Author Topic: The Rifle Shoppe inc.  (Read 4679 times)

Offline JPK

The Rifle Shoppe inc.
« on: December 20, 2021, 08:57:06 PM »
I’ve taken an interest in a parts set that they offer. What has been your experience with the quality of their products.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: The Rifle Shoppe inc.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 09:14:50 PM »
Furniture castings are very good. Some lock castings are very good. Others suffer from casting directly from original parts that were worn. I would not get one of their precarve stocks. They are not perfect and there’s nothing much left to work with. If an inlet is oversized for a lock or sideplate or guard (common experience) you’ve got a lot of work on your hands unless you’re happy with “looks good from 20 yards” outcomes.

Only order what is confirmed in stock. Anything not in stock may not be available for years despite assurances.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 06:32:20 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 05:26:53 AM »
Agree with Rich, especially about the stocks.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 03:31:03 PM »
Hi,
These are not kits.  The part sets generally are good although as Rich noted, the stocks can leave something to be desired.  If you order an assembled lock, you will probably wait a long time to get it.  If you build the lock yourself and order a parts set they have in stock, you probably will get your components in a few weeks.  The 2 threads I posted below show
building guns from TRS part sets.  They may give you some sense of it.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/pattern-1730-brown-bess-almost-ready-for-inspection.123947/#post-1702680
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/building-a-british-pattern-1760-light-infantry-fusil.116956/

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline JPK

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 07:57:56 PM »
Thank all of you. I read Dave’s posts that gave good insight into their parts sets. Forewarned is for-armed and I’m not the student of these that many of you are but may order if they have all the parts in stock.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline Elk Hunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 05:56:11 PM »
I've built one of their 1803 Harpers Ferry rifles and have started on a Ferguson. I had them build the Harpers Ferry lock and it works fine. They didn't have time to do the Ferguson lock but they did drill most of the holes for me. They don't supply and do not have any truly dimensioned drawings for their kits, just some large sheets showing general information, so you need to have some experience with building rifles. Their stock inletting isn't horrible it just isn't perfect so there is likely to be some small gaps. They don't remove any of the casting gates or sprues from the metal parts so there is a bit of work required there. All in all their kits are for the experienced builder not the novice. I have had great response from them on any questions I've had. I've never built a rifle from a kit before as I always bought parts and made the stack from raw planks.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 05:21:44 AM »
I've built one of their 1803 Harpers Ferry rifles and have started on a Ferguson. I had them build the Harpers Ferry lock and it works fine. They didn't have time to do the Ferguson lock but they did drill most of the holes for me. They don't supply and do not have any truly dimensioned drawings for their kits, just some large sheets showing general information, so you need to have some experience with building rifles. Their stock inletting isn't horrible it just isn't perfect so there is likely to be some small gaps. They don't remove any of the casting gates or sprues from the metal parts so there is a bit of work required there. All in all their kits are for the experienced builder not the novice. I have had great response from them on any questions I've had. I've never built a rifle from a kit before as I always bought parts and made the stack from raw planks.

Just my $0.02 worth.
I've been trying to reach them for week, no luck.   Do you have good contact info?

Offline Elk Hunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2021, 05:47:07 AM »
PAFlinter;

In my case they have been great to deal with. A couple of days ago I left a phone message for Jane about my Ferguson and hardening the lock parts.  Within a couple of hours her husband, I'm sorry I don't recall his name, called back and answered my questions. If they don't answer the phone leave a message. They have never failed to call me back and answer my questions. Since it's Christmas I suspect it will be a few days before you hear from them. Their phone # (405) 356-2583.

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2021, 08:04:22 PM »
Many thanks 

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 07:16:22 AM »
I second the comment,” they have been great to deal with”. I have purchased lock plates, completed locks, and a sling bar for of all things an original British Baker Carbine .
No wait, no problem, nice people to deal with.
That has been my experience with them.! I would say if I would have to wait it would be worth it....
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline RAT

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 12:48:32 AM »
I ordered a part in January. I called to check on it in June. They said they had to switch foundries because of problems. I'm still waiting. They've never contacted me in any way during the last year. The 2 times I called I was able to get them on the phone right away. Others who have done business with them told me of similar experiences. I knew this going in... but they were the only one's offering the style of tang I was looking for. Maybe next Christmas.
Bob

