General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Hodgdon site says GOEX sold - but really?

<< < (4/4)

Metequa:
Saw something yesterday that stated this:

AZshot:
I would say any blackpowder plant could increase safety (and reduce risk of loss) by following the procedures the Navy used to segregate powder from handling rooms, and from the projectiles.  If you know how a gun on a Battleship works, the powder comes up an elevator, just in time for use.  You don't have bags of powder sitting around waiting to blow up.  GOEX or others I'm sure have been told this before, and may do it to some extent.  But it needs to be error proofed.  A corning machine runs and loads one small container, which gets immediately whisked out of the room by conveyor, through explosion-proof doors, to another room that is the "magazine" which is fireproof.  Seems simple to me.

Mad Monk:

--- Quote from: AZshot on January 11, 2022, 10:37:12 PM ---I would say any blackpowder plant could increase safety (and reduce risk of loss) by following the procedures the Navy used to segregate powder from handling rooms, and from the projectiles.  If you know how a gun on a Battleship works, the powder comes up an elevator, just in time for use.  You don't have bags of powder sitting around waiting to blow up.  GOEX or others I'm sure have been told this before, and may do it to some extent.  But it needs to be error proofed.  A corning machine runs and loads one small container, which gets immediately whisked out of the room by conveyor, through explosion-proof doors, to another room that is the "magazine" which is fireproof.  Seems simple to me.

--- End quote ---

As I said in the past.  Sitting on up to 1000 pounds of powder during the operation of a machine is silly.  That same approach cost them the Clear Shot BP sub line.  That BB turret comparison is right on the mark.

Mad Monk:

--- Quote from: AZshot on January 11, 2022, 10:37:12 PM ---I would say any blackpowder plant could increase safety (and reduce risk of loss) by following the procedures the Navy used to segregate powder from handling rooms, and from the projectiles.  If you know how a gun on a Battleship works, the powder comes up an elevator, just in time for use.  You don't have bags of powder sitting around waiting to blow up.  GOEX or others I'm sure have been told this before, and may do it to some extent.  But it needs to be error proofed.  A corning machine runs and loads one small container, which gets immediately whisked out of the room by conveyor, through explosion-proof doors, to another room that is the "magazine" which is fireproof.  Seems simple to me.

--- End quote ---

The other example of what you re suggesting is seen in tanks.  Which can take turret hits and which cannot.  How many times have I wanted vids where a Russian tank took a turret hit and in short order the turret was blown right off the tank from the explosion of the stored rounds unprotected.

Herb:
I just talked with Craig Kirkland, owner of Bear River Powder, master distributor of Goex, up in Evanston, WY.  He said he saw a Hodgdon press release yesterday which stated that the Goex plant and brand name were sold in 2021.  I asked about Olde Eynsford 1F, he said the shooters at the Quigley match used OE 1 1/2F in their 50 (?) caliber black powder cartridge guns but wanted a slower powder.  Hence OE 1F was developed. The OE 1F has finer kernels than the Goex 1F.   He has Goex 1F and OE 1F in stock.   He has a whole bunch of cannon grade powder, but is sold out of everything else now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version