Author Topic: Jacob Kuntz Ca 1840 rifle with European influence  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Mattox Forge

Jacob Kuntz Ca 1840 rifle with European influence
« on: January 04, 2022, 11:02:06 PM »
An earlier thread discussed English influences on mid 1800 American rifles designs as they related to Hawkins rifles. This rifle made in Philadelphia certainly seems to have a distinctly European flavor to it. I won't say it is completely English influenced, as the lock design is more European looking, but the over all impression is something from the other side of the pond. The butt and patchbox are American in general, but the finial on the patchbox is reminiscent of the English stylized pineapple trigger guard finial. It is a very elegant rifle.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2022/the-william-k-du-pont-collection-important-americana-from-rocky-hill/carved-walnut-and-engraved-steel-german-silver

Mike

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Jacob Kuntz Ca 1840 rifle with European influence
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 11:45:58 PM »
Mike, thanks for posting. I’d said before that the Hawken brothers did not solely marry English sporting rifle styles and components with American longrifle styling. The outline of this patchbox is similar to those found on some early J&S Hawken rifles.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 11:56:41 PM »
For some reason, this rifle strikes me more of German ancestry, but perhaps that is due to the hammer shape, colour and? ???
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 12:25:37 AM »
The lock and bolster setup look much more like German designs to me, but I have mainly studied the English ones, so it could be French or Swiss as well. The English influence, if any, is forward of the lock, the horn cap and rib styling.

Mike

Offline JHeath

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 11:41:25 PM »
The lock and bolster setup look much more like German designs to me, but I have mainly studied the English ones, so it could be French or Swiss as well. The English influence, if any, is forward of the lock, the horn cap and rib styling.

Mike

Also, I think it’s swamped, which is more an English than “plains” feature from what little I know. And checkered. I see other Philadelphia half stocks with checkering, but they are back action.

Not entirely relevant to this post,  but googling I found this Philadelphia half-stock with a whole lotta barrel. I pass it along as a curiosity.

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/products/2099-philadelphia-half-stock-silver-mounted-percussion-rifle-al2471.html

Offline Frank Graves

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 10:58:39 PM »
I found out last week that this J. Kunz rifle was fitted with a modern telescopic sight by the last owner.  With a screwed in rail mount on the top of the barrel... 

The auction house sent me a picture of the top of the barrel showing the two threaded holes where the rail used to be.  One of the holes goes through the barrel address of Kunz.  They say that they will amend the listing with the same picture.

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 11:01:43 PM »
How sad that someone did that to that nice rifle. I suppose it could be careful repaired with plugs and some solid engraving on  the plugs to complete the address.
Mike