Offline Elk Hunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 02:44:05 AM »
I believe they make some of their parts in small batches and then only when they have enough demand. Like any small business you can't have everything in stock all the time and certainly not something that you sell only very occasionally. IIRC they also moved their shop in the recent past and that would surely cause delay. I got lucky on both of the kits I ordered as they had the 1803 in stock and were going to run some Ferguson kits shortly. If I were wanting a part from them I'd call and talk with them and ask when they thought they would have it and then call again later to check the time line on that part. I'm not making excuses for them, just saying I've been satisfied with their products and service. Perhaps my experience has been the exception I certainly hope not.

Offline Niall

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 12:07:18 AM »

I've always found them great. Sometimes you have to wait a bit but other times you get parts pretty quickly. For the  range they offer I think  they do a good job.

Niall

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 03:17:40 AM »
Are any of y'all like me, have thought about how they could improve their business way too many times?  Basically every time the subject of TRS comes up, we rehash the hash.  And this goes on in my head sometimes for days.

But what I started to ask is: What if the customers of TRS could know just about how many more parts or pieces or tons of alloy (or whatever it is that determines when they pass orders to the foundry for casting), WHAT IF that was part of the information a customer had to go on when he/she was interested in placing their order with TRS?  In other words, if you knew that they re-ordered X part when they had 15 standing orders and they had 13 orders already, would you reconsider your needs?  If it were me I might think of getting two, just to get the parts made-use it or trade it off later. Or talk a pal into getting one for his project. That in turn might drive others who "can't wait" to place their orders for the same part, just because they saw that it was going to the foundry in so many days. They give digital notice that "this part is going to be produced very soon order now!"

It could be that they wait on a tonnage or hundredweight figure.  If so it could be revealed that only Y many pounds worth of parts orders gets everything to foundry.  Give a target and let the customers hit it and keep things moving, while more importantly letting folks know where their items of choice are in the process. 

It just seems to me that a dynamic digital catalog with pics could up their sales, and increase customer satisfaction, as well as return business.  Once again I've wasted too much brainpower on someone else's problem, but maybe it helps someone else with their situation.  Sure all those ideas cost money to implement and maintain, but from my angle it might well be worth the costs if in the sales game and looking to grow.

But it ain't my business and I got no business trying to run it from my couch. I mean the above with no disrespect for those who run the show as it is. They've kept it going and that's way more than most small business owners are able to do, is an accomplishment of no slight value.  I wish them the best.

Hold to the Wind

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 03:34:26 AM »
I believe they drive their waxes to the foundry and that does not occur on a frequent basis?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2021, 04:51:23 AM »
They have an optimistic model, with visions of being able to keep about a hundred? parts sets in stock. Most suppliers of parts kits for muzzleloaders hope to keep 2-10 models in stock. I guess when you publish the catalogue you’re committing to being able to supply what’s in there.

A lot of comments on their service are historical, and some are more recent. I know they moved locations. As with all suppliers in our hobby, it pays to learn what is in stock, and go from there without even considering back order status for anything needed. Most suppliers give optimistic estimates of when back ordered items will be in stock. Multiply their estimate by 2 and you’re closer to reality.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Penske

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2021, 04:03:32 PM »
I have watched this thread. I have recently built a rifle shop kit that I received in three weeks. With that said prior to ordering I asked which of the three kits I was interested in were in stock. I chose one that was in stock. My point is ask before you buy, then you know they have it and you won’t be disappointed. No need to diss TRS. Yes wait times are long for parts not in stock. It is your responsibility to make an informed decision.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2021, 05:08:30 PM »
I have watched this thread. I have recently built a rifle shop kit that I received in three weeks. With that said prior to ordering I asked which of the three kits I was interested in were in stock. I chose one that was in stock. My point is ask before you buy, then you know they have it and you won’t be disappointed. No need to diss TRS. Yes wait times are long for parts not in stock. It is your responsibility to make an informed decision.
I'm not running 'em down. I was simply asking if folks might be more willing to order parts that are not in stock if there was some way to have a real estimate of when those parts would in-fact be cast.  I'm trying to help. But I knew it was too confusing.
Hold to the Wind