Author Topic: Cocking while hunting  (Read 5675 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Cocking while hunting
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2021, 12:04:59 AM »
As many others posted here I also have my rifle on full cock with a leather frizzen cover once I'm on my stand; when moving around it's half cock with the same frizzen cover in place.  I've also on occasion cocked with the front trigger held back.  But doing it that way involves a bit more risk than full cock with frizzen cover in place.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2021, 12:29:00 AM »
Maybe if ya got them shot first chance, they would not be alive to recognize the "click" next time.  Just kidding of course!  Good luck.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2021, 12:50:41 AM »
I hunted deer in an Alabama county that allowed dog deer hunting many years ago, I have never seen deer so wired, they didn't stop and listen if you made the slightest noise, they went into instant flight. I bowhunted on this land mostly and had packs of roaming hounds ruin 50% of my hunts. I caught one of the hounds that was hanging around the camp, called the number on the collar to return him to the owner and found he was dropped off 10 miles away and still made it to our land. I left this lease after ten years of frustration and never hunted private land in a dog running county again.

Offline Sparkitoff

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2021, 05:30:56 PM »
Last year I had about a 3 year old buck come in to 20-yards. I cocked the hammer on my .58 and the buck looked up and ran back another 25-yards. Even I said to myself, "wow that was loud". Later that season two hogs came within 15-yards. When I cocked the rifle (a different one) they looked right at me for a second, then turned and ran. This year a group of javelina were within 50-yards. When the hammer went "click" they froze in their tracks for about a minute. They did continue to come in, but no doubt they heard it. I think the distance, wind and other noises make a huge difference as to whether the deer hear the cocking at all and whether they pay attention to it if they do.

Online snapper

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2021, 06:19:13 PM »
On my farm the deer just drop over dead from a heart attack when they hear the cocking of the lock as they know what is coming.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline okawbow

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2021, 06:56:19 PM »
This is the reason my hunting flintlocks have a simple single trigger. I can cock the Davis Colonial lock on my York style longrifle without making a sound, by starting the cock back as I pull the trigger. At full cock, the trigger is released, and the cock holds. I also set my trigger height against the sear so there is no play. That reduced the “click” sound when cocking to a minimum.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2021, 06:12:54 AM »
I've been doing this for a long time now and tried all the known methods of cocking my rifle quietly. Some have worked well, some not so well. Trouble is you can never know just how a deer will react to the foreign sound of a flintlock being cocked. Some stand quietly some bolt instantly.
By far, the best and safest way I've found is to use the common frizzen stall. Mine stays on the frizzen at all times until I'm ready to shoot.
I do sit with a fully cocked rifle with the stall. Unless I'm stalking an animal my lock is at half cock with the stall.
One morning right a break of day I got a broadside shot at a feeding boar. A big one. Maybe 300 pounds or more. I took careful aim and squeezed the trigger and heard a soft thud instead of my rifle going off. Yes, I had forgotten to remove the stall. Lesson learned and rifle stall tested all at once.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2021, 04:41:13 PM »
On my farm the deer just drop over dead from a heart attack when they hear the cocking of the lock as they know what is coming.

Fleener

Dang Art, you're an hour from where I hunt out there, your deer must have excellent hearing!   ;D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline BJH

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2021, 10:07:17 PM »
I also use a hammer stall. I typically still don’t cock the rifle until I see a deer. Usually they are moving and making noise when I cock the gun. I haven spooked one yet that way. This years deer came out onto the food plot. I cocked the gun, raised and fired, clomp goes the flint against the leather covered frizzen. Dumb—— I said to myself. They startled, and went back to feeding. I pulled the cock back to full cock, checked the priming and this time took off the hammer stall. Raised the rifle and fired as the sights came into alignment on the spine of the broadside deer. I thought the deer were a good hundred yards out so I held a bit high. I only saw one of the two deer run away as the gun dropped out of recoil. I climbed down from the stand and reloaded as the light is fading. Walking out into the food plot I see white deer belly. The .58 has done its job again. I look up and give thanks for the harvest. I probably woke up a ground hog unloading the rifle into its hole.
BJH

Offline terryk

• Starting Member
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2021, 03:45:13 AM »
I think they all know the sound is unique.  Some bolt, some think about it.  If I hear them coming I pull it back. 

