Author Topic: Share your best Kibler SMR group/ load/ accuracy tips?  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Hunterdude

Share your best Kibler SMR group/ load/ accuracy tips?
« on: January 01, 2022, 04:29:02 AM »
Hopefully you guys do not get tired of my enthusiasm 8)
  I have a Kibler SMR kit perhaps less than 2 week out ship date...the waiting is rough, so I have been just talking about Kibler SMR.
   I guess I am hopeful I may eventually be able to clover leaf groups at 25 yards and sub 1 3/8" at 50 yards( or better) with my .32 Kibler. I know the Lion share will be up to me to find the patch/ ball/ lube/ charge that my rifle likes....my hope is others might post groups they have achieved, and tips to get there. I will have a .32 but interested in all caliber's of Kibler SMR!....I may like to order a second kit in .40 or .45
     Also of interest is any build tips/ mods that might squeeze another nickels worth of accuracy out of the rifle? I don't know anything off the top of my head other than not let the barrel pins get wallowed out, but others here may?
   Also I realise that practice/vision/skill and rifle care and maintainance play a vital role...Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:15:55 AM by Hunterdude »

Offline Frank

Re: Share your best Kibler SMR group/ load/ accuracy tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 04:55:29 AM »
40 caliber Kibler SMR. 40 grains 3F, .015 patch, .395 ball. Puts them all in one hole at 25 yards off the bench.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 05:47:34 AM »
I wouldnt worry about group size at 25, find your best shooting group at 50 then go to 25 to sight in. Shoot a lot of different combos and keep a note book of the results, even save the targets. Only change one variable at a time in your load development. ;)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 06:26:54 PM »
First 7 shots out of a new Rice barrel, .45 cal Kibler SMR. No sight adjustment, or load development.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 07:38:15 PM »
Nice!! :D

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 12:26:50 AM »
I only have one load for each of my rifles and that is the best and most accurate load for that particular rifle except my .40 caliber Kibler SMR. That rifle has two loads 1 for paper targets and 1 for hunting. The paper load is 40 grains of Goex 3F a .390 round ball with a .015 ticking patch and T.O.T.W. Mink oil. The other is 60 grains of Goex 3F with the same patch, ball and lube. i don't normally keep targets but I did this one I just am not sure which load I was using so feel free to try both of them. I believe the perfect bullseye on the scorecard was with 40 grains and the red bullseye was at 50 yrds with 60 grains.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 06:32:59 PM »
Looking good, are there any .32 cal Kibler SMR's out there?

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 07:00:28 PM »
Here is my Kibler SMR in .45 caliber at 50 yards offhand during a club match from a few years ago.

short goodbye poems

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 08:43:14 PM »
That's a great target, Bob.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 03:14:26 PM »
Thank you, Daryl.  Most all of my offhand groups are not this close but If I don't zig-zag too much when I yank the trigger, they will all be in the black for a low to mid 40's score. If a shot goes in the white it is my fault and not this rifle.

In the end it is still a very light rifle with a slim barrel. Not the proper rifle for timed match shooting. It would be much more suited to informal novelty matches which with the proper eyesight and trigger control it would excel.

Mirage during an NMLRA timed off-hand match was my main problem.  I put a slightly higher set of sights on the SMR and pace my shots during a 30-minute relay.

To add to all this the rifle is relatively trouble free.  Just load, prime and shoot. Just like any flintlock an occasional misfire from a dull flint if I try to finish a 2nd match without knapping.

Bob

Offline wolf

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2022, 03:34:19 PM »
not to take anything away from anyone, but groups at 25 yds are mostly pointless. anything will shoot at 25yds. you need to be at 50,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2022, 05:44:38 PM »
I know what you’re saying, BUT, if a gun won’t group at 25 yds, then it sure as heck won’t group at 50.
You can waste a lot of powder and lead trying to figure thing out by NOT starting close.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2022, 08:39:47 PM »
Looking good, are there any .32 cal Kibler SMR's out there?

I have one.  I have tried dozens of combinations.  I have about 200 shots on it.  It is fickle.  The best I have been about to do @50 yards is about 2" for five shots off the bench with a peep sight.  Yes, sometimes I get three in a tight cluster, but there are always flyers.  My best combination has been with a 0.312" ball, 0.018" patch damp with moose milk, and 30 grain of swiss. 

