Author Topic: JP McCoy rifle  (Read 2519 times)

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
JP McCoy rifle
« on: January 03, 2022, 05:48:42 AM »
I just purchased. JPMcCoy rifle ….a half stock .45 (?) rifle in pretty nice shape ( except that it was loaded and evidently had been fired and not cleaned before loading many years ago.)   I have a couple of questions for those who would remember ( that would be the people my age, but more knowledgeable)  something about the barrel construction.  The barrel seems to be .45 cal. until the point where the drum screws in…..then there is a reduced diameter hole for a short distance to where the breechplug butts up. (My search indicated that it may be a Green Mountain barrel,)
Has anyone with any knowledge of these run into this ?    My search of the internet indicates that these were made in the 1980’s in Nevada to compete with the influx of Spanish/Italian reproduction guns,and that they were pretty nice quality, plain , competitively priced guns ( which seems to be the case here.)  in my years of building, shooting ML rifles I have never seen an arrangement like this.
“Inquiring minds want to know”
FWIW, I will be keeping and shooting this one….may have to “fresh it “ but I’m game.
Mikeyfirelock
Mike Mullins

Offline JHeath

Re: JP McCoy rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 06:38:41 AM »
Sounds like a "patent breech". The powder sits in a recess smaller than the bore diameter. Supposedly for better internal ballistics but not everybody believes in them. Just take care to clean it, have an extra brush and scraper that fits in it.

Google can explain "patent breech" better than I can.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 03:25:48 PM »
 Hmmm…..It’s not like the patent breech we normally see, but that is a possibility I hadn’t considered.
Mike Mullins

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 04:14:18 PM »
Possibly a drum fitted to a flint patent breech. Might have been flint first, and then converted.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 05:58:34 PM »
Hmmm……possible I suppose, but I’m pretty sure it’s all original.     I think the original owner was a customer of mine at one time years ago, and he wasn’t the type to mess around like that.
Mike Mullins

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 01:39:03 AM »
On reflection, I think JHeath is correct…..it is a patent breech…just not in the cast one piece configuration we ( that is “I” ) am used to. Thank you J Heath.
Mikeyfirelock
Mike Mullins

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 03:13:37 AM »
I guess one could make that assumption about it being a patent breech.  I had one of their rifles for a few years and like a dummy, I sold it.  Good rifle, shot spot on.
But, speaking of JP rifles, does anyone have any idea about what ever happened with that outfit?
I know the original owner sold it and moved from Las Vegas to somewhere in Northern California and started training dogs.  As far as the business goes, it seems to have disappeared.  Where'd it go?  Anyone know?
Thanks,
John (Bigsmoke)

Offline duca

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 10:56:30 PM »
That would be Jim searls... I think that’s how you spell his name.?. JP gunstocks. Used to Advertise in muzzleloader and muzzleblast magazine. I bought a 36 caliber squirrel rifle back in the early 90s from him. Nice gun but it had a straight barrel and it was a little heavy. Sold it about 15 years ago. I heard he retired

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Yearcher

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 04:46:21 AM »
I have a j p McCoy full stock flintlock .45 I bought I think back in the 80’s from mountain state muzzleloading. Still have it and shoot it.  Have shot several deer with it. Very accurate gun.  I’ve made several modifications to it though. My understanding was that it is a green river barrel. And an l and r lock.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 03:14:00 AM »
The barrels were Green Mountain & the locks & triggers were L&R. I had a .32 percussion of theirs that I won at the old National Western Rondy in Paradise Valley, MT many years ago that was an accurate rifle & quite reliable. No patent breach. I wonder if someone drilled the breach on yours for a powder chamber? I dont think they came that way from Searles.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 04:36:45 AM »
Should have replied earlier……….the $#@* load in the breech  ( and I’m not sure it was even black powder):was so old and solid that it actually would make a metal rod sound like there was metal there. ( I pulled the ball before this….it was actually what was left of a load of “something.”)
 I soaked it and finally broke it up and out…..breech area is devoid of all but remnants of rifling.  Rest of bore is not very good but might be useable at 25 yds.   I scrubbed it with paper towel loaded with JB bore cleaner and wrapped tightly around the rod till it strikes smoothly.
Rest of gun looks pretty nice .  Am considering a rebarrel.  Or maybe trying freshening.
mikeyfirelock
Mike Mullins