Author Topic: Kibler SMR .32 kit in extra fancy Maple  (Read 10657 times)

Offline Hunterdude

Re: Kibler SMR .32 kit in extra fancy Maple
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2022, 08:24:18 PM »
That is beautiful, you will love it.  Here is a caution.  The toe has grain running such that is likely to chip out if not coddled.  It happened to me and I saw a thread on it recently.  Be real careful. 

exclude duplicates

Yes, I am aware of the toe area being delicate, your photo with red line added shows the issue Very well, thank you!
   I have considered adding a toe plate, but I love keeping a SMR simple and basic. Also I do not know if or when I will be working with such a nice pc of curly maple again. It seems a shame to cover over (even a small amount) of such nice wood with a toe plate. Right now the plan is to build it "stock" but I suppose if disaster strikes, I may add a toe plate at a later date as a "repair".

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2022, 09:01:14 PM »

I built my Kibler SMR stock, have been shooting it since 2017 and haven't had any issues with the toe.  You appear to be aware of the delicacy of the area, so carry on and don't worry about it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2022, 01:08:04 AM »
Yes,  I don't think a toe plate really adds any appreciable protection.  The biggest concern is damage while building the rifle.

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2022, 01:09:15 AM »
Taylor,

Every time I see that rifle I love it.  That wood came out so nice.

Jim

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2022, 03:29:59 AM »
I enjoy the finish and grain in that stock very nicely, it really pops.

Miles42

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2022, 02:36:33 AM »
I'm 79 and never attempted a project like this. Would do so in a group with a Qualified instrutor. Seems so interesting.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2022, 02:39:43 AM »
I'm 79 and never attempted a project like this. Would do so in a group with a Qualified instrutor. Seems so interesting.
We have openings for another Kibler kit class in Friendship in August if you are interested.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2022, 07:29:08 AM »
Well, I Finally cleared a few minutes of my time to make a small start on my Kibler SMR!
    I am fitting the butt plate first,(protect toe during build) then will follow Jim's build video order of events to the Letter after this one deviation.
   Being from a toolmaker background, I notice fasteners a Lot, I notice the screws that hold the butt plate on are dome shaped screw heads and they are "proud" of the metal surface. From what I see on other Southern rifles, this seems normal. I was preparing the screw heads (per video) with a file and drill motor so the heads will drop into there counterbore and noted they did not drop in quite as far as I thought they could. Curious, I used spotting blue on the underside of the screw heads to test if there where any casting flaws that where not allow the screw heads to fully seat in there counterbore and as I suspected the taper of the screw head was hitting only at the bottom of the V shape. Everything was fine and "normal" but it occurred to me if I slightly alter the screw heads or C'bores that I could drop the screw heads maybe .010 deeper for a slightly cleaner look(to my eyes).
    Well it worked! The screws are Still "proud" but sit much lower...perhaps I have all ready offended the HC police but I like it!
   Jim has picked nice screws and selected the length well, ...So even my "tiny" alteration has made it so the 2 screws in the Heel area will now collide.
   This is easy to correct, if I file about 1/16" off the point of the upper screw, everything will be happy again.
   Do most builders prefure a more proud screw head appearance?

For that 1 person wondering Exactly what I did? This crude sketch shows what a section view of stock counterbore might look like in blue ink, the red portion is where the spotting blue showed the screw was hitting and is the area I removed a small amount of metal to avoid weakening the casting to much.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 08:16:01 AM by Hunterdude »

Offline DavidC

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2022, 01:26:28 PM »
With a similar background I look forward to seeing how you overthink the rest of the build  :P

This is how we make a Kibler kit take months.

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2022, 06:09:11 PM »
With a similar background I look forward to seeing how you overthink the rest of the build  :P
This is how we make a Kibler kit take months.

You have pretty much nailed it David. I believe these kits can be assembled in approx 5 hrs, but as I expect this to be my go to personal small game rifle I am in no hurry and pretty much am savoring the build. "Overthinking" seems to be a hobby of mine as well. ;D
  I think this rifle needs a southern Gal name to...something like Elli-mae or Becky-lee or similar.

msw

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2022, 09:27:25 PM »
what's wrong with 'overthinking?'   ... i've always seen that as a mark of craftsmanship ... besides, it's a hobby ... if it were an industry, i'd hire a bunch of high school kids and break it down down into substeps and act all managerial.

that would suck the joy out of it in a cold minute.

just one guy's opinion ... free and well worth the price :)

Offline DavidC

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2022, 11:13:32 PM »
Because overthinking can prohibit progress. It's why we poke fun at how Mike Brooks gives curt 5 word answers to 2 page "questions" and comes off like a bit of an ass. It's because he doesn't overcomplicate, he's right, and he doesn't coddle you with a story to assuage your anxieties while he solves your problems. He identifies an idea worth pursuing and does it; that's a big part of why he was making 40+ guns a year for a long time and why he's used like a standard for efficient craftsmanship.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2022, 12:14:51 AM »
But those are the best and most accurate answers sometimes.  Clear and concise.   Some are even nifty.  Made me laugh more than once they have.

