Author Topic: English Rifle  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Big Bubba

English Rifle
« on: December 15, 2021, 11:40:38 PM »
This is the first rifle I built from a blank. The stock is english walnut with an ebony nose cap. It's a .54 caliber Rice 31"  "English Sporting" rifle barrel and a Chamber's Late Ketland lock. Have not worked up a load yet, but the first few shots are looking good.

Offline ScottH

Re: English Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 11:53:57 PM »
Nice looking gun and I bet it is comfortable to shoot too!  8)

Offline JHeath

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 12:54:05 AM »
Really nice. What trigger? On another thread Mattock Forge ID'd original Siddon single set triggers.

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 01:43:20 AM »
It is really comfortable to shoot, in fact the felt recoil is less on this rifle than on my .45 cal SMR.

The trigger is just a simple trigger pinned in the trigger bar casting. It's a really light right now (1/2lb pull), so I'm going to have to play with that a little more.

Offline Elk Hunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 07:38:46 PM »
Well done BB. Well done. I'm jealous.

I've wanted a 16 bore English stalking rifle for hunting elk for many years. A friend has one that I covet. I looked for several years for one but haven't found what I want. So a while back DGW had their Pedersoli African Hunter rifle on sale so I ordered one. English style in 12 bore but lacking a loading rod. The rifle is scary accurate. Unfortunately I haven't taken an elk with it yet.  After I finish my current project perhaps I'll start on a proper gauge bore rifle.

Again, I'm jealous.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 08:37:49 PM »
Now that rifle is really fine and slim, almost rookish. Very nice, Big Bubba..
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 04:55:32 AM »
Very nice !!

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2021, 03:38:57 PM »
very nice indeed. I like the simple elegance.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2021, 06:59:23 PM »
Nice job Bubba, very nice!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 07:16:44 PM »
I like it,BIG time! I have the makings for one with barrel in the wood and parts for a lock but no ambition.
Thanks for showing this one.
Bob Roller

Miles42

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 02:22:29 AM »
Very nice work

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 02:38:54 AM »
Looks like it would make a sweet hunting rig.   Also like the look of the 1803 Harpers Ferry design. 

Offline JBJ

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2021, 03:28:17 PM »
Now that's a serious rifle! Beauty!
J.B.

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 08:00:07 AM »
Thanks for all the encouraging replies. I am very happy with how it turned out. I'm amazed at how light and well balanced this style rifle is.

Offline bowkill

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2021, 07:31:59 PM »
Is that barrel swamped?
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2021, 08:20:42 PM »
I like the rifle Big Bubba. That slim and short forearm makes the barrel look longer than 31 inches. It begs to be checkered.  ;) Nice workmanship.

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2021, 08:36:02 PM »
Is that barrel swamped?

Yes it is swamped.

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 08:39:16 PM »
I like the rifle Big Bubba. That slim and short forearm makes the barrel look longer than 31 inches. It begs to be checkered.  ;) Nice workmanship.

Thanks. I did get a checkering tool set, but I need a lot of practice before I would consider trying that.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 09:02:34 PM »
BB,

First, this is an exceptionally beautiful rifle !!!  Congratulations !!  Second, could I coax you into taking and posting several more close up pictures of various parts of your rifle ?  I have been collecting parts for a rosewood stocked English rifle for years but have never settled on the design I like best.  Your rifle struck me and I would love to see more detailed photos of all aspects of the rifle if you have the time to do that.

Thanks,

David
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 02:15:42 AM »
BB,

First, this is an exceptionally beautiful rifle !!!  Congratulations !!  Second, could I coax you into taking and posting several more close up pictures of various parts of your rifle ?  I have been collecting parts for a rosewood stocked English rifle for years but have never settled on the design I like best.  Your rifle struck me and I would love to see more detailed photos of all aspects of the rifle if you have the time to do that.

Thanks,

David

Thanks David. I used a couple of drawings from TOW. The "English Sporting Rifle" and the "Purdy Rifle". The first drawing actually list part numbers for their site, but not everything is in stock. The forearm on mine is a little longer than the drawings. The trigger bar casting I got from "The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium". The casting was nice but the trigger blade was not, so I made a new one that fit the guard better. Could not find the right hooked breech for this style rifle so I got one that I could reshape. Made the hooked plug out of a bolt. The face of my tang was too thick, so I went with the Chambers Late Ketland lock which has a longer bolster than the lock I was planning on. If you use a chambered breech you probably want have that issue.

The biggest thing is to look at all of Dave's (Smart Dog) post. I can't tell you how many times I read through those.