Author Topic: Kibler Colonial build  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Terry Cheek

• Proverbs 27:17
Kibler Colonial build
« on: December 13, 2021, 06:41:54 PM »
I am researching simple historical carvings from North Carolina rifles that date the 1760s-1770s. When my Kibler Colonial build arrives I would like to add some historical markings of at least one North Carolina maker. I am a North Carolina native and continue to live in the state. This is my first real build that has any historical background. Any help such as links, pictures, suggestions, and the like would be very appreciated. I have visited the long rifle museum links on the Longrifle page and noted the comb lines and forend lines, I will have brass hardware but not a brass patch box.

Respectfully
Terry Cheek
Respectfully
Terry

Christian/Hunter/Trapper/Gatherer/Bushcrafter

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Kibler Colonial build
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 09:31:06 PM »
I don't believe there are any NC guns that have been identified that early
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 01:24:32 PM »
Hi Terry, You owe it to yourself to get a copy of Bill Ivey’s book  North Carolina Schools of Longrifles 1765-1865.  Huge, and all color photos.  Worth every penny.  There are mostly Golden Age guns, but a few early ones are in there.  It will give you informed ideas. God bless, Marc

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 02:04:04 AM »
You may also want to visit the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts in Winston-Salem. In addition, my friend Michael Briggs hosts speaking engagements around the Winston-Salem - Salisbury area. He has a fine selection of published works on a number of the nine schools of longrifle making in the Tarheel State.

Thirdly, go to YouTube to watch lectures by Michael Briggs, and by Bill Ivey & Kenneth Orr on longrifle architecture in NC. The High Point Museum is another source for programs & lectures by our resident authors and students of longrifles here in NC.

Michael is an active contributor here on the "Antique Gun Collecting" forum section.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina