Author Topic: Dont blow down the barrel, Bubba !!  (Read 2721 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Dont blow down the barrel, Bubba !!
« on: December 11, 2021, 05:26:21 AM »
Good evening, all; back in 2010 when I got back into this great hobby, my first day at the club range, it didn't take long before range officer and others, told me that this practice was not kosher anymore, and told me why. I totally agree with this rule.
Question is, we have a couple newbies that may need to read this, as I recall reading an article from NMLRA about it. Is this article posted on here someplace so I can copy it off for them?
Thanks, and best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Daryl

Re: Dont blow down the barrel, Bubba !!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 08:15:47 AM »
I can see Mike's point about making sure the vent is clear. Softening the fouling is never a consideration for me, even with single digit humidity.
Loading the next round, even with what some people think are excessively tight loads, is easy.  However, when I push that load down, the air between the ball and the breech
gets blasted out the vent or nipple, expelling the smoke from the last shot that remains, and proving the vent is clear visually, as well as by the sound.
I absolutely feel no need whatsoever, to blow down the barrel after a shot is fired.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 12:33:38 PM »
I use a thin brass pick right before priming the pan.  Not to ensure the vent/touch hole is clear. I do it to double check my seating is correct, and make a channel into the powder charge for faster flame access to the full charge.  If I don’t feel a “crunch” of powder resisting the pick, the ball is not seated. It is my “safety” against ringing a barrel.  It also clears the vent as a secondary benefit. God bless, Marc

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 04:23:22 PM »
Sept. 2017 there was a 5 page discussion on this topic before it was closed by the monitors.
I for one have always have blown down the barrel of my flintlocks for two reasons. 1. To soften the fouling, 2. To show my vent hole is clear.
I know if my rifle has discharged its load or not! If there comes a time I get so feeble to not know for sure I will hang up my riles. If for some reason I have not experienced yet I am not 100% sure I would not blow down the barrel.
I know the N.M.L.R.A. and many clubs have a policy against it I have never been given a reasonable, provable reason for its existence. If you don't want to its your choice. Either don't do it or use a blow tube, but the "Muskrat" will continue to do it.

I fully agree with you.  It is my practice also.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 05:24:29 PM »
On my range; Placing your lips over the muzzle of any firearm will get you a friendly warning on the first offense. On the second offense you will get to hear my big voice. Generally that stops this practice. I’ve never had to put anyone in “time out” yet.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 05:54:11 PM »
Predictably, folks have strong views on this. But we are not on a shooting line together and there’s no range officer here.

For: “I’ll do as I please. I know what I’m doing, been doing it for 40 years. Who are you to tell me what to do or not do?

Against: “This goes against all basic safety rules and accidents do happen. It’s a bad practice and doing it perpetuates a bad practice, and someday some inexperienced person is going to lose their face or their life.”

Does that sum it up?
Andover, Vermont

Offline JPK

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 06:17:02 PM »
The question I have is, the story of some one having a gun discharge as they were blowing down the barrel. This must of been a news story with names and places, I would be interested in seeing the details.
When we started in this sport every one did this and after being away for a while attend a match and was told the story and abide by their rule but nevertheless would like to see the document.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline little joe

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 06:25:40 PM »
Muskrat Mike When the rule came years ago I supported it. Never saw anyone blow down  a loaded one however have saw one guy start to blow down a live bbl befour we got him stoped. Every crappy safety rule we have, some one has paid with blood or life.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 07:54:38 PM »
It's as simple as just following the particular rules of the playground you are attending.
I have frequently had people, upon my direction point their shotgun at my eye. This of course was involving a fitting and in my own controlled environment but an absolute contradiction of basic gun safety in terms of normal circumstances.  It would not happen even on my personal range with any other person doing that very same maneuver. My rules, my control. Same thing with the above topic. Very easy to get distracted with multiple people on a firing line and liabilities fly everywhere when hospital/funeral bills come in or insurance is involved.

