Author Topic: Pulverflaschen help  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Dennis Daigger

Re: Pulverflaschen help
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2022, 08:52:28 PM »
Hmm.. Ron and James my Carlsbad Jaeger is awaiting carving and I have the leather for the jagdtaschen but haven't started yet.  :-\  ;)
Dennis

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2022, 04:55:19 AM »
Got the big charger done and will do the final polish when the flask is done.

Dennis

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2022, 05:48:01 PM »
Charger looks great Dennis. Can't wait to see it when you get it done!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2022, 05:49:48 PM »
Very impressed as well as inspired! Now to find the time. Thanks for sharing your progress!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2022, 10:16:07 PM »
That is some excellent work. To my eye the octagon portion of the charger looks a touch bulky. Almost begs to be barrel shaped.
Psalms 144

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2022, 05:08:38 AM »
Clark-it does look a bit pudgy. I shortened the length of the spout on the example I was working from and this had two effects. The first was what you noted and the second is that a shorter long arm of the lever also reduced the cap clearance away from the tip when the lever is fully depressed. The opening is sufficiently accessible to pour powder so that's not really a problem but greater clearance would have allowed for less precise positioning of the measure.

I used a vertically mounted rotary table to cut the facets on the spouts. It would have been nice to have tapered them and that too would have reduced the pudginess but I'm not equiped to do that. Maybe taper by hand? A Swiss pattern of the Nicholson pillar file I have been using is wicked fast on these soft metals and doesn't clog or gall.

I made the spout initially octagonal and when I started fitting the pivot post it was hard to fit. I remade a spout that was hexagonal and this allowed me to cut a 'V' in the bottom of the post on the mill with the piece position at a 120° angle and cut from each side.

If there is any interest in other 'lessons learned' I can share those. The biggest lesson learned is this is not something I would want to do for a living.
Dennis

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2022, 08:11:43 AM »
Even though a bit pudgy, it's still an incredible job. Now you got me wanting to try fabricating parts for a French pulverin.
Psalms 144

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2022, 01:07:14 AM »
Got the flask finished.

Dennis

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2022, 05:58:49 AM »
Very nice. Where did you find the green chord?
Psalms 144

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2022, 06:05:58 AM »
That is really neat. If you will forgive a suggestion, a little engraving/scrimshaw/carving would move this into the "Top Tier" in my opinion. Thanks for posting!
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2022, 02:58:51 PM »
 Very well done. A couple question; How much powder does it hold and why the two spouts.

Tim

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2022, 05:48:17 PM »
Looks really nice. I have the same question as Tim. Why the two spouts? Does it have two chambers for different powder?

Jim

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2022, 09:43:12 PM »
Yes, two chambers, the smaller one for priming powder and the larger for main charges.

Tim-the large chamber holds just shy of 1600 grains of FFg. I haven't filled the smaller chamber but it larger enough to hold quite a bit of 3F or 4F.

Clark-the cord is braided linen cord that I found on Etsy and came from Latvia. It was relatively flat and I bulked it up by threading two strands of heavy line through it. I used aniline dyes for the green color.

I have never attempted engraving and probably lack the artistic talent to do it well so the flask will stay as is.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2022, 12:27:30 AM »
 Wow! That's Bigger than it looks.

Thanks, Tim

Offline acorn20

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2022, 07:57:29 AM »
I have never attempted engraving and probably lack the artistic talent to do it well so the flask will stay as is.

You lack the artistic talent to do engraving?  Dennis, the work you've displayed lately on this site says otherwise.  Go for it!
Dan Akers