Author Topic: Manufactured KY, PA, and TN Long rifles  (Read 1476 times)

Offline warren5421

• Starting Member
Manufactured KY, PA, and TN Long rifles
« on: December 30, 2021, 01:05:41 AM »
If wrong place please move.

I have been looking at several flint guns used in a lot of different prices from $100-$900.  I am going to use to hunt so has to be .50 here.  I don't know a lot about the guns and the makers.  Would like a custom made long rifle but $2000-$3000 is not in the budget.  I have been looking at the KY, PA, and TN long guns.  Most are marked made in Italy and a few from Spain.  I need some reqamendatsons as to the type and maker that is good for a production gun.   I don't want a smooth bore.

Offline Daryl

Re: Manufactured KY, PA, and TN Long rifles
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 05:07:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Warren. From where do you hail?

If you can find an older used GPR (Great Plains Rifle by Lyman) in .50 or .54 caplock, you will have a decent hunting rifle
& for much less than a custom gun.  The older ones are better than the newer ones, apparently.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline warren5421

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 05:31:06 AM »
I only want flint as have cap locks

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 07:33:49 AM »
Welcome to the forum!...I know a bit about what you are looking for as I was in a similar boat. The largest issue that I think you face with a "production" gun is the Flintlock "lock" is often sketchy at best on production guns. I vastly prefur Flint as you are not rely on caps availability, and they just look  "better" IMHO
   I have a Pedersoli Frontier and it sparks just...."OK"...it is fairly accurate but it has a patent breech that can be a pain to clean, the architecture is not that great and I do get a flash in the pan with no ignition of main charge fairly often. I think the reliability of this rifle would improve by adding a white lighting touch hole, but it can be a pain to get parts for this rifle and I just can not recommend it.
    I will suggest a slightly different path than what you asked for and you can decide:
   Have you ever considered building a Jim Kibler kit? Kibler locks are fast and some of the hottest sparkers I have seen, also a white lighting touch hole comes standard and installed, all this quality will make a Kibler rifle a joy to hunt with and the American Made spare parts are readily available, but quality is so high that spares are likely not needed. Not to mention the architecture is truly drool worthy. A beginner builder can easily build a family heirloom quality rifle.
   Now the kits are about $200 over the top $ price range you spoke of, this may be a deal breaker but the rifle you build will be worth North of $2000 if you do a nice job. Kibler kits are about the easiest to build that I know of.
   The next question is: do you really need a .50 cal to hunt your intended game animal? The Kibler southern mountain rifle goes up to .45 cal and I would hunt deer with that but your mileage may vary. If you must have a .50 than Kibler offers a Colonial Rifle in .50, it is a much more heavy rifle, but if you hunt from a blind it may not be an issue at all.
    My closing argument is that Flintlock "lock" quality is EVERYTHING when shooting and hunting, a poor lock makes a Flintlock rifle into a wall hanger.
   Of course if you don't want a "kit" at any price?...wait for better advice than mine. 8)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 04:32:38 PM by Hunterdude »

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 03:41:15 PM »
Hunterdude nailed it. You might also look at well built “custom” used guns but it takes a good bit of knowledge to evaluate them. You’d probably do well to have a knowledgeable friend to look at them.
Do you have a weight range requirement?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 03:44:01 PM »
I’d look for an early model TC  hawken or renegade  , there’s also the Dixie gun works southern mountain or (poor boy) rifles that are made in Japan are pretty well made . Mine is an early 7/8 barrel and the lock sparks very well

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 04:02:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum!...I know a bit about what you are looking for as I was in a similar boat. The largest issue that I think you face with a "production" gun is the Flintlock "lock" is often sketchy at best on production guns. I vastly prefur Flint as you are not rely on caps availability, and they just look  "better" IMHO
   I have a Pedersoli Frontier and it sparks just...."OK"...it is fairly accurate but it has a patent breech that can be a pain to clean, the architecture is not that great and I do get a flash in the pan with no ignition of main charge fairly often. I think the reliability of this rifle would improve by adding a white lighting touch hole, but it can be a pain to get parts for this rifle and I just can not recommend it.
    I will suggest a slightly different path than what you asked for and you can decide:
   Have you ever considered building a Jim Kibler kit? Kibler locks are fast and some of the hottest sparklers I have seen, also a white lighting touch hole comes standard and installed, all this quality will make a Kibler rifle a joy to hunt with and spare parts are readily available but quality is so high that spares are likely not needed.
   Now the kits are about $200 over the top $ price range you spoke of, this may be a deal breaker but the rifle you build will be worth North of $2000 if you do a nice job. Kibler kits are about the easiest to build that I know of.
   The next question is: do you really need a .50 cal to hunt your intended game animal? The Kibler southern mountain rifle goes up to .45 cal and I would hunt deer with that but your mileage may vary. If you must have a .50 than Kibler offers a Colonial Rifle in .50, it is a much more heavy gun but if you hunt from a blind it may not be an issue at all.
    My closing argument is that Flintlock "lock" quality is EVERYTHING when shooting and hunting, a poor lock makes a Flintlock rifle into a wall hanger.
   Of course if you don't want a "kit" at any price?...wait for better advice than mine. 8)

I second this. Kibler kits are easy. Like putting legos together and can be done in less than a week. Most of that time is allowing your finish to dry between coats.

Offline warren5421

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 11:00:13 PM »
I have not heard of the Jim Kibler kit.  For deer here I was told 50 cal was the min cal allowed.  I know no one that shoots flint.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 05:33:12 AM »
Kunk

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 09:02:35 PM »
My first flint rifle was a Pedersoli Kentucky in .32 caliber. The lock is reliable but hard on flints. I have since added 2 "custom" (not built specifically for me) guns to my collection.

I have yet to put hands on one, but if I was just starting out and didn't have the budget for a custom build, I would look hard at a Kibler kit.

Mike

Offline Paul from KY

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 10:14:31 PM »
I have two TC Hawken flintlocks and they have given me good service.  If you want something historically correct go for a Kibler kit.