Author Topic: Adjusting, filing down front blade sight  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Steeltrap

Adjusting, filing down front blade sight
« on: January 03, 2022, 05:05:47 PM »
In shooting my .54 cal flintlock I find that centering (vertically) the front sight in the center of the "V" of the rear sight, I am spot on at 100 yards.

So, my question is, if I take my dial caliper and measure to the half-way down point of the V rear sight and find that it measures say 20 thousands, then am I correct in my thinking that if I file the front sight down another 20 thousands, then I should be able to "line up" the front sight with the top of the rear sight V, and my POI should be the same?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Adjusting, filing down front blade sight
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 05:24:08 PM »
No.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 05:55:49 PM »
If I understand you correctly, your rifle is shooting high. In other words if you line up top of front sight with top of rear sight your shots are above your aim point?
If so you need to raise front sight or lower rear.

Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 09:58:24 PM »
If I understand your sighting situation, you are pulling the front sight blade half way down into the "V" of the rear sight to be spot on at 100 yards.  If you were to align the front sight level with the top of the rear sight's notch, you'd shoot high.

You need to file off the top of the rear sight until when the front sight is level with the top of the rear sight, and centred in the notch left and right, your shot hits centre, at whatever range you choose as your point blank.

Currently, I file my sights so that I am spot on at 50 meters, holding the front sight level with the notch/top of rear sight.  This gives me a clean sight picture for 25 meters or ten, if it's a tack or string that's the target, and I hold front sight above the notch, front sight centred on the target, for 100 meters.  As an example, on my 50 cal. rifles, I have filed a bevel of about 45 degrees on the back corner of my front sight blade, creating a little square of silver.  Looking down the barrel, this little square turns into a ball of silver light.  At 100 meters, I simply place the shiny silver "ball" on top of the rear sight's notch, hold centre on the target and touch it off.  For most of my shooting which is at steel clangers, this is fine enough accuracy to achieve hits most of the time.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 11:23:48 PM »
If I understand you correctly, your rifle is shooting high. In other words if you line up top of front sight with top of rear sight your shots are above your aim point?

Bob

If I understand your sighting situation, you are pulling the front sight blade half way down into the "V" of the rear sight to be spot on at 100 yards.  If you were to align the front sight level with the top of the rear sight's notch, you'd shoot high.

Yup.  i had it backarsewards. I have a proclivity to do that when figuring out sights.

Thank you for posting.

So....if I file down the rear sight to that "V" half-way point, I should be able to line up the front with the top rear, and get the POI were I want it?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 11:29:35 PM by Steeltrap »

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 11:28:54 PM »
....As an example, on my 50 cal. rifles, I have filed a bevel of about 45 degrees on the back corner of my front sight blade, creating a little square of silver.  Looking down the barrel, this little square turns into a ball of silver light.  At 100 meters, I simply place the shiny silver "ball" on top of the rear sight's notch, hold centre on the target and touch it off.  For most of my shooting which is at steel clangers, this is fine enough accuracy to achieve hits most of the time.

Interesting. I'm assuming you have a silver front sight blade.  I have\use brass front sight blades. I don't know if the same results can be achieved with brass as with silver or not.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 01:09:22 AM »
Silver or polished steel or brass blade, really doesn't matter - that 45 degree angle is a bright spot. My steel blades (.36 and .50) don't rust, likely because of the WD40. ;)
The .69 has a brass bead filed at a 45 degree angle and it stays bright as well.

Reduce rear sight height to shoot lower. Reduce front sight height to shoot higher.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 04:44:45 AM »

Bob

Yup.  i had it backarsewards. I have a proclivity to do that when figuring out sights.

Thank you for posting.

So....if I file down the rear sight to that "V" half-way point, I should be able to line up the front with the top rear, and get the POI were I want it?
Yes. But, I would stop and test before you get there. More than once.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 06:45:02 AM »
Sort of like adding salt to the soup, a little can go a long ways and you can always go back and add more if needed.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 03:23:48 PM »
Thanks Gent's. All good advice. If I were to admit it I think the "take this much off" is how I got here in the first place!   :-X

Offline Spalding

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 04:21:30 PM »
Thanks Gent's. All good advice. If I were to admit it I think the "take this much off" is how I got here in the first place!   :-X

Well if you already filed the front and don’t want to file down the rear sight, you could always just replace the front and start fresh.

Bob

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 05:10:49 PM »

Well if you already filed the front and don’t want to file down the rear sight, you could always just replace the front and start fresh.

Bob

Thanks. Actually, I've been wanting to file down the rear sight anyway. IMHO it sitting far higher than I wanted it to and I've just not gotten around to filing it down to where I'd prefer it.