Offline DavidC

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2021, 04:14:18 AM »
Sometimes they'll come toward the noise to investigate. Deer, like people, can be pretty dumb.

I'm no archer but I went with an old work buddy who was showing me how he approaches a deer. He missed a shot and... the deer walked over to the arrow to investigate and sniff at it. That deer did not pass on his genes.

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2021, 04:30:37 AM »
I would be in the cocked while in stand camp..with hammer stall on..
This practice has cost me 2 "slam dunk" deer....
That dull thud is really unnerving.
Both times it was so quiet and deer so close that the dull thud blew them out.
To say I get into the moment is and understatement.
Prefer to chuckle at my self when it happens...cause i hunt in good deer numbers areas.
Seems the ones you don't shoot come to mind first.
In both cases It kept me in the woods longer..whats not to like.

a side note..every one of my flintlock rifles will ignite the breech powder without any prime in the pan....a hammer stall is a must for piece of mind.

Happy Hunting...

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2023, 12:07:46 AM »
While rereading this post a realization came to mind....Deer often hear the Klatch without a  bad spook. But hogs never do. If they hear that Klatch then that hog is gone. Right now. No chance to recock and shoot.
A born wild, wild hog has amazing speed and reaction time. Sometimes to put a deer to shame. But from experience I know the soft sound of flint against a leather hammer stall often gives you a shot.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2023, 10:39:55 PM »
Thinking it over I realized that I've probably never lost a deer from cocking the rifle.  I have had them skedaddle for other reasons just not for cocking.  I learned long ago how to keep the rifle silent until it fires. 

Still vivid in my memory are two bobcats I killed in the same week with my underhammer.  The first one never heard a thing as it was walking directly away from me.  In my comfortable wooden stand - maybe 8 feet up - I was dozing and comfy in the warm autumn woods when a slight sound brought me to attention.  I saw the cat immediately and raised the underhammer .45 and cocked the hammer (no reaction from the cat) and fired.  Actually that's when the "fun" started but that story's for another time.  I got the cat.

A few days later I heard one walking past my stand on the left.  This time when I cocked the hammer the cat froze momentarily then scooted a few feet behind a tree with several low limbs.  The cat could see me but I couldn't see it.  But as I stared at the tree I finally detected a bit of gray through a small hole formed by the fallen limbs.  I shouldered the "already cocked" rifle aimed small and fired.  Nothing moved so I got down and walked over to hole I'd fired through and there it was.  It just happened to a part of the head I saw through the hole and now most of that was missing. 

I could really shoot way back then but not so much now.  I was always a methodical step by step shooter when shooting.  But for some reason in the deer woods I tended to bring the rifle up knocking the frizzen stall off and firing as soon as the butt stock hit my shoulder (fitted me perfectly).  It did keep me from second guessing the shot and aiming while shaking with buck fever.

With Eric's mention of dogs spoiling hunts that was a constant irritant when I lived in Virginia.  But count me as a passionate dog lover who had several house dogs that we loved.  A special one was a basset I raised from a pup until she died at 14.  This experience left me with a special love for the big hearted breed.

In the woods going to my truck I was inundated by a swarm of dogs who shot past me without a glance in my direction.  Well, true to form, a basset was running rear guard with the pack.  But...BUT instead of following his cohorts he noticed me and happily came over to, absolutely, get petted and say "hi friend".  To say he/she made my day is an understatement.  Never had nor wanted a hunting dog, that's not my view of the species.  Companions, rescuers, furry children are what they are.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2023, 04:36:22 PM »
I grew up with guns with hammers and have always cocked silent when it was required. Its just second nature.