I got some .315" and .319" balls to try next. 

My barrel had lands that are wider than the grooves.  The barrel maker says that is is not a problem.  As the cutter wears and is re-sharpened it gets narrower.  I believe that it may make getting the best accuracy more difficult.  Who knows?  I will try again tomorrow. 

I made a patch cutter of the correct size for 32.  I find that tiny precut patches are too fiddley.  Cutting at the muzzle works better for me.  I also made a short starter with a muzzle guide out of 1/4 steel, brass tips, brass guide, maple ball.  It is excellent.  The previous one was 1/4" brass and a golf ball. 

Good luck

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 09:09:24 PM »
The major difference that I experienced with bores in which the grooves are narrower than the lands, is the ease of loading.  I cannot say I can see accuracy suffering.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 09:26:42 PM »
My Kibler .32 finally came in. We know Jim is currently rifling everything from .40 cal on down. I will take my time with the build, but have some pillow ticking and pocket drill cloth to try plus I will weight sort my .32 lead balls. I hope to do better than 2" at 50 yards but will report my results.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2022, 11:38:04 PM »
My best loads in a similar .32 barrel to Scota4570's with narrow grooves and wider lands, was either a .311" ball or .320" ball, both with 10 ounce denim or the .0235" mattress ticking
with 35gr. 3F GOEX.
This is the muzzle. A starter wasn't necessary, as that tiny ball conformed into the rifling easily, with just vertical pressure on a choked up rod. I loaded some like that just for demonstration
purposes when on our trail. I normally use a starter as it is faster.
Incidentally, the bore was slightly smaller as a .320" ball would sit on a bare muzzle & not fall down by itself.
At 25 yards, the first group I shot with this barrel, was with 20gr. 3F GOEX and .0225" (early 10 ounce)denim. 5 shots made a slighlty oblong .40cal hole.
At 50 yards, the same load was over 2".  It did not shrink much until I got up to 35gr., then went 1" to 1 1/2".

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 11:41:25 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2022, 02:59:22 AM »
My Kibler .32 finally came in. We know Jim is currently rifling everything from .40 cal on down. I will take my time with the build, but have some pillow ticking and pocket drill cloth to try plus I will weight sort my .32 lead balls. I hope to do better than 2" at 50 yards but will report my results.

Jim is supplying Rice barrels.  I just bought one a few days ago.  I do not know that he is currently rifling his own yet.  IF you care you should ask before you buy. 

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2022, 04:10:30 AM »

Jim is supplying Rice barrels.  I just bought one a few days ago.  I do not know that he is currently rifling his own yet.  IF you care you should ask before you buy.

I watched his YouTube video showing his rifling process on his CNC lathe, at the time of the video filming he was planning to rifle everything from .40 cal on down. I since read something about an issue with the rifling process. Perhaps he has stopped. I am not to fussy how the rifling gets in the barrels, so long as they perform well.

Online Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2022, 11:10:35 PM »
My SMR is in 40, likes a 65 grain charge of GOEX 3F at 50 yards. At 25 I can go down to 50 and be alright for a woodswalk/fun shoot
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Wmasswolf

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2022, 11:09:45 PM »
Kibler SMR in .36. I use .350 round ball, .020 pre lubed patch over 40gr of scheutzen or swiss 3f. Prime 1/3 to 1/2 pan with 3f or 4f.

Off hand group here at 35 yards for turkey shoot practice.

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2022, 07:38:25 PM »

my .36 is Rifled by Kibler on a Green Mountain blank

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2022, 08:34:06 PM »
I shot my 32 again.  I tried various new loads.  A 0.319 ball and 0.019" wet patch wins out at 40 grains of 3F Swiss. 
On a whim I tried .310 balls, 0.014" patch and 40 grains.  The groups were similar.  About 1 1/2" @ 50 yards.  The key seems to be a large powder charge.  Mine has a Rice barrel. 

Regarding accuracy testing.  I do all accuracy testing at 50 yards, 5-shots, off the bench, forend  and buttstock rested, and a peep sight.  I am not testing my skills I am testing the rifle. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2022, 09:39:19 PM »
Double rested and aperture sight - should be better, I agree, Scot.
Daryl