Author Topic: Every Man A Cobbler Welts  (Read 1824 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Every Man A Cobbler Welts
« on: December 31, 2021, 01:15:12 AM »
Putting a welt on leatherwork is an often forgotten or misunderstood topic because the simplicity of making a good one can be overlooked.
Take a look at these three Lyman Belt Bags made by my good friend Brokkennock up in New England and Mike from Oklahoma.
Broke put a divider in the pouch, easily put in because the bag is sewn with a flat seam and the divider is actually positioned where a welt would have gone if he chose to put one in there.

Two more little beauties are from Mike from Oklahoma, also flat seamed. 

These bags are efficient and useful in and of themselves and if you work with leather it is not hard to see how well they will age in patina and appearance in general.
So, then, why welt a seam?
A welt is simply a strip of leather sandwiched into a seam.  It is most useful in three areas ( excluding shoemaking, where it is used differently);

• Along the edge of a Knife Sheath where the blade runs along the seam
    Along the edge of a holster for that percussion gun we don’t mention in the forum
    In any product where the work is turned inside out.

The latter, one of those ever useful belt bags, is what we will work with here.  It’s main feature is the ability to add strength to, and protect,   the seam once the work is turned inside out.  It will also make the bag easier to turn.  Lastly, it will maintain the integrity of the curve in the seam where you want it; such as the corners or round of your pouch.

Take a look at these patterns for my own Lyman pouch.  The leather is raunchy enough to be aged before I even begin work, so I drew and cut on the flesh side for clarity.   That black area, along the edge of the cut marks, will be the welt.  It is about 3/8 to ½ inch, depending on your taste, and will be easier to work with because cutting it out along the pouch cut mark makes it easily follow the shape of the bag.

Of course, you can cut a simple, straight strip, but it can be a little hard to place and bend along the seam.  Doing it this way fashions a strip that is already shaped.

BEFORE you assemble the pouch  do whatever you wish with belt loops or the edging or the internal small pouch.  That way it will be easier to work with
There are other Tutorials in “Every Man A Cobbler” somewhere in the forum  ( if you wanna do a search) that will cover edges and stitching.  Jump onto YouTube and there are a lot of segments on leatherwork.  Weaver, Springfield, Tandy have pretty good pieces on stitching with off-the-shelf products, so you won’t  starve for technique.
I tend to vent the shop when using Good Ol’ Barge contact cement rather than tacky glue and a lot of clamps.  If you use Barge, be sure to come up for air once in a while because there is nothing quite like the smell of Barge and it doesn’t…smell like…Victory…
You also have to rough up the small edge of the flower side of the leather to make it stick better.
Glue one side of the welt to the OUTSIDE of the bag.

Now rough up the edge and glue to other piece of the pouch.  Note that your bag is assembled inside-out.  Of course, if you are making a sheath or holster, you are not going to turn anything inside out and your welt will separate a plain flat seam.  A pouch gets turned inside out.

Whether stitching by hand or by machine, it helps to draw your stitch line on the surface of the bag so your stitching does not wander off the welt or…worse…off the edge of the piece.  A good rule of thumb…but NOT an absolute… is to position the line off the edge by half the welt’s width.  Once this seam is closed, I like to run some warm water onto the whole project when  this piece is  made with a relatively stiff leather.  Fill the pouch but drain it before the leather drowns.  You don’t need a lot of water, especially if you are working with cowhide.  Oil tan and chrome tan tend to soak from the flesh side  because the finish resists water.  Deer, Elk and the soft leathers don’t need to be soaked.
Immediately turn this bad boy inside out and patiently knead it along the inside of the seam  to its final look.  If you are working with veg tanned cow and want an aged look, this will be where you scrunch up and stretch the bag to get that antique look.  Try to position all those wrinkles where they would be if they wore on a bag over time…such as on the face of the pouch  or toward the middle of the flap.  If you are going to color the bag and show wear, try to put the worn or thin color areas along the edges, where a bag wears over time.  Some terrible smelling de-glazer rubbed vigorously on the finish will get that look, and some saddle soap will be as close as you get to having the abused leather forgive you.
Be sure and spend time with your fingers forcing the seam to extend outward all the way so you can see the full welt.  It will almost always be easier to turn because of the welt, but may take more patience and time than you have if your corners are squared.  I did not finish the welt edge so it would photograph better, but This’ll be what you end up with;

