Author Topic: New pouch set  (Read 7446 times)

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
New pouch set
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:06:24 PM »
Please allow me to shamelessly mention that this morning I have a new pouch set showing on the Contemporary Makers Blog....its next in my Rivers of the Frontier Series and called "The Arkansas".
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/
TCA
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 05:18:24 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: New pouch set
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 05:32:41 PM »
Well, there certainly is no shame in drawing folks attention to work like that!  Saw it early this morning Tim - wonderful set.  I might have missed it but did not see any info on the knife in the writeup - is that one of yours?

Guy

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:41:06 PM »
Thanks Guy...yes, I made the knife too...it calls attention to Black and the early Coffin Handle Bowies of that type from Arkansas too I hope...that was my intention anyway....
Tim

Offline TPH

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »
As always, beautiful work.
T.P. Hern

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »
Tim I saw this morning and what a great looking set and wonderful idea.  As usual, great job.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:58:56 AM »
 Great set Tim, great idea and nice work. How in the H..L did you get that measure so thin, it's great.

Tim C.

PS: That stuffed baby gator is worth it weight in gold.TC

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 02:47:15 AM »
Thanks for the kind words about my work everyone, I sincerely appreciate it...

Tim, I have an in-channel type carving tool that comes with the set of really cheap dollar store type made in China multi piece carving sets...its great for hollowing out measures , but not much else...Ive had the set quite awhile, so long in fact that I think mine was actually made in Japan..
TCA

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:48:13 AM »
Beautiful work Tim....is the chain on the touchhole pick commercially available?

Best,
John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:31:47 AM »
John...the chain Im using there as actually antique iron coo-koo clock chain. I dont know about its commercial availability as most clock chain I see new these days seems to be brass. I think you could find old iron clock chain where ever you can find old busted up coo-koo clocks...like flea markets, yard sales and auctions...other than that a check with a clock makers type supply company may yield a source for iron clock chain too?
TCA 

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 05:13:09 AM »
Beautiful, Tim! Just beautiful! You've got my head swimming big time! Ever worked with 'gator hide?  ::)

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »
Hey Rich...I have repaired one pencil case made from gator....thats it, but if you have any hide Id be interested in making a bag from it for sure....
Tim

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 03:35:44 PM »
John...the chain Im using there as actually antique iron coo-koo clock chain. I dont know about its commercial availability as most clock chain I see new these days seems to be brass. I think you could find old iron clock chain where ever you can find old busted up coo-koo clocks...like flea markets, yard sales and auctions...other than that a check with a clock makers type supply company may yield a source for iron clock chain too?
TCA  

Awhile back either you or Randy Hedden posted that chain was available at home supply centers like Lowes or Home Depot. They do have it, it is only plated. I heat it with a torch and dip it in bluing, rusts up pretty good after a day or two.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 05:45:01 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 11:30:30 PM »
Tim you are right...our local "Hobby Lobotomy" carries a variety of chain in their jewelry and metal craft department...its not as fine as the clock chain, but it would definately work...
TCA

Jefferson58

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 12:47:06 AM »
Beautiful work Tim, as always. That is a really great set. The color on the pouch is an incredible mix of tones.

The alligator  is awesome. I still have a small, stuffed alligator my folks bought me in Florida in the early 1960's, when such things were legal.

Jeff

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 12:52:46 AM »
 Have you checked the price of real gator lately? They sell it by the cm and the price changes daily.

Tim C.

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 05:23:22 AM »
I live 142 feet from a 6,000 acre lake with the 2nd highest 'gator population in the state. From time to time I have a problem with cottonmouths and 'gators in the yard. We've lost one dog to an 8-9 foot 'gator, and I don't plan to have that happen again if I can help it. :-X

How 'bout a guncase for my South Carolina provenance squirrel rifle out of 'gator hide with the zipper where the mouth is! That and a 'gator hide bag with a 'gator tooth powder measurer! That would be original! Tim, we've gotta talk!

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 05:32:52 AM »
Rich...you know I still got that tooth with your name on it...if I can get it to turn out with out destroying it...

Thanks again for all the nice feedback guys...I sincerely appreciate it...
Tim

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 08:34:30 AM »
Tim, I've enjoyed watching your work progress over the years, most often at the Princeton, IL shows. This last bag & horn outfit is great looking. It's a high quality effort, the best I've seen from you so far, and impressive in many ways. I'm just glad you mentioned where it was posted so we could see it, despite your proclaimed bashfulness!  Good job. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:45:19 PM by Tanselman »

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 06:59:56 PM »
Thanks Shelby...I really owe any good results that I get  to everything that you and all the rest of the regular folks at the Princeton show have been willing to patiently teach to a  guy like me over the years. With out that generous exposure to the real McCoy, and then someone taking the time to teach me about what it was that I was looking at, I would have given up long ago. I'd like to say thanks for all for the encouragement and support you all have given me as I tried to cobble up my stuff.
sincerely, TCA
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 07:03:55 PM by T.C.Albert »