Offline Frank

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 08:36:20 PM »
Seems like today most everyone has a short attention span and are easily distracted. That was not the case when I first started black powder shooting back in the 1970s. Just pay attention to what you are doing and there won't be any accidents. We also have what I call the instant expert phenomenon in today's world. These are the people who have been doing something for about six months and talk like they know it all.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 10:14:43 PM »
I was taught to shoot by a Marine vet who served during Korea to not even look down the bore from the muzzle. A few minutes later I caught him doing exactly that. Do as I say :o
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline JHeath

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 11:12:11 PM »
This has nothing to do with whether blowing down the muzzle is safe, or necessary.

It has nothing to do with the range officer telling you how to live your life.

The range officer needs to be able to look down the line and recognize hazards. When you blow down the muzzle, he cannot know if your gun is loaded, or cocked. He cannot know if you are a newbie, or an idiot he hasn't met before. And he can't make exceptions for people he knows.

The rule at a range is always "never point a gun at anybody" including yourself. It has to be.

Offline JHeath

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 11:25:07 PM »
ML blow tube...
Cheers,
R

Ron T, problem solved. Did you buy that at the cannabis shop or must I make my own?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 06:04:56 PM »
This has nothing to do with whether blowing down the muzzle is safe, or necessary.

It has nothing to do with the range officer telling you how to live your life.

The range officer needs to be able to look down the line and recognize hazards. When you blow down the muzzle, he cannot know if your gun is loaded, or cocked. He cannot know if you are a newbie, or an idiot he hasn't met before. And he can't make exceptions for people he knows.

The rule at a range is always "never point a gun at anybody" including yourself. It has to be.

This is what society is.  It is when individuals come together, and almost without exception, there are rules of such gatherings of individuals that may not apply to those individuals when apart from the group. Those rules are needed to keep civility and safety and others such needs at the group deems appropriate.

Individuals in the group must "give up" some "liberty" to serve the needs of the group. Consider how this applies to everything for a big-picture view.
Hold to the Wind

Offline J Henry

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 07:35:04 PM »
    R,S,O, should throw you off the line. first time   life second time,

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 11:03:35 PM »
Many years ago, winter 1982 IIRC, at a shoot at our club range, we witnessed an event that has remained firmly etched in our memories regarding this very subject.
In those days, we all blew down our barrels until this incident.  One of our shooters, using a caplock reproduction rifle, had a misfire during a shooting sequence.  His cap fired but the charge didn't.  He was so engrained in blowing down his muzzle that he dropped the butt to the ground, placed his mouth over the muzzle and blew.  All of this was in only seconds after the misfire, and as we watched, we were all too gobsmacked to say anything for several seconds.  Obviously, he was unable to blow through his barrel, and fortunately, it didn't hangfire and blow out the back of his head.  It all happened so fast that we were unable to prevent it, and that memory and the stupid look on his face when we finally came to our senses and shouted at him, will never leave our memories. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online lexington1

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2021, 02:11:47 AM »
Many years ago, winter 1982 IIRC, at a shoot at our club range, we witnessed an event that has remained firmly etched in our memories regarding this very subject.
In those days, we all blew down our barrels until this incident.  One of our shooters, using a caplock reproduction rifle, had a misfire during a shooting sequence.  His cap fired but the charge didn't.  He was so engrained in blowing down his muzzle that he dropped the butt to the ground, placed his mouth over the muzzle and blew.  All of this was in only seconds after the misfire, and as we watched, we were all too gobsmacked to say anything for several seconds.  Obviously, he was unable to blow through his barrel, and fortunately, it didn't hangfire and blow out the back of his head.  It all happened so fast that we were unable to prevent it, and that memory and the stupid look on his face when we finally came to our senses and shouted at him, will never leave our memories.