One last word;  If you are one of those persnickety types who is looking for the ultimate authentic look, the way to distinguish your work from machine work is to have it just a smidge less than perfect and uniform when scrutinized by some guy with a magnifying glass.   Don’t tolerate sloppy or poor work, but allow just a little bit of differential.  Look close at this bag for a sec.  The stitches are tight and even, but if you stare long enough you will notice little irregularities that suggest wear and age.  I was once told that many Cordwainers would slip a stitch somewhere because only God is perfect, so I did that.
When you’re done the delicacy and smooth appearance of your work will pronounce itself over time.
Yeah, yeah, I know….delicacy…we’re tough guys.  I was a Marine too.  When the boogie man goes to sleep he checks under the bed in case there is a Marine there, etc., et al.
I betcha over time your patience and touch will beat this example…

Offline Brokennock

Re: Every Man A Cobbler Welts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 03:00:49 AM »
👍
Thanks for the time you take doing these.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 06:58:42 AM »
I'd like to thank you as well! These threads are incredibly helpful, informative, and well laid out. A very enjoyable read.

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 12:57:26 PM »
Some New Years Eve Breakfast!!!  A lot of egg on my face.  Mike from OK told me that they are not his bags, and I only have homina homina homina because I asked him a year ago if I could use them and they have been sitting on my desktop since then.  Now I need to apologize to whomever did those nice little bags and ask....

Who did 'em?

Thank God I am not going senile

Who did 'em?

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 06:39:52 PM »
You attributed mine correctly, but probably not the best pic of that bag, lol.

I remember seeing the other bags you posted but I dint remember who made them.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 08:25:26 PM »
Capgun,

Thanks for the tutorial.  I have a question about Barge cement.  The stuff they sell these days is not the same formulation as the old version I used to use (as is the case with so many things these days).  Are you using some recently purchased cement ?  I used to have great luck with the old version but the new stuff doesn't stick nearly as well....at least for me.

Thanks....and Happy New Year ! (Let's hope this next one turns out better than the last one.....or is it two ?.....I've lost track !!!

David
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 10:11:18 PM »
davec2...I am currently using Wellwood contact because it will behave like the old Barge.  The trick is to let it dry longer, and it'll equal the old Barge that was available to the consumer if you use a heat gun.  Since I don't put synthetic soles on my shoes, I don't do that.  I can't even recall when Barge changed its distribution and what ordinances impacted that.

In fact, the only thing I rely on it for is holding together a stitched seam.  A lot of leatherworkers are using the white, tacky glues which work well if you are willing to wait a while for them to dry.

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 02:58:16 AM »
CG, I've been using Weldwood for 15 or more years, I prefer the gel, easier to control.

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 06:14:09 PM »
Beaverman... is the gel a contact cement?  I haven't seen around here in Central Pa...

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 08:02:02 PM »
Some New Years Eve Breakfast!!!  A lot of egg on my face.  Mike from OK told me that they are not his bags, and I only have homina homina homina because I asked him a year ago if I could use them and they have been sitting on my desktop since then.  Now I need to apologize to whomever did those nice little bags and ask....

Who did 'em?

Thank God I am not going senile

Who did 'em?

Mystery solved Greg! The other bag was made by John SMOthermon...

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=58163.0

Mike

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 01:01:18 AM »
Guilty…

🥴

No apologies are necessary…🤣

Both are still in use and have served e well.👍
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'