Author Topic: Gain Twist  (Read 3416 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Gain Twist
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2022, 12:48:37 AM »
Oh yeah, here's why I remembered what I've already typed on this iteration on this Winter's "gain twist" thread: It's because it's the same conclusion I'd come to in the Winter 2020 gain twist thread found here:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=59135.0

Straight rifling took me a while to understand too, but hey that's another good thread for each Winter.   ;D

Heck we even had a combo thread back in 2012:  ;)

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20866.0

OH, I found a nugget in the old thread.  It doesn't quite make sense to me, but I've never freshed a barrel. The blanket statement was made back then that GT bbls could not be freshened.  But I'd think freshing bbls as Rich does, it would be no different than freshing any other. Is that not indeed the case when using a single point cutter?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 12:54:39 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Tim May

• Starting Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2022, 07:46:27 PM »
Conclusion, Sounds like I have a good
roundball barrel. May or may not shoot
a conical well. Thanks for everyone's
impute. I'll use it for something maybe
Underhammer.
Thanks Again
Tim

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2022, 09:02:17 PM »
Conclusion, Sounds like I have a good
roundball barrel. May or may not shoot
a conical well. Thanks for everyone's
impute. I'll use it for something maybe
Underhammer.
Thanks Again
Tim

Depends on the rate of twist the barrel ends up at. It will either be a round ball barrel, or a rate of twist meant for a conical.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2022, 05:49:09 AM »
Yes, round or conical is generally a twist rate issue not a gain twist thing. One can have a gain-twist rate for either round or conical. Conicals need more RPM's for stability.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2022, 09:08:11 AM »
Jim McLemore barrel, gain twist. He did not reveal the twist.
Patch lube was water soluble oil I think 5:1 water:oil. One damp patch both sides, one dry patch both sides. Loose jag fit. .500 ball, blue stripe ticking patch.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2022, 04:31:54 PM »
If Dan were to measure the ROT of his good shootin' barrel there, and he did it conventionally, the result would be average ROT.  Short sections of barrel have to be measured to see the rate of gain. 

But then from my perspective the rate of gain is irrelevant so long as positive and the ROT is crucial to stabilize the projectile type used.  Also that you can "overspin" a ball without terrible consequences so long as the ball is well-cast and free of voids, but under-spinning a long bullet will give you a wobbly projectile.

Fine shooting Dan, your gun and skills is/are legend. It has been mentioned some here when you weren't much posting.
Hold to the Wind