Author Topic: January Postal Match  (Read 5693 times)

Offline alacran

Re: January Postal Match
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2022, 03:02:24 PM »

I shot this yesterday with my .62 cal. smoothbore. All I plan on shooting till my Javelina hunt is over.
600 ball Jo Ann's pocket drill, bear lube, and 70 grains 2F Goex. Score it a 43. One ball had a mind of its own.
I had run out of ink so I printed only one target. I first shot at a target that was nearly identical, to warm up. Afterwards I shot a trail walk I had set up last month.
Three 10' sawblades and four 7 1/2-inch blades ranging from 45 to 70 yards. I shoot them as soon as I find them. my rules. Happy I hit them all.
.600 ball takes chunks out of the blades.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 03:18:41 PM by alacran »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2022, 04:41:55 PM »
No shooting today. The cold snap continues but now we have a raging blizzard to enhance our enjoyment  ;)   

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2022, 10:08:39 PM »
Bob: that's how it was for us all throughout December.  We had a week of +3 C here and were able to get out to the range.  It can't last.  Jan and Feb are our coldest nastiest months.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2022, 10:17:11 PM »
Good target, alacran. Fliers sometimes abound, with a smoothie. Sometimes you get a target with none.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Maven

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2022, 02:08:17 AM »
Nice work with a smoothie, alacran! :) :)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Jburt9

• Starting Member
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2022, 06:28:07 AM »
Long time lurker, first time poster. Shot both of these with my .54 Kibler colonial. 90 grains Goex 3F .530 ball, Joanns pocket drill patch with track mink oil lube. Shot standing. I forgot to put my card board backer behind the first target so it’s a bit blown out but still readable.
Scored 46-2X and 47.

Jeff

Offline Daryl

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2022, 07:18:50 AM »
Thanks for entering, Jeff- get the elevation AND windage under control and they will all be in the middle.
When you look at the width of the vertical group and the height of the horizontal group, the potential for a 5X is definitely there.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2022, 04:24:05 PM »
Thanks Daryl and Maven.
Jeff glad you chose the Postal Match for your first post. Welcome to the forum. Good shooting!
I suppose Cabin fever has inspired all the shooting, keep it up.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Maven

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2022, 07:34:14 PM »
Hot @!*%, you guys are good shots! :) :)  Unfortunately the weather here hasn't been conducive to any kind of outdoor shooting (bitterly cold, snow) although I did manage to get a short bike ride in on Jan. 14th.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Daryl

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2022, 11:01:18 PM »
Jeff - it appears you might have used 2 different "holds". Just a guess. Well, man, the potential is tremendous. :o
Daryl

Offline Jburt9

• Starting Member
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2022, 12:52:36 AM »
Jeff - it appears you might have used 2 different "holds". Just a guess. Well, man, the potential is tremendous. :o

Thanks Daryl,

The first target I was indeed trying to figure out my elevation, my front sights filed down for a 100 yard zero. I got I figured for the second target but just couldn’t hold hard enough to keep my windage under control.

Jeff

Offline Daryl

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2022, 03:53:32 AM »
Took a picture with a target underneath.
I measured .271" from line to the outside of the ball holes.
Both the 4th and 5th shots are the same. 1/2 ball is .341"
since you don't have the means to measure it yourself. The
picture with the balls, shows just 1/2, as the ball is actually
pushing out on the paper.
Still lots of time for a 50 2X or better. It is quite a big 10 ring.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 04:02:51 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2022, 03:37:11 PM »
You never posted a score on your target, biggest reason I had to guess. That is a very good target and if one considers the conditions, you shot it in it is an excellent target.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2022, 01:25:35 AM »
We got out again today, bit warmer as in 42F.
I could not improve my score but shot a 48/50.
I marked the target 47/50, then took a picture, then measured the 7 o'clock hole, that was just
.007" inside the outside of the white 10 rime, so it should be a 10. Either way, is is not
good enough to bet my previous score. .240" from outside of the 10 ring line to the outside of the hole.
.2475" is 1/2 ball., so it is inside by .007". LOL
Incidentally, I tried 60gr. 2F, 70gr. 2F both poor, then shot this target with 85gr. 2F which showed
in the past to be more accurate - at 50 yards. Maybe I just have more confidence in it?

