Author Topic: Stutts and/or Higgins Long Rifles from Lauderdale County Alabama  (Read 880 times)

Offline BT

• Starting Member
Anyone have any information on long rifles made in Lauderdale County, Alabama - mid 1800 timeframe?  I'm especially interested in the Stutts Rifles and Higgins Rifles (?) that were produced during this time in the local areas of Green Hill and Waterloo.  My mother is a direct descendant of Jacob Stutts and also Alexander and Josiah Higgins.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Stutts and/or Higgins Long Rifles from Lauderdale County Alabama
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 07:41:03 PM »
Check your PM, I have sent you some information.

Jim Parker
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline BT

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 08:40:51 PM »
Thank you, Mr. Parker.  I greatly appreciate the information.

BT

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 09:41:04 PM »
Are these Higgins the clan from Georgia? Possibly related  to Wiley Higgins the famous Georgia gunsmith. If so you might look for the Kennedy’s as well. Wiley Higgins, and Hiram Kennedy trained in North Carolina, and then moved to Georgia. After the Civil war they moved from Georgia to Alabama, and eventually ended up in California.

Hungry Horse

Offline BT

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 10:27:33 PM »
I'm not 100% sure about the relationship to the Georgia Higgins.  I do think there is a link there but am mainly interested in the Higgins that resided in Waterloo, AL - namely Alexander and Josiah Higgins.  The limited information we have on them is that they were blacksmiths/gunsmiths and produced some long rifles in the Waterloo area.

As for the Kennedys, we have slightly more detailed info on them.  They moved to Greenhill, AL from NC.  Jacob Stutts was associated with the Kennedys and had a gun making facility in Greenhill, as well.  Our familial relationships are with the Stutts/Higgins.

Thank you for the info.  We do plan to investigate the Georgia Higgins in the near future.

BT

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 01:25:43 PM »
Contact Tom Kilgo. He is THE Alabama gun expert and wrote a book several years back that has information on both. I believe he sold a beautiful Stuart’s rifle to a member of that family a year or so ago.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline BT

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 02:32:49 PM »
Thank you.  I have Tom's book and will see about contacting him.

BT