Author Topic: Original Punt Gun  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Feltwad

Original Punt Gun
« on: January 02, 2022, 07:52:45 PM »
To be sold at Holts UK Sealed Bid Auction on the 6th January 2022  a original punt gun. Lot2062A
Feltwad

Offline Metequa

Re: Original Punt Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 08:14:42 PM »
Bore size must be almost two inches, wow!

Offline Metequa

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 08:28:11 PM »
Found the listing, it states the 86 1/4" barrel has a 1 1/2" bore!  Notch in butt stock for "arrestor" ropes.  Nice piece!

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 01:09:49 AM »
This gun was originally a flintlock and converted to percussion  the lock is on the large side and is 10 inches' in length  and  built  approximately 1730-50 . These gun were known has tools of the trade and  people made a living when fowl were in season on the English fens and marshes  and now are becoming very rare .I bought this gun in the 1980s it was used on the marshes at Grafham Water UK before it became  a reservoir
Feltwad

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 01:29:04 AM »
There was an antique shop in the far Eastern part of this town that had a flintlock punt gun with
a barrel that was EIGHT FEET long and not in bad condition.It was hung over the door and more likely to
be noticed on the way out than when coming in.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 11:14:30 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Metequa

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 06:25:48 AM »
Interesting history Feltwad, how much would you say the gun weighs? 

Offline okieboy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 07:34:43 AM »
 Feltwad, was this gun actually mounted on a punt? I ask, because I am guessing that it would take a fairly large punt to mount this piece.
Okieboy

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 11:09:01 AM »
Yes the gun was mounted on a punt  which most likely would have been a two man punt    for use on coastal  estuary's . The actual weight would have been  in the excess of  a cwt this was one of the main reasons that  I was selling it ,it was too heavy for me to handle .
Feltwad

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 04:19:33 PM »
 Fine example , I was thinking the cut out in the butt would be set in the seat of a punt, didn't think about the rope idea. For more information on this type gun see the book "The Outlaw Gunner" by Harry M. Walsh. Great writeup and Pix.

Tim C.   

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 03:41:58 PM »
The punt gun now sold
Feltwad

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 05:45:14 PM »
The punt gun now sold
Feltwad
Curios, how much?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 08:25:29 PM »
The punt gun now sold
Feltwad
Curios, how much?

A bargain for $1697.25
Feltwad

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:18:50 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 10:10:05 PM »
These "punt guns" were also very popular on the eastern shore of the Chesapeke Bay by those selling to the Baltimore waterfowl trade.

Tradition holds that they were used at night on the floating "rafts" of sleeping ducks.  There are a few on display in both Baltimore and Annapolis.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 11:55:28 PM »
The punt gun now sold
Feltwad
Curios, how much?
A bargain for $1697.25
Feltwad

Yes, a bargain indeed. Most all I have seen in person were very crude. Your's is quite nice.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:19:35 AM by Ky-Flinter »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

willskee

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 09:47:48 PM »
I have a serious question for this group, but it might sound ridiculous. I work for a company that's looking to purchase a punt gun, for fun but also for content purposes. Ideally we're looking for something 6' or longer. Any leads or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2022, 02:48:20 PM »
The Upper Bay Museum in North East Maryland has a nice collection of punt guns used on the Chesapeake Bay. Here is an example on a couple as they were mounted.

Neat town by the way and well worth visiting if you are in the area. Has some great little shops and good seafood resturants, the museum is free will offering and very well done.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 05:32:48 PM »
These are cool tools of the trade. The powder charges and shot loads were “impressive”.
Some years back when The Museum of The Rockies had there massive “Atlatl to Nuclear Missiles” theme they had a very …. Remainder deleted.

Sorry would have to mention a brass suppository gun and someone might get offended…
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 09:11:38 PM »
I remember reading somewhere about a shot from a 1 1/2" bored punt gun, that spewed 3 pounds of #3 shot, killing 127 ducks with that one shot.
IIRC, the article noted that the closest ducks were 90yards and the furthest were 'about' 120yards.
That was supposed to be a single shot record.
I don't remember where it was supposedly done nor by whom.
3 pounds seems like an excessive shot charge, to me, kinda like 1 1/2 to 2 ounces in a 20 bore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V