Daryl

• Member 3
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2022, 03:13:07 AM »
Nor was I able to improve my score...another 48/50 and no "X's".  I used my Herman Rupp copy (the one I built for Brian Dancey, and employed my new bag and horn set in the process.  I have it set up now for .50 cal round ball, and that'll serve three rifles with another on the back burner, so that's a good use of a great bit of truck.
Unlike Daryl, I shot my target with just 63 gr. FFg GOEX, same ball and patch, but different lube.  He used saliva and I, water soluble oil and water about 1:10.  The barrel is a Rice Lehigh profile, round bottomed rifling, and does it ever load easily.  I use a starter to intorduce the ball into the patch and bore, and then literally, two fingers (thumb and index) on the rod to push it to the charge.  Accuracy was fine, my hold not so much.  I found the rifle so light that it wouldn't settle down in the black.  Too, I had to file at least 1/16" off the top of the front blade to bring the hits up into the ten ring.  Now the sights are really low to the barrel, which is fine, but something I'm not used to.  A little more trouble with heat mirage than I'm used to.  Still great fun to shoot this lovely rifle, and an opportunity to clean it up good with TLC.
Here's my target:

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline alacran

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2022, 04:10:44 PM »
Glad to see you guys taking advantage of the balmy weather. Good shooting.

• Member 3
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2022, 09:56:18 PM »
Daryl and I gave this match another opportunity to shine the other day, but alas, neither of us produced a winning target.  I used my Rupp inspired rifle again, a .50 cal and I find the rifle just too light for good offhand shooting.  I have become spoiled by my Chambers' Virginia rifle at 10 pounds and I find anything lighter floats around the target too much for fine shooting.   Also, I have become corrupted by the double set trigger and the Rupp's simple trigger though crisp, is considerably more difficult to get the shot off when I want it.
Anyway, I took a few pictures which I now provide for your entertainment...

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2022, 01:57:54 AM »
I'm still planning on shooting this match, but minus 36 again tonight and minus 30 something tomorrow.  Not the best for target shooting !  Maybe Sunday .

Offline Daryl

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2022, 06:34:07 AM »
Best wishes, Bob.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2022, 12:08:20 PM »
Taylor, they may not be winning targets, but they are good.
Yes, it is more difficult shooting a single trigger than a set trigger. Specially if you get corrupted as you say by shooting a set trigger.
I have reverted back to single triggers. Have been shooting all my matches this last year with them. At least on long guns.
I remembered I used to shoot decent scores at 200 yards offhand,  in service rifle competition. The triggers had to be 4 1/2 lbs minimum.
As far as hunting rifles the single trigger in my opinion, is the best choice.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2022, 01:26:31 AM »
Taylor…..some fine looking stuff !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2022, 02:13:59 AM »
So far, the winning target and the second place 49 3X were shot with simple (single) triggers, just say'n.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 02:18:48 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2022, 04:02:34 PM »

Went out again yesterday with the smoothbore. Shot only this target at 25 yards. Played at 50 yards after that.
I figure I am at minute of Javelina to at least 50 yards. But the fun in Javelina hunting is getting close. Have only shot one further than 25 yards, and that was with a CF rifle. Most shots average 15 yards.
Of course, my targets are shot only for fun.
If no one posts a target today with a 50 2x, Daryl will be the January winner.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 04:12:05 PM by alacran »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2022, 09:13:16 PM »
45/50 is a really good target with a smoothbore. I'd say OK for Javelina for sure.
Are they good to eat?
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2022, 02:15:07 AM »
We had to drive to town today for some business, and arrived home at 4:00
My wife saw the target I had taped on cardboard and said " I thought you were going to shoot ? "
 "Why don't you go out back now ...have fun."  So off I went.  This target was shot at 25 yards, off hand in over the knee snow and minus 15 deg .   .54 flint rifle, C weight, 42 in Colerain barrel
simple pinned single trigger.  Standard type sights. It's my deer hunting rifle.   .535 ball, .018 linen patch, bear oil lube, 80 gr FFg    Wasn't steady enough on my feet and pulled the first shot.
The others are in the 10 and 9 rings.   Daryl wins !!     Congratulations . 
Looking forward to what we see for Feb