Author Topic: Ramrod aid  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Percy

Ramrod aid
« on: January 02, 2022, 12:53:34 AM »
Went to the outside range to shoot my longbow today. With cold hands I was struggling to pull my arrows from the 3d targets. Guy next to me says here, try this. He handed me a little device that made it easy to grip and pull my arrows. It is called a 3rd hand griper, sells for about $10 to $12. When I got home I tried it on my ramrod, what a difference. Small little rubber thing that you can attach to your bag strap or just throw in the bag. Grips any size ramrod and no more worries about breaking the ramrod and putting it thru your hand. You might want to check it out.   Percy

Offline 45-110

Re: Ramrod aid
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 01:42:09 AM »
Thinking I have 2 in the kitchen drawer....small rubber pads for opening cans and bottles?
kw

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 08:04:20 AM »
Nice卙ave to try that. Yup ..them arrows come out tuff sometimes.

Offline Percy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 06:12:38 PM »
This little tool really enhances your grip. No more squeezing the heck out of the ramrod trying to load the patched round ball. You don't even have to take your glove off to use it.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 08:33:55 PM »
Thinking I have 2 in the kitchen drawer....small rubber pads for opening cans and bottles?
kw

That's what came to my mind. Those have been around since twist-top jars were invented. I'm rather sure of it! AND since I favor the fingerless woolen glove, which prevents effective "gription" just a well as they prevent cold fingers, I'll have to start keeping one of those in my work vest.  Maybe one in the bag.  Thanks
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 08:38:31 PM »
The rubber "straps" used in Hospital laboratories by lab assistants for pressurizing arms when 'taking" blood samples work well, too.
Daryl
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Not English

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 06:00:58 AM »
They may be effective, but they're sure not Period!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 04:35:08 PM »
Maybe it's not PC but what I use sure beats getting the ramrod stuck in the barrel on a hunt.

I use a ramrod with a threaded brass tip on each end. I use a wooden ball with a threaded stud threaded into it. Screw it on the rod and push and pull as much as I need. Make sure the brass fittings are pinned.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 10:28:25 PM »
Pete:  I use a system that in effect, is similar to yours.  I use short starters, so I drill a hole abut 1/2" deep into the knob which fits loosely over the end of my ramrod.  I lock the starter onto the rod simply by moving one of the fingers of my pushing hand onto the junction of the knob and rob, and that way, the knob doesn't slip off the rod and pinch your hand.  The immense surface area of the knob makes pushing down a tight combination easy peasy.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 11:38:11 PM »
 ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 01:02:29 AM »
All of these have a hole for the end of the rod, as well as a short stud to get the patched ball started (except for the horn). ;D

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 05:44:36 AM »
I copied D's design above, but used osage orange rather than antler. Moose are scarce in TN.
Hold to the Wind

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 06:10:06 AM »
If you ever have to go to rehab they might make you work out with those rubbery straps of different color. They might send some home with you and I have used those to get a grip on stubborn pickle jars. One end of the strap on the jar and one on the lid.  :) Should work for ramrods too.  ;D

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 04:29:29 PM »
They'll only work if you have enough ramrod to grab.

My method won't have that problem.

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 11:08:19 PM »
Went to the outside range to shoot my longbow today. With cold hands I was struggling to pull my arrows from the 3d targets. Guy next to me says here, try this. He handed me a little device that made it easy to grip and pull my arrows. It is called a 3rd hand griper, sells for about $10 to $12. When I got home I tried it on my ramrod, what a difference. Small little rubber thing that you can attach to your bag strap or just throw in the bag. Grips any size ramrod and no more worries about breaking the ramrod and putting it thru your hand. You might want to check it out.   Percy

Can you post a link?  I tried to google it but came up with a bunch of different tools but not the right one.

Thanks!

Offline Percy

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 02:17:03 AM »
Google: Third Hand Arrow Puller. It is a round piece of rubber about 3.5" long and about 1.25" diameter with a V groove cut to grab any diameter up to approximately 1/2". Hang it on your shooting bag strap or put it in your pocket. It grips a ramrod like you would not believe and when PRB is almost seated turn it and use it as a T handle. May not be PC but it works for me.

Percy 

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 08:05:06 AM »
Thank you!