Author Topic: Jack Duprey Inspired Soddy Daisy Build (Done!)  (Read 17330 times)

Online Daniel Coats

Jack Duprey Inspired Soddy Daisy Build (Done!)
« on: December 18, 2021, 01:18:40 AM »
I'm using my Jack Duprey Soddy Daisy on the left for inspiration of my next build. This has been my plan all along through the months of bugging my friend Bob McBride in acquiring Jack's fine rifle. Here's a few pictures at the start showing a curly ash stock blank from Allen Martin and a 3/4 in 36 caliber Rice barrel and a chambers late Ketland lock and Davis triggers from MLBS. The lock plate is brass for my build for a little originality so is not to make it an exact copy but rather perhaps the next one Jack might have built.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 08:05:31 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Clint

Re: Jack Duprey Inspired Soddy Daisy Build
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 05:41:12 AM »
I have never made a rifle stock from ash, but I have made oars and a tavern table from it. Ash is wonderful wood but you have to get used to the open grain. Despite the openness ash sands to a really nice surface and like all woods it has a distinctive smell that is very easy to get along with.
CW

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 09:43:23 PM »
Top line of the barrel channel sawed off by hand saw. Amazing how much internal stress there is in that curly ash blank. A crack opened up at the front part of the forend. There used to be enough length for a 44 inch barrel. Going with my original plan of 40 1/2 like my living blueprint aka Jack's Soddy gun.

Dan

Offline duca

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 11:38:55 PM »
Wow, I will be following this one. Thanks for letting us enjoy your build

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 04:40:49 AM »
No pictures of note today but used antique wood planes to level the top flat and started the barrel inlet with chisels. Wood removal is chip by chip take a breath and take another progress is slow but steady. Could have sent the barrel and blank out for in letting but I'm not in a hurry and not willing to give up the process to modern technology. I'll get there and will feel good about the journey!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 04:46:09 AM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 03:22:27 AM »
 ;) ;)... I would have used one of the more "Tennessee" looking trigger sets for a Soddy style build,... and remember, the shapeing of the butt and forestock are Everything in a true-style Soddy build,.... best wishes and regards,.. Cades Cove Fiddler,....

Offline Dunc NZ

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 05:52:56 AM »
Ok I confess to ignorance , what is a Soddy Daisy rifle and why the name . The type is not in my books .
Cheers Dunc

Offline steven baker

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 09:04:23 AM »
Hi Duncan ,keeping it simple  a iron mounted slim southern long rifle , Plain simple and very practical ,check out Bod Mcbride on blackpowder tv for more infromation,
take care Steven Baker ex ABC member.

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 04:38:13 PM »
Soddy Daisy is a town just north and slightly east of Chattanooga TN, which is itself just north of the TN Georga line. So as a rifle said to be of the Lancaster (PA) school will generally have certain distinctive characteristics,  so too Soddy Daisy. I would be way out of my depth to name the distinctive of a Soddy Daisy, so I hope someone more knowledgable than myself will do so for you.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 04:16:48 AM by Randall Steffy »

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 06:51:30 PM »
Soddy Daisy rifles have a bit different stock and metal shaping than Southern rifles. Here is a link to a very nice one in the library here; https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2302.0
There is a second one posted in the same area.

Actually, there's lot's of great rifles posted in the library, so check them out!
John Robbins

Offline alacran

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 03:40:32 PM »
No pictures of note today but used antique wood planes to level the top flat and started the barrel inlet with chisels. Wood removal is chip by chip take a breath and take another progress is slow but steady. Could have sent the barrel and blank out for in letting but I'm not in a hurry and not willing to give up the process to modern technology. I'll get there and will feel good about the journey!
In other words, you are building the rifle yourself. Something to be proud of.
Made a lot of things out of ash. Never have made a rifle out of ash. I really like the wood. You have a great challenge ahead of you.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 05:41:27 PM »
Yes I'm building the rifle myself and some of the handmade parts will be trigger guard butt plate toe plate ramrod pipes etc. Barrel lock and triggers are store-bought but each one of those will be modified to match the  Jack Duprey Soddy Daisy rifle that I'm using as a blueprint.
Dan

Offline DBoone

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 05:35:42 AM »
...... "not willing to give up the process to modern technology. "

Hey Dan......you said a ton with that one.  That's why kits, even just pre-carves do not give me the same satisfaction.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 03:41:19 PM »
Good for you guys who are enjoying working with hand tools !  There is a great deal of satisfaction in building this way, although it’s admittedly slower. I find it much more personally satisfying ( and a good excuse to hit the interesting old junk shops looking for antique tools !)
Mike Mullins

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 03:58:52 PM »
Looking like a cool project.

Cory Joe Stewart

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 04:43:28 PM »
Thanks, barrel channel almost done and octagon on the bottom full length all with just hand tools. Jack's rifle has an octagon channel and appears to be hand cut. A lot of original rifles are octagon at the front and back with a round bottom trough in between just touching here and there. I'm taking extra care with this one.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 04:55:56 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 02:10:22 AM »
Barrel channel done with a friction fit meaning you can hold the stock upsidedown and the barrel won't fall out. Only took about three weeks!

Dan

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 03:17:04 AM »
Dan, saddened me to see that crack open up, but such also happened to the originators.  You picked a fine one as a model, going to be a fine looking rifle.

Have you given much thought yet as to finish?
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 03:36:24 AM »
Dan, saddened me to see that crack open up, but such also happened to the originators.  You picked a fine one as a model, going to be a fine looking rifle.

Have you given much thought yet as to finish?

Fortunately the crack is only on one side and most of the way out to the front end of the stock. I moved the barrel channel inlet over to the other side as much as I could and will also be shortening the barrel by an inch and a half. Lucky because that follows the rifle I'm using as a model.

Not sure on the finish yet but it doesn't look like Jack used any gun stock filler at all. Color wise I will be experimenting and have plenty of scrap wood to work with it might be aqua fortis but time will tell.
Dan

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2022, 03:12:23 AM »
Barrel shortened to length, coned, breech plug installed  with the profile to match my pattern rifle. Dimensions are close enough to be a drop in replacement for my Jack Duprey Soddy Daisy. Close as I can make it. Pictures show the barrel laying on my pattern.

Dan

Offline Spalding

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2022, 03:19:47 AM »
Looking good, Dan. I enjoy your build posts.

Curious, how does that Duprey rifle balance with a straight barrel?

Bob

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2022, 03:25:59 AM »
Looking good, Dan. I enjoy your build posts.

Curious, how does that Duprey rifle balance with a straight barrel?

Bob

Balance feels about perfect and handles like a dream. I shortened the 3/4 inch barrel to match at 40 1/2 inches long hopefully get the same results!

Dan

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2022, 04:55:45 AM »
She's looking!  Thanks for the pics.  Love seeing the progress.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2022, 08:32:53 AM »
Top of wrist profile cut and tang and barrel inlet full depth.

Dan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2022, 08:56:31 AM »
I was puzzled by the "Maplewood" feltpenon the stock. Sure looked like Ash to me in the forend, with nice straight grain.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V