Author Topic: Acraglas gel  (Read 4818 times)

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

Acraglas gel
« on: January 07, 2022, 04:37:03 AM »
Can't seem to find it anywhere. Looking for some to bed a smoothbore barrel in an inlet that is a touch too big.
Are there any other products that could be used in place of acraglas? The filler will be visible, so the filler needs to be able to be dyed.
Thanks.

Offline snapper

Re: Acraglas gel
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 04:54:16 AM »
Keep in mind that is nothing other then an epoxy.

Play around with epoxy from the hardware store to see what you can do.   I have used leather dye and saw dust to color epoxy.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 04:59:37 AM »
I like pro bed.  It's already brown and a SMALL amount of inlet black mixed in makes it darker and very hard to see.  Comes with release agent as well.  Good stuff.  I get mine from Muzzleloader Builders Supply

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 05:10:46 AM »
I use this to laminate bows.  Having used AcraGlas Gel, I swear it's the same thing.  It will accept coloration.

https://www.reynoldsam.com/product/ea-40/

Mike Lee

Offline rsells

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 07:22:38 AM »
I get my Acraglas gel and liquid directly from Brownells.  I checked their web page and they are showing both types in stock.
                                                                     Roger Sells

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 08:44:34 AM »
Keep in mind that is nothing other then an epoxy.

Play around with epoxy from the hardware store to see what you can do.   I have used leather dye and saw dust to color epoxy.

Fleener

All epoxies are not created equal. And like many modern items it can be engineered to be better at certain things or so I have read.
I like the Gel and used it more years back when doing a lot of brass suppository guns.
Buying just any old epoxy for gun work is something I would not advise. Based on my experiences.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 10:15:49 AM »
I use all sorts of epoxies in my aerospace work.  As Dan correctly implies, there are a staggering number of epoxy formulations to do all sorts of bonding, insulating, potting, bedding, etc., etc. tasks.  Some are very inexpensive.  Some are unbelievably expensive.  I use Acraglas, in both liquid and gel forms, for all my gun work since it was originally formulated for exactly that type of bonding and bedding.  I know it is an anathema to many in this community, but I Acragel bed every butt plate and every barrel breech on every rifle.  I do it on the butt plate to absolutely waterproof (for all time) the end grain wood under the plate.  I do it at the barrel breech to absolutely waterproof the end grain exposed there and to provide the best possible fit between the barrel breech and the stock evenly distributing the recoil into the stock wood and reinforcing it at its weakest point.  Other epoxies might work just fine, but if Acragel is in stock at Brownells, I would agree with Dan and not go with any generic hardware store variety epoxy. 
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Birddog6

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 01:56:16 PM »
I like the Acralas Gel, & have put it around the breeches & tangs of most my rifles. I want the wood sealed good there
& I want a really snug fit. I always get it at Brownells as the shelf life will be less there as they sell allot of it.   IMHO,
using any brand of epoxy would be like saying all ML barrels or all flintlocks are equal, they are just steel.  ???
I have uses Acraglas for over 25 yrs & trust it.  "IF"  used properly it does a beautiful job.  If not used properly it can
make a simple job a total disaster. 

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 02:57:57 PM »
I get my Acraglas gel and liquid directly from Brownells.  I checked their web page and they are showing both types in stock.
                                                                     Roger Sells

Do you have a link for that? I just checked their site and the only gel product I see in stock is the 64 oz. resin, no other size resin and no hardener in any size.

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 04:48:23 PM »
I'm not Roger,  but I just checked their site and found it. Don't know how to send a link, but I typed Acraglas into their site search and it popped up for me.
Mike Westcott

