Author Topic: Best Flint for Kibler SMR CNC lock?  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Hunterdude

Best Flint for Kibler SMR CNC lock?
« on: December 31, 2021, 08:55:49 AM »
I have a Kibler SMR kit coming soon, I would like to order a nice supply of top quality flints for it. Kibler longrifle list a 3/4"x7/8" flint as correct size, and show a photo of an amber color flint on website, but limit (3) per kit purchased and also currently sold out.
    So if anyone is running Jim kiblers CNC lock and found some great flints? Please share the source!
    Also I have limited experience with Flintlocks, my Pedersoli Frontier is easy on them, but all other " production" Flintlocks I have messed with where very hard on flints, so any tips that could be shared on setting the SMR up to spark well and flints to last is also greatly appreciated.

PS: I am not expecting issues with the high grade lock....but admitted am a bit "gunshy" after a few rounds with production grade "rock crushers" ???

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:16:40 AM by Hunterdude »

Offline Mike from OK

Re: Best Flint for Kibler SMR CNC lock?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 09:05:49 AM »
Hard to beat these...

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/141/1

Size #6 should be the one you need if you want ¾ x ⅞

Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 02:10:08 PM »
First things first- stop worrying until you have a reason to worry.  Try the lock first and see how it does.  Having flints ahead is a good plan, but you have plenty of time while you are building.
I have found that locks that are hard on flints can be due to frizzen rebound. That is where the flint strikes the frizzen and pops it open.  But due to springs, the frizen bounces back and hits the edge of the flint, breaking or knapping it. 
The Brad Emigs and Jim Chambers of the world can get rid of that with spring modifications and such.  An easy 250+ year old solution is to simply extend your jaw leather forward out over the top of the flint. It pads the flint and prevents knapping. 
God bless, Marc

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 04:13:17 PM »
I have purchased flints from stonewallcreekoutfitters.com  .  The service, and quality was excellent.  I recommend them.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 04:24:42 PM »
I currently have one of Jim K's SMR kits on the bench, but cannot comment on flint size other than to say Jim recommends 3//4" x 7/8".  The lock arrived with a 3/4" by 7/8" mounted and it certainly looks right and functions as expected.

The purpose of my post is to recommend Stonewall Creek Outfitters as a source for flints.  They are great folks to deal with, have good prices and no limits on quantity.  Limits on quantity can have a significant effect on the landed price of flints.  The amber colored flints are French amber.  I use both black English and French amber flints and find them both to stand up well - given a good working lock.

Edit: It appears Bob beat me to the punch while I was typing.

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 04:28:31 PM »
I assembled a Kibler SMR last year. I shoot it often. I use English Flints from TOTW 3/4" x 7/8". I've also used Flints from The Log Cabin Shop. They are both great!

Offline Spalding

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 04:51:28 PM »
I got quite a few shots from the flint that came in lock from Kibler. At least 60-70, I wasn’t really counting. I did knap it a bit.
Since then I’ve been using the black English from Track that previous posters have mentioned. I’m at about 40 shots with the current one and it still looks and performs like it did when I installed it.

Bob

Offline Metequa

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 09:08:50 PM »
Stonewall Creek Outfitters are great folks to do business with and the flints are excellent!  Only a few what I would call "cull" pieces in the 100 I bought from them.  I also believe that they are the source for Chambers now...

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 10:52:41 PM »
I've used flints form both Stonewall Creek and Track. I liked dealing with both of them.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marvin S

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 01:05:39 AM »
I just received a TOTW order for some miscellaneous rifle parts and also made a max order of 12 3/4 x 7/8 amber flints. I would have rejected 2 or 3 so not feeling warm and fuzzy. Had better luck with heritage products out of MO.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 01:23:57 AM »
I got a batch from Stonewall Creek Outfitters. 200 amber flints not a bad one in the batch.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 02:02:08 AM »
One of my daughters lives about 2 miles down the road from TOTW so when ever I go visit I plan a stop at TOTW and they let me pic through the flints so I can get the flat ones and not the humped back ones that wont stay in a short jaw lock.

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 01:03:12 AM »
Many thanks to all who shared, I have a good idea on where to place my flint order now. :)