Author Topic: Chuck Dixon  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Frank

Re: Chuck Dixon
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2022, 04:21:58 PM »
I first met Chuck back in 1985. He was a giant in the field of black powder and muzzle loading. He was a fountain of knowledge and could always be counted on to assist anybody. Attended every gun fair from 1985 until they were stopped by the Governor and his Covid mania. I had a table in the big tent for a few years in the 1980s. It was pure joy to be there even if I didn’t sell anything. Thank you for everything Chuck and god bless. RIP.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2022, 04:37:47 PM »
I saw Chuck several times while attending the Gun Fair but never had the pleasure of meeting him. Sorry to hear of his death, may God comfort his family.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2022, 05:18:25 PM »
I've been a customer for over 30 years. When I lived in New Jersey they were only an hour and a quarter away. I always enjoyed talking with Chuck. And, a visit to Dixon's was always followed by a cheesesteak at the Krumsville Inn.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2022, 05:21:33 PM »
RIP my friend.  I consider it a privilege to have met and talked with Chuck during my trips to the Gunmakers Fair.
David

Offline scottmc

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2022, 05:28:17 PM »
I'm sad for Greg and the rest of Chuck's family.   I still remember walking into his store as a young guy back in the late 80's and being awestruck. Chuck would always be at the counter and would greet you with a friendly hello.  And then to talk with you until the cows came home as long as another customer didnt need assistance.  He was definitely a legendary figure for PA muzzle loading.  Rest in peace!
Remember Paoli!

Offline Penske

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2022, 06:12:45 PM »
Truly a sad start to the new year. I was just at Dixon's on the 27th talked with Greg but had no idea his dad was dong that poorly. Knew Chuck from years ago, always ready to assist with questions or just chew the fat. He will be missed. Prayers to the Dixon family.

Offline j. pease

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2022, 06:16:44 PM »
Always enjoyed seeing him at the Gunmakers fair, he will be missed

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2022, 06:30:17 PM »
Never met him in person. But ordered some parts....
Nothing to be said I guess.... :-\
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2022, 06:49:24 PM »
I never had the honor of meeting him but his book The Art of Building The Pennsylvania Long Rifle has had a tremendous impact on me. Rest in peace Sir.
I agree 100%, I have copy #85 of The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Long Rifle.  I was introduced to Schimmel by Muzzle Blasts, which had an article that featured one of his guns. I never met Mr Dixson, but he had a great influence on my muzzleloading interests! Rest in peace.
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline duca

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2022, 07:39:23 PM »
O NO... Sooo sad to hear this. My prayers go out to his family. He will surely be missed

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2022, 07:58:52 PM »
Any of this crowd remember when Chuck first stated that business working out out of the stone summer kitchen over near Hawk Mountain when he was into the feedlot cattle business?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2022, 08:03:06 PM »
Yes, I remember Hawk Mountain.
Andover, Vermont

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2022, 08:41:06 PM »
At 13 years old, my father had me buy a T/C Renegade kit so I could hunt the flintlock season here in PA with my own rifle.

I finished that kit (which amounted to finish sanding and applying stain/finish to the wood) myself at that age, and the gun still looks good....but more importantly, it's a workhorse and that's because of Chuck Dixon.

Before Dad let me do anything at all to that kit, he took me and it to Dixon's where we had installed a Lyman frizzen on the TC lock and target sights (square post/deep and square-notch'ed rear sight). Then I was allowed to finish the kit and that gun killed a bunch of deer for me. Over 30 years later it's in great shape and ready to hunt.

Small, teeny tiny thing in the grand scheme of what Dixon's and Chuck himself represent, but it's also representative of what he did and who he was and what made him such a figure in our community. He helped anyone...even 13 year old me.

Offline Berksrifle

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2022, 01:17:36 AM »
 The first time I met Chuck was at his first shop near Hawk Mountain in 1980.
 My friend and went to see what this place was like. It was snowing like crazy and we got there before the 8:00 AM opening. Chuck was on his Farmal tractor plowing the parking lot. When he saw us in the car, he told us to get into shop to warm up and get coffee. His warmth and kindness that day was inspirational.
 I've been to Dixon's many times since 1980 and Chuck was always the same wonderful man.

Ken

Offline 409

• Starting Member
    • Wayne Doucette
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2022, 07:37:59 PM »
 Years ago probably in the late 70's, early 80's on the way home to Nova Scotia from Friendship I stopped at Dixon's for the first time. I was looking for a wide plank to build a Jaeger and found one at Chuck's. After talking to Chuck for all of 10 minutes I decided not to buy it. Having spent most of my money at friendship I was concerned that I would not have enough to pay the customs fees at the border, That's when Chuck INSISTED that I take the wood and pay him when I built the gun. I will never forget his generosity and trust and have told the story many times and I guess one more time won't hurt. He and people like Chuck are why I am still involved.  Respectfully Wayne

Offline Kevin

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2022, 07:48:10 PM »
Mr. Dixon was a fine gentleman and will truly be missed.  The Dixon family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Kevin

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2022, 08:09:26 PM »
Sorry to hear of his passing. I would have loved to have met him and to attend the Gun Makers Fair. Prayers for his family.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2022, 09:40:03 PM »
What a huge loss.  My prayers for him and Greg&Brenda.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2022, 10:02:41 PM »
He will be missed.  His name and his life will never be forgotten

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2022, 12:35:16 AM »
The first time I went to Dixon's was in 2004. I bought a copy of Chuck's book and asked if he could autograph it for me. Even though he was busy he came over, signed it, and spent a minute or two talking with me. He was a true gentleman and will be sorely missed. RIP Chuck Dixon.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2022, 04:32:43 AM »
 Chuck was one of the kindest people I have ever met.
Four years ago my brother an I drove down to Dixon's gun makers fair. We were walking by his house when unknown to us who he was. Said " You guy's look hot an thirsty ! ". It was 90 some degrees. Anyway he offered us some water an invited us up on his porch. We spent a couple hours just talking about everything.
Chuck was so polite an friendly to us. People he'd just met.
 We need more people like him.
May you R.I.P.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2022, 06:54:00 AM »
Sorry to say that I never had the opportunity, pleasure and honor to attend the Fair but loved all the discussions that painted such a wonderful picture of all that went on. Chuck will be missed by the entire community, whether people realize it or not at this time. Prayers and condolences to his family and close friends. Pray God will bless and comfort all.
elkhorne

Offline LynnC

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2022, 07:54:36 AM »
There is no greater tribute to a mans life than the warm memories, thoughts and feelings of his friends. RIP Mr Dixon
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:07:58 AM by LynnC »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2022, 05:16:44 PM »
Chuck's passing is very sad indeed. Dixon's was a special place for me coming from Michigan. I always made it a point to chat for a bit and thank him for the effort needed to host the fair.