Author Topic: Shooting glasses  (Read 1394 times)

Offline hortonstn

Shooting glasses
« on: February 07, 2022, 05:41:12 AM »
Where can I get shooting glasses in a .30 or .50  strength need to clear up target at 60 yds
Thanks

Offline Cobweb

Re: Shooting glasses
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 08:32:38 AM »
I had mine made by my optometrist in Fulton, you can check with your doctor.
Robert and I both took our rifles in his office and he made glasses to focus on the sights and also a pair to focus at 60 yrds. They worked great!

Big John
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 05:04:25 PM »
If you have frames already any good eyeglasse/optometry place (read NOT chains or big box stores) can put whatever you want for lenses in them. Measure the distance you need for your sights, they should be able to make a lense that makes that distance the clearest.

My personal daily glasses are set up with my distance prescription in my left eye and a prescription ideal for "mid-range" which happens to make my cardiac monitors clear as well as the front sight of my carry and completion pistols sharply focused. I use my distance prescription in both lenses of my period frames and the glasses I wear to hunt with and shoot my longbow. Don't need the rear sight super crisp to shoot my flintlock (front sight focus) and the distance prescription has my front sight clear.
My guys have even made bifocal glasses for some of my pistol students with the "reader" on top instead of the bottom so the student can see their sights without lifting their head.

Point being, don't let some eyeglass place tell you you need to buy their frames or that they can't put the lenses you need in a set of frames.

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 05:50:11 PM »
I have Decot shooting glasses in prescription.   Great people to deal with and quick.

Fleener

https://www.decot.com/
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 08:46:31 PM »
I bought .25 and .5 diopter glasses on line. I Googled .25 and .5 diopter reading and computer glasses.
I also bought a pair of .75 Diopter reading glasses from a local Optometrist's office. Had to order them.  These
are for sharpening up the sights, but they do fuzz the target - for me.  My regular prescription glasses are for
sharpening distance, like 60yards.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 10:15:47 PM »
Costco...

I told them what I wanted.  I had a pair made with the top of the bifocal set to focus at about 4'.  I did that by trying their various diopters to get the focus distance  I wanted.  The bottom was a regular reader.  Those glasses give me the ability to focus from a about 6" to about 10'.  Yes, the target will be a little fuzzy.  It is supposed to be.

I wear these glasses most of the time.  IN the shop and around the house they are my best.  I wear glasses with a proper infinity focus on the top for driving.   

Modern progressive lenses are useless for shooting.     

If you want clear sights and a clear target you need an aperture.  That can be a peep sight or a stick on for your glasses. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 01:32:12 AM »
Costco...
Modern progressive lenses are useless for shooting.   

Absolutely right.

Can be even screwy in a scope.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 05:52:13 PM »
I have been using Decot glasses for over 25 years. They offer a lens for rifle shooters that is basically a bi-focal with the close lens on top. It allows you to see the sights as well as the target. It does take some getting used to. It helps when shooting back East, where the shooting venues leave a lot to be desired
as far as light on your sights. Friendship for one.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 06:11:03 PM »
I have a Freezer Baggie of various reading glasses in my shooting gear. I buy them from CVS or similar. 

I was taught that you always want the front sight clearly in focus.  When we are young, we can rapidly shift focus back and forth to see the target and the front sight clearly.  As we age, we have to pick one or the other.  Our eyes won't quickly shift any more.  Target shooters all say you have to clearly see the front sight to have small groups. 

I take a yardstick to measure how far from my eye the front sight is.  I then tape a piece of paper with small writing on it to the yardstick at the right distance.  Off to the store with the yardstick, and I can pick the pair that best allows me to see the front sight with the least magnification.  These reading glasses are like $10.00 or $15.00 for good ones, so no biggie.  I have tried $3.00 ones, but the lenses have distortion in them. 

These readers work for me.  The front sight is clear, and the target a little fuzzy.  Longrifles with the sight way out there are a blessing as once the front sight is in focus, the target is less fuzzy than with a pistol. 

I use my "cheater" target at the range made of day-glo poster paper.  Even when slightly fuzzy, it is really easy to see the aiming point.  That shot outside the 50-yard group was the first shot out of the barrel, with the other four clustering nicely.  Of course, it could have been the monkey-on-the-crank (me) messing up! 

I hope this helps someone a little.   God Bless,    Marc 

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 02:57:39 AM »
Way back when, I had terrible vision, and wore thick glasses constantly.  Like 20/400.

I had my optician make me a pair of glasses that had the normal correction in the left eye, and the right (dominant) set at 20/15.  Those targets were remarkably sharper.

Come the cataracts, the guy fixing them made me a permanent one, 20/15 in the right, 20/20 in the left.  Still working great, although I now have to use reading glasses.  The VA doc made almost half-glasses for me, so I can still look up and see clearly at a distance.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 03:01:02 AM »
We do what we must.  I used the .75 dioter glasses today and noticed a big difference. Of course, the target was fuzzier, but seeing that front
sight was really nice. The rear sight of course, was about the same as usual ie: fuzzy.
Daryl