Offline FDR

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 06:05:39 PM »
Thanks, I see that now, it wasn't coming up when I searched, I had to look at other options.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2022, 06:31:34 PM »
In the few cases where I needed to fill a void, either of my own blunder or nature's, like a knot or whar ever I have used Acraglass.  Once I had ran out of dye and so I used the same alcohol based stain I was going to use.  It worked perfect and is the least visible of all.  I still use that now when I can.  Blends better than the dye that comes with.  At least for me.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2022, 07:26:52 PM »
I use all sorts of epoxies in my aerospace work.  As Dan correctly implies, there are a staggering number of epoxy formulations to do all sorts of bonding, insulating, potting, bedding, etc., etc. tasks.  Some are very inexpensive.  Some are unbelievably expensive.  I use Acraglas, in both liquid and gel forms, for all my gun work since it was originally formulated for exactly that type of bonding and bedding.  I know it is an anathema to many in this community, but I Acragel bed every butt plate and every barrel breech on every rifle.  I do it on the butt plate to absolutely waterproof (for all time) the end grain wood under the plate.  I do it at the barrel breech to absolutely waterproof the end grain exposed there and to provide the best possible fit between the barrel breech and the stock evenly distributing the recoil into the stock wood and reinforcing it at its weakest point.  Other epoxies might work just fine, but if Acragel is in stock at Brownells, I would agree with Dan and not go with any generic hardware store variety epoxy.
I tend to bed the barrel breeches to keep out cleaning fluid and oil. It can come in handy under forend caps too.
It can also prevent tang blow out if the wood is soft. But in this case its better to use the wood for horn plugs or firewood unless you find out too late.
Not too long ago I drilled a hole through the stock in the wrong place. I did not use epoxy but with a bit of hoop jumping it “went away”  on both sides. It was a momentary case of the stupids.
I once bought some epoxy in a hobby store that was completely useless for any purpose. I use J-B Weld on rod ends and such. But its the wrong color for any use on a stock. Acura-Glas Gel is white when not dyed and looked a lot like unstained maple.
There are wood specific epoxies used in boat repair but these are like original Acura-Glas and pretty low viscosity designed to penetrate porous or rotten wood. Used it on an Airstream floor once. There is a thicker version too. They claim it uses wood based resins. The was over a decade ago and I would have to look at the cans to remember who sells this stuff. Most hardware store epoxie is pretty generic. I have heard of people successfully patching engine blocks with JB Weld.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2022, 09:59:12 PM »
Brownells is the distributor of AcraqGlas products and I'd be surprised if they didn't have any.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2022, 10:57:33 PM »
Notes about Acraglas gel.
1.  It's mixed 1/1 so you can mix small amounts.  Mix it on poly-plastic, cardboard or those fake credit cards you get in the mail.  The latter can also be used as spreaders.  Saves screwing around with the liquid variety.
2.  It can be thinned with lacquer thinner and injected into cracks with a hypodermic.  Whenever I or my pets get shots, I have them save the hypo for me (no needle, just the body).
3.  Mixing with their dye gives superior results.  Mixing with other coloring agents results in it not hardening and having a rubbery consistency.
4.  Forget about shelf life.  If either component gets crusty, stir it and give it 5 second zaps in the microwave until it mixes creamy again (per a Brownell tech).  I've done this with product that is over 20 years old and it still works.
5.  If you have over-run, wait until it sets up but before it completely hardens and shave any excess off with a razor blade, Xacto knife, etc.  Saves a lot of clean-up and sanding after it hardens.

Your experience may vary, but I don't care.  I've used the above tips successfully for 30+ years.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 12:58:09 AM »
I've used the thin Acraglas, Acraglas Gell(better for bedding than the thin stuff),  Micro-Bed and JB Weld (the grey steel "filled" stuff).

Currently (for the last 20 years or so), I've been using JB Weld exclusively with excellent results on muzzleloaders as well as modern guns.

Just got to be a pain to order anything from Brownells.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 10:21:35 AM »
Accraglas Gel stays where you put it. The same can't be said for most compounds out there.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline R Whittington

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 12:22:21 AM »
I can never find accraglass in stock. I use pro-bed 2000. Easier than accraglass.
Ric Whittington

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2022, 12:45:02 AM »
JB Weld will do an excellent job and can be found at most hardware stores.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2022, 01:11:29 AM »
There are many suitable epoxies available.  Boat shops are a good resource.  When I really care I use G-flex.  https://www.westsystem.com  To make it thicker I add glass flock or walnut sawdust.  To make it black I add black iron oxide powder ( I have some  handy, no other reason).  I have used copier toner.  I have also used Devcon slow set epoxy with equal results.  I used anhydrous lanolin for release agent, again it is handy. 

Acraglass is a fine product. 

I just glass bedded a butplate today.  The toe kept chipping off due to unfortunate grain layout.  Once I got a patch to hold, I wanted to be done with it forever.  I also added a toe plate. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2022, 02:35:11 AM »
Oh yeah- forgot to add, with the J.B. Weld, as well as the older Devcon Plastic Steel 50/50 mix, I used ordinary axle grease as a release agent. Can be applied in a very thin coat and works perfectly.
Daryl

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2022, 10:09:51 PM »
J-B Weld is good stuff if the color does not matter. I generally use the JB Quik version. If drying time is irrelevant I usually use A-G gel.
I use paste floor wax as a release agent. I used to work on guns with areas that would gleefully lock the part in with undercuts etc. But if these places are packed with wax its a non-issue. Contact with a wad of wax seems to keep the epoxy touching from setting properly or  getting hard so it will not lock the part even if it intrudes on the hole or undercut, but in thin layers that have dried its just release agent. YMMV.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2022, 11:05:20 PM »
Years ago, I bought a package of Plasticine for plugging holes or places I didn't want bedding compound. Works well on larger areas and screw holes.
Daryl

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2022, 09:12:44 PM »
I use Pro Bed and I haven't had any issues with it. I have used all sorts of release agents like Crisco, clay, gun oil to name a few and they all work. I tend to bed the breach area of my rifle builds because I think it strengthens a weak area. Not historically correct I know but its a small compromise in my opinion.
Rob