I was always one that blew down the barrel. I was taught that way and it became ingrained in my mind. Then I saw the same thing happen that you are talking about and the little bell went off in my head. It finally made sense to me why it was so dangerous. I haven't done it since.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2021, 07:05:21 AM »
Ya know why stupid people are stupid? And their numbers seem to be increasing?
For the same reason rude people, and inconsiderate people, and lazy people are the way they are.

BECAUSE WE AS A SOCIETY LET THEM! No consequences!
We have made it easy and acceptable for people to be stupid. Warning labels on everything, stupid rules applied to everyone rather than dealing with morons on a case by case basis.
If some idiot puts there mouth over the muzzle of a loaded gun,,,,  WHY ARE WE STOPPING THEM?! Let Darwin have his way.
I know this seems harsh. But, enough is enough.

If person "A" has the presence of mind to keep track of his/her actions and blow down their barrel, never putting there face in front of it AFTER it is loaded, and is willing to take any other risks involved,,, that is person "A"'s business
If person "B" doesn't have that presence of mind, and is to dumb to realize he/she can't keep track of such things,,, let then deal with any potential consequences. Why does person "A" have to change their behavior because person "B" is an idiot?

Personally I honestly think the practice is stupid, bit, do we really need a rule for everything?

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2021, 02:18:04 PM »
Giving up liberty to serve the needs of the group sounds very communistic to me. Blowing  down an empty barrel is harmless. If one doesn’t want to do it then don’t. Do not ask me to give up my liberty for another’s comfort or perception thereof.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2021, 04:24:34 PM »
Giving up liberty to serve the needs of the group sounds very communistic to me. Blowing  down an empty barrel is harmless. If one doesn’t want to do it then don’t. Do not ask me to give up my liberty for another’s comfort or perception thereof.
I doubt seriously that the good folks that ask us to not do potentially dangerous things are commies. Someone with our best interest has done several things, for example placement of a STOP sign at an intersection.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2021, 05:03:57 PM »

Doesn't matter how it sounds it's what we do as a species. In some cases there are laws, in other cases it is simply what is done. It's a really normal thing that we all do in various ways.
Hold to the Wind

Offline ScottNE

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2021, 05:08:02 PM »
I follow all the usual safety rules…But, it seems to be that there’s an overly slavish deference to the *concept* of safety in modern gun culture, partially stemming from a desire to show anti-gun and anti-shooting sports people how safe and serious and responsible gun owners are. Meanwhile stupid people continue to have accidents.  There are some in the modern shooting world that frown upon muzzleloading because it requires messing around at the end of the barrel to load. Don’t these antiquated dinosaurs know that the muzzle is a no-no zone?

So on that note, acknowledging that muzzleloading is already a bit different from the modern safety culture…If you want to blow down the barrel, whatever. Can’t please everyone. If the man running the range doesn’t want you to, respect it. I put my feet up in my own house but I wouldn’t get that comfortable in someone else’s home. I swab with a barely-damp patch, but I also know I could blow down the barrel and never have an accident.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 05:11:38 PM by ScottNE »

Offline dstock

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2021, 06:14:28 PM »
Yes to the above.
GOD Bless
Doug B
God Bless
Doug B

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2021, 06:28:31 PM »

We do a lot of things in this world, “For the common good” of society. If it harms no one else it’s alright.
I agree to a point, but I shouldn’t have to clean up after you, or pick up your brains off the floor.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2021, 07:07:17 AM »
Predictably, folks have strong views on this. But we are not on a shooting line together and there’s no range officer here.

For: “I’ll do as I please. I know what I’m doing, been doing it for 40 years. Who are you to tell me what to do or not do?

Against: “This goes against all basic safety rules and accidents do happen. It’s a bad practice and doing it perpetuates a bad practice, and someday some inexperienced person is going to lose their face or their life.”

Does that sum it up?

I believe that does sum it up.  And since some of the replies are becoming contentious, I am locking this topic.
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie