Author Topic: Original Daniel Buck Pennsylvania Rifle  (Read 1001 times)

nafzimo

Original Daniel Buck Pennsylvania Rifle
« on: December 18, 2021, 05:33:39 AM »
This rifle has been passed down in my family. Daniel Buck, my 4-greats grandfather, was a gunsmith in Pennsylvania. He was born in Montgomery Co in 1881 and moved to Crawford Co in 1823. I'm told that he carried this rifle to Illinois in 1839. I have removed the lock and the butt plate hoping to find a signature with no luck. The "No 4" sized lock was manufactured by "B.E. Co" but I didn't find anything about them online. I would love to see other examples of Daniel's work. Can you narrow down the date it was built? I would put it between 1822 and 1835 but maybe that can be narrowed further. I wish this rifle could talk!

https://ibb.co/album/WGF0cv

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Original Daniel Buck Pennsylvania Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 07:43:52 AM »
Based on a number of details on your rifle, including the highly pointed butt plate heel, rather thin butt stock, lack of forestock & lower butt molding lines, double-spurred guard, and what appears to be commercial triggers, I think a more appropriate dating of this percussion rifle would be about 1840 or a little later.

You have a very nice family heirloom and are fortunate to have a family who took good care of it and passed it down through the generations with a lot of pride.

Shelby Gallien

nafzimo

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 05:09:09 PM »
Thank you Shelby. I'll have to work on verifying when Daniel moved to Illinois, perhaps it was later than previously thought.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 09:05:31 PM »
He was born in Montgomery Co in 1881 and moved to Crawford Co in 1823
Typo??  He can't move before he's born.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson