Author Topic: 10 gauge Flintlock double shotgun help  (Read 2963 times)

Pntbll499

Re: 10 gauge Flintlock double shotgun help
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2022, 04:50:01 PM »
Mr. Brooks perhaps we have stepped off on the wrong foot, I had took your one line vague answers as some form of attitude and I apologize, I do posses an original that was a flint but converted to percussion but the barrel set is so thin and I just can’t bring myself to butcher it. I’d just prefer modern, and non damascus I can usually dig up 12s but they are dented, I know this is repairable and maybe I just have to settle for that. Something like the 12 constructed by Taylor is similar to what I am going for using modern barrels and breeched in that manor. My question for Taylor is did you only shorten the chamber as described in the book, or remove it entirely and cut at the forcing cone? I was hoping to make this a working gun hard use gun as I have intentions of hunting with it. I know pedersoli did offer a double flint but its more rewarding when you’ve built it. I thank you for your assistance and I will do my best to avoid using the 10 gauge barrel set, at least for muzzleloading purposes.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2022, 04:56:42 PM »
I'm sure you'll do whatever pleases you, that seems to be what people asking advice do.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2022, 05:19:16 PM »
I have an old (c. 1850 period) 10-bore English double that I am re-stocking due to a missing BIG toe.  It's percussion, and the stock is 1.815" wide at the lock area.
I'm working on English walnut that was grown in Armenia.  It is some of the toughest wood I've worked with.  Constantly re-sharpening my chisels.
My first effort was ruined by trying to slim down the butt on my bandsaw, which actually cut a bowed section.  This effort that I am working on now will be all hand-cut.
I have no idea what thread the breeches have, and no plans to find out.
Listen to Mike - his words may be brief, but a lot of good info to follow.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.