Ken

It's why we poke fun at how Mike Brooks gives curt 5 word answers to 2 page "questions" and comes off like a bit of an ass.
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline DavidC

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2022, 01:59:27 AM »
Oh, no doubt about it. It's just funny when you juxtapose that type of answer with the question that starts with the childhood origins of the neuroses that gave rise to the caffeine problem that led to the anxiety disorder that causes them to doubt if the .042 wire can fit into a .037 hole if you wiggle the drill a bit. People like to vent.

But to our SMR fella, just make sure you're at a point where you can enjoy the rifle you shoot. There's nothing wrong with being a bit of a perfectionist but don't be that guy that can only look at his work and see flaws. You can always learn and do better but the key is still the doing.

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2022, 12:42:11 AM »
But to our SMR fella, just make sure you're at a point where you can enjoy the rifle you shoot. There's nothing wrong with being a bit of a perfectionist but don't be that guy that can only look at his work and see flaws. You can always learn and do better but the key is still the doing.

I feel I should share only a small amount as to why my SMR project is proceeding rather painfully slow.....I have an elderly family member (in my care) diagnosed with terminal kidney failure, this person has also had his drivers license revoked by SOS and has not come to grips well with his loss of freedom. There is a great deal of drama in the home at this time and I can only steal moments here and there, often in the middle of the night when lighting is poor to work on the rifle. My situation is what it is but I understand it does not make for Exellent reading on the forum. The SMR kit is a therapeutic escape even just for a moment.

As to perfectionist, I am that way to a degree, but I feel I have it well enough in balance. I require of myself only that I give the kit my Best effort, after that, all my firearms must be "shooters" there is no place in my arsenal for "safe queens" and every firearm must stand at the ready to persue
 wild game in any weather or ruff terrain that I myself am willing to go. An example of this is some of the Best Ruffed Grouse hunting I have experienced is on rainy days, the birds hold tighter as there wings are wet, and also the damp air makes scenting for the Hunting dogs fantastic. I don't hunt in driving rain or Thunder Storms, but look forward to grouse hunts on drizzling gloomy days, I have enough hunting spots I can drive around until I can find a spot where it's only sprinkling.
   Also I noticed that Kibler reviews are often an unboxing, then the very next photo is of the rifle finished and waiting for the wood finish to cure so the rifle can be fired....I thought some of the "new" shooters may like a more "play by play" review, but I can leave most of the details out if that is preferable. Hopefully this post explains a few of the oddity's of my thread.

Also of note: I was thinking the modified butt plate would drop the screw heads only about .010 but it turned out more like .021 so the difference is noticeable.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 01:15:24 AM by Hunterdude »

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2022, 01:46:37 AM »

I feel I should share only a small amount as to why my SMR project is proceeding rather painfully slow.....I have an elderly family member (in my care) diagnosed with terminal kidney failure, this person has also had his drivers license revoked by SOS and has not come to grips well with his loss of freedom. There is a great deal of drama in the home at this time and I can only steal moments here and there, often in the middle of the night when lighting is poor to work on the rifle. My situation is what it is but I understand it does not make for Exellent reading on the forum. The SMR kit is a therapeutic escape even just for a moment.

As to perfectionist, I am that way to a degree, but I feel I have it well enough in balance. I require of myself only that I give the kit my Best effort, after that, all my firearms must be "shooters" there is no place in my arsenal for "safe queens" and every firearm must stand at the ready to persue
 wild game in any weather or ruff terrain that I myself am willing to go. An example of this is some of the Best Ruffed Grouse hunting I have experienced is on rainy days, the birds hold tighter as there wings are wet, and also the damp air makes scenting for the Hunting dogs fantastic. I don't hunt in driving rain or Thunder Storms, but look forward to grouse hunts on drizzling gloomy days, I have enough hunting spots I can drive around until I can find a spot where it's only sprinkling.
   Also I noticed that Kibler reviews are often an unboxing, then the very next photo is of the rifle finished and waiting for the wood finish to cure so the rifle can be fired....I thought some of the "new" shooters may like a more "play by play" review, but I can leave most of the details out if that is preferable. Hopefully this post explains a few of the oddity's of my thread.

Also of note: I was thinking the modified butt plate would drop the screw heads only about .010 but it turned out more like .021 so the difference is noticeable.

There isn’t much play by play on that mountain rifle kit. The gun is practically built for you. These things go together in a few hours. Save the drama.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Spalding

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2022, 01:58:11 AM »
Yep, I tried to slow down the Kibler SMR I built a year ago, but it’s pretty much an insert tab A into slot B deal. It was ready for finishing in a couple of days, which is where I concentrated my efforts.

Bob

Offline DavidC

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2022, 03:38:37 AM »
I sympathize with your situation. I've been blessed to have not yet lost a family member or loved one with the natural consequence that they're all falling apart now! Glad to hear your project is a nice escape and not a self-imposed burden.

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2022, 07:04:48 AM »
I sympathize with your situation. I've been blessed to have not yet lost a family member or loved one with the natural consequence that they're all falling apart now! Glad to hear your project is a nice escape and not a self-imposed burden.

Thank you sir!...(you) now have a firm grasp on reality, and (unlike some with the manners of a polecat) you are welcome to follow my thread for as long as you like! :)