. Seem to hold up well.

Don

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Built 1st gun in dorm room at college
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 02:23:13 PM »
One thing I have done is to give my files a soak in regular old household vinegar for several days, then rise them off and dry.   I think this has been mentioned previously.    It etches the cutting edges and really brings back a lot of life to them.   Its not a replacement for a first class file, but will give you a little more use before you make knives out if them. 
Mike Mullins

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 03:00:44 PM »
I have several files I use daily that were pickled in vinegar and they cut as good as they did when new.
Once proud names in files have been degraded by send the manufacturing to countries that have little\industrial know how.
I have 2 sets of miniature files,one is from Germany and were costly in 1980.The other set is from China and I bought them
for no real reason than the size for $9 new at a nearby supply house.They do a better job than the German set for the small
jobs I need them for.Also used them a lot in lock making.
Bob Roller

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 06:57:47 AM »
Rio Grande and Gesswien both have a nice variety of Grobet and friedrich Dick files which are excellent. Once you either you will pitch your Nicholsons, even the old USA made ones into the scrap box. I have some Grobets my wife bought me for our first Christmas 40 years ago that are still as good as new. My grandfather taught me 2 things about files which I religiously follow to this day. Never let a file touch another file, keep them stored in a block, not a drawer and a file is a cutting instrument, not an abrasive. Rubbing a file across your work like it is a piece of sandpaper will render the best file useless in short order. To follow up on what Bob Roller says, a few years ago I bought a few triangular files, made in China for no other reason than that they were parallel sided and $1.00 each. They turned out to be excellent, razor sharp and still in perfect order. You just never know with Chinese stuff.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mikeyfirelock

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 07:14:47 AM »
I will repeat…….soak those files in vinegar…. You will be pleasantly surprised at the difference. 
Mike Mullins

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 04:46:03 PM »
I have a pretty wide assortment of Grobet files and really like them.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Online ed lundquist

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 05:21:56 PM »
I had good response from these guys, Grobets. Bought handles for everything too. www.msdiscounttool.com

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 09:03:56 PM »
Thanks for the responses. 

Many of my files are hardware store  Nicholson. The recent ones are soft steel.  Old old ones are truly shot.  The newer ones only cut for a short time then glaze over.  Sharpening them at Boggs or with vinegar is pointless. 

That is why I am looking to buy a bunch of good files.  The clutter and frustration is distracting from getting anything done. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2021, 09:23:03 PM »
Thanks for the responses. 

Many of my files are hardware store  Nicholson. The recent ones are soft steel.  Old old ones are truly shot.  The newer ones only cut for a short time then glaze over.  Sharpening them at Boggs or with vinegar is pointless. 

That is why I am looking to buy a bunch of good files.  The clutter and frustration is distracting from getting anything done.

I started a thread here on refreshing our files with acetic acid a year or three back.  I've received a few "thanks" for that thread. Go ahead and get some new ones, but try dunking a few of the old ones to see what happens.  The very first ones I tried were in horrible condition before soaking (pitted and everything) BUT came back cutting strong after a soak.  I have no idea how many times a file will improve with soaking but I'm positive once or twice is possible.

My method: place files into vat of vinegar, let soak until the bubble stop.  Then rinse them off, blast with air and get some oil onto them as they'll readily rust in humid air after being stripped like that. 

Also note that it makes a horrible, pond muddy stench in the vat. I'd not let the Boss catch you doing this in any of her zones (if I had one).  If you've ever pulled a piece of steel or iron out of a river bottom or pond, encrusted in black--that's what it smells like.  Also I've found that the vinegar soak highlights the transition between heat-treated steel and the rest. It's easily seen on axe heads and probably the tangs of files.

edit: SO now I go to yard sales, flea markets, junk stores, antique malls, etc looking for good candidates to refurbish.  The old files are out there, but they're ugly and dull.  Which makes them ridiculously cheap.  8)

The 2018 thread: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=48947.msg592792#msg592792
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 09:27:46 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 10:35:25 PM »
I used to only buy Nicholson, but the newer ones seem not to last as well.  I happen to own a hardware store and grabbed a handful of the brand we sell there one day, they turned out to be outstanding files!  They are made by Mercer Industries.  They are fair priced and quality tools.  I believe you can find them on amazon.

jon
I have a few of these in "lathe files" and find them to last and are of good quality ;). I use them on the lathe and for draw filing. I like them :D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline mikeyfirelock

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2021, 08:29:35 PM »
Wade’s original post was, I think, the source for my using vinegar.to soak files, and I’d like to credit him for the idea. Thank you, Wade.  It’s saved me a lot of headaches ( and money)
Mike Mullins

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2021, 03:18:32 AM »
Wade’s original post was, I think, the source for my using vinegar.to soak files, and I’d like to credit him for the idea. Thank you, Wade.  It’s saved me a lot of headaches ( and money)

That's what I'm here for. To learn, get advice, and to dispense some of what I know-when I know something relevant such that it might help others. You're welcome.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2021, 06:33:35 AM »
My second batch of files is in the vinegar now. First batch of eight files came out sharp. This works great.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2021, 09:38:12 PM »
I have seen the light and I am a believer!
I was a skeptic.  I don't recall how many years ago I first saw a reference to renewing files with vinegar, but do recall seeing numerous claims that it simply does not work.  I believed the latter.

I have a LOT of files and keep my files for wood separate from my files for metal.  I went on a tear last week and cleaned and sorted all of my files for metal - pitching all the worn out files into the scrap metal bin.  There were about 14 of them ranging from a 6" flat cut 4 to a 10" crosscut and a 14" lathe file and a very abused half-round rasp.  Then I got to thinking about Wade's post and thought - what do I have to lose.  I cut a few pieces of 2" ABS pipe at appropriate lengths for the files, installed end caps, dumped the files in and added 10% cleaning vinegar.  When I hauled them out 48 hours later, I was dumbfounded.  All of the files, with the exception of that abused rasp cut about like they did when they were new.

It is pretty much impossible to find a new North American made file these days.  This trick has given me a way to extend the lives of those I do have and perhaps renew a few junk shop and yard sale finds.
This probably comes across as overly dramatic but that is exactly how I feel about it.

Thank you Wade!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2021, 02:18:01 AM »
Glad it's working out for those who try it.

Haven't tried any "high proof" vinegar, the 5% food type is what I use. I'd imagine that it speeds up the process. 

Also note that the grungy solution of iron and vinegar left over can be used to stain wood and requires no blushing. See "iron acetate".
Hold to the Wind

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2021, 02:42:41 AM »
Good point but use it promptly.  The iron acetate stain has a short shelf life.