Up here it can get cold, and do not like the idea of having the mainspring at full cock  all the time.
Never did use a cover on the frizzen either.
I suppose guns with hammers/cocks is maybe new to some, but for others its just the way its always been. Silent cocking has always worked.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2023, 05:04:53 PM »
I usually silent cock my rifle, but have forgotten  in the fever of the moment a few times on deer and bear. Never had one spook  and run but some were on alert and or curious.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2023, 05:16:04 PM »
Not M\L hunting but on one occasion I had whitetail deer running towards me. Of course, when they are running they are on high alert. I had my lever action laying across my lap with deer 15-20 yards away. I cocked the hammer....that first deer looked directly at me.....one snort.....and I was all by myself again.

It was all over in under 5 seconds.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2023, 07:20:03 PM »
My "signature" on another forum, reads, "a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V.

My moose hunting rifle (cap-lock) has a single trigger = silent cocking of the hammer.

My bunny rifle has DS triggers, but also double throw. NP to hold the front trigger back when bringing the cock to full bent position.
Bunny's usually just stand a bit taller when they hear the click of the cock or triggers. Again, NP.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 03:08:10 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline tunadawg

• Starting Member
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2023, 01:50:40 PM »
Had this doe at 18 paces when I cocked the hammer. Look where she ended up.

Offline alacran

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2023, 03:13:17 PM »
In hunting every situation is different. If you are doing spot and stalk hunting in open country. you will see the game long before it knows you are there. If you are in a stand of some type and it is a very still day noise carries. If it is very windy, there is enough noise to mask most noises you will make. I don't use a hammer stall, I like my hunting rifles to have single triggers. My Hawken has double set triggers, but I can shoot the gun with the front trigger without setting it. I have killed a cow elk in such a manner. I don't like carrying a rifle with the trigger set. In close quarters in the Junipers you have to make quick decisions.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2023, 06:43:08 PM »
I dog hunted deer in southeast Alabama for forty years....and had a ball!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2023, 06:52:57 PM »
 Like bird hunting Sharpman, hunting with a dog isn’t alway about killing game. Some of the most enjoyable hunts I’ve ever been on were black tail deer hunts in California with dogs. There’s nothing better than jumping up a big buck and having a little fox terrier run him around a thirty acre loop and bring him right back to you. Probably the part of hunting I miss most.

Hungry Horse

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2023, 05:42:55 PM »
Im a spot and stalk western hunter and if you cock a lock within 200 yards of a desert Coues deer it is going to go to warp speed before the sear fully seats in the fullcock notch. Percussion gun I use a homemade brass cover that goes over the capped nipple,  flintlock I use a stall and I hold the trigger back to silently cock. Ive had deer spook and kick up dirt 150yds away flicking the safety off a modern bolt gun.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2023, 07:29:54 PM »
Im a spot and stalk western hunter and if you cock a lock within 200 yards of a desert Coues deer it is going to go to warp speed before the sear fully seats in the fullcock notch. Percussion gun I use a homemade brass cover that goes over the capped nipple,  flintlock I use a stall and I hold the trigger back to silently cock. Ive had deer spook and kick up dirt 150yds away flicking the safety off a modern bolt gun.
Interesting about your brass cover over the nipple. Would you have a photo of it you can share? I have an original half stock rifle that has no half cock so I fashioned a heavy three layer cover to place on the capped nipple when I was on stand. Seemed to work OK.

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2023, 08:02:11 AM »
Im actually up elk hunting now so my connection is slow but ill try to get a pic. I just take a piece of brass stock in the lathe and drill it out so that when i put  it over the capped nipple and rest the hammer on it the brass cover bears against the drum or breech and doesnt touch the cap or nipple. I started doing this when I was hunting with original Leman trade guns that never seem to have a half cock notch. I make a few of them at a time when I make them And dont worry about it if I lose one in the field.