Author Topic: Something a bit different (Horn)  (Read 915 times)

Offline Kevin

Something a bit different (Horn)
« on: December 30, 2021, 03:40:10 AM »
Story has it that Old Man Sedgwick, who lived out at the foot of the mountain, made this one.  He was widowed when his wife died in childbirth and then, a few years later, word reached him that his only living son wouldn't be coming home from the war.   After that he wasn't fit to be around and became very much a hermit living in the old cabin that had been turned into the summer kitchen.  After neighbors discovered he had passed they found much of the main house broken up and only a few possessions, including the horn, in the summer kitchen.

Please note the above is a story and a very recent one just like the horn that I worked at on-and-off for the past couple of months.  Here's a few pics:

This project made use of most of a horn on which I cracked the neck when setting a staple into it.  The remaining solid portion was coupled with a turning cut from an old broken walnut furniture leg and the brass spout was made out of a ramrod tip.

The surface of the horn was rubbed with a freshly sliced walnut hull resulting in a yellow-ish tint that was then given a coat of vinegaroon.  The idea of coloring horn with a a slice of walnut hull was picked up from another thread right here on the ALR.

Looking forward to more projects in 2022,

Kevin

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Something a bit different (Horn)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 07:16:01 PM »
 Different is right, not a bad thing. How big is the pour hole? Probably not going to be able to use that one to prime with :)

Tim

Offline Kevin

Re: Something a bit different (Horn)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 01:37:31 AM »
Different is right, not a bad thing. How big is the pour hole? Probably not going to be able to use that one to prime with :)

Tim

Greetings Tim,

Definitely not a priming horn.  Pour hole is about 5/16" inch.  The horn section is about 6 and 1/2 inches and the wood end adds another 2 inches.  The plug end is about 2 and 1/16th inches in diameter.  As I was working on it I envisioned it as something pieced together in the mid 19th century to go with a low end Birmingham double or even an ex-military smoothbore doing duty as a shotgun.

Thanks for looking,
Kevin