General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Gain Twist

<< < (4/7) > >>

Hungry Horse:
 Late Charles Slotterbeck guns were primarily gain twist. He was not only a gun smith, but a well known Schutzen competitor as well. So if there wasn’t an advantage he wouldn’t have used it.

Hungry Horse

hanshi:
About all I can add to the subject is my own experience with gain twist.  One of my .45 rifles has a GT barrel and is extremely accurate.  But OTOH I can't honestly say it's more accurate than some of my other barrels in that caliber.  More accurate?  Inconclusive.  Less accurate?  Absolutely not!

Bob Roller:

--- Quote from: Tim May on January 08, 2022, 05:03:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: Daryl on January 08, 2022, 01:46:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: Tim May on January 07, 2022, 09:55:25 PM ---Thanks for all replies. Just undisighted
What to with this barrel it is marked
J.J.J.J.
Large. No other stampings
Tapered 1and 1/8 to 1 in. 45 cal.
36 in long gain twist.
Thanks
Tim

--- End quote ---

The .58 Large Barrel I had, was choked for sure but did not have a gain twist.
Are you sure it's got a gain twist?

--- End quote ---
Darlyl , pretty sure looking thru breech rifling looks
slow. Looking in the muzzle end is noticeably faster twist.

--- End quote ---
That barrel was probably rifled on the machine Bill Large and I built.It had a pronounced gain and pushing a tight
patch thru made it very noticeable.I shot a 58 made with it as a test on a gun that Bill made for that purpose and
with over 70 grains of 3fg it had a keen "crack" when it fired,almost like a high velocity breech loader.
Very accurate a well.
Bob Roller

smylee grouch:
A friend of mine had one of Numrich Arms kit guns in 45 cal that was gain twist. Once you found the right combo it shot very well but was very charge sensitive. Vary your powder charge by any more or less than about 5 grains and groups really opened up.

Daryl:
I recall hearing the same thing back in the 70's and/or 80's SmyleeGrouch, converning those gain twist .45's. I thought they were Hopkins and Allen barrels, but likely Numrich as you say.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version