Author Topic: First Horn in 2022  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Kevin

First Horn in 2022
« on: January 09, 2022, 11:37:54 PM »
Greetings All,

Here's a few photos of my first project in 2022.  Inspired by a horn in Madison Grant's Hunting Pouch book, it is 8.5" along the outside curve with an approximate 3" x 2 and 3/8" plug cut to the natural shape of the horn.  Parts of the horn had a wavy texture and some of that remains after scraping.  I inflicted a few additional marks onto it before giving it a bit of aging.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.  Thanks for Looking,

Kevin

Offline Spalding

Re: First Horn in 2022
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 02:48:16 AM »
I like it, Kevin. Although the “fancier” horns are nice, there’s something about the simpler ones that appeals to me. Nicely done.

Bob

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 03:39:38 AM »
Thumbs up! I think it looks natural and organic, just like if it had been made on the frontier or in a newly formed colony. I like walnut so I would have left the plug a bit more proud to show off the grain more but that's just me and one has to work with what you've got within the time limits unique to you.
What type of strap do you have planned for it?
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 04:24:21 PM »
 Nice looking little horn, very home made looking. Under: "Thoughts and suggestions" if it were homemade the staples would probably not be square and I would think the plug would have been end grain being easier to stick it in and carve it to shape. To make the plug look old run a wire brush over it hard taking out the soft wood and leaving a more exposed grain.

Tim

Offline Kevin

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 09:06:32 PM »
Thumbs up! I think it looks natural and organic, just like if it had been made on the frontier or in a newly formed colony. I like walnut so I would have left the plug a bit more proud to show off the grain more but that's just me and one has to work with what you've got within the time limits unique to you.

Bull Shannon,  Thanks for the kind words.  I too gravitate to the simple horns but, someday, I'm going to treat myself to a nice screw tip horn.  As to a strap for this horn, I haven't even given it a thought yet.  For now, it will join about a half-dozen other horns from the past couple of year as part of my Covid Collection.

Take Care,
Kevin

Offline Kevin

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 09:11:05 PM »
Nice looking little horn, very home made looking. Under: "Thoughts and suggestions" if it were homemade the staples would probably not be square and I would think the plug would have been end grain being easier to stick it in and carve it to shape. To make the plug look old run a wire brush over it hard taking out the soft wood and leaving a more exposed grain.

Tim

Tim,
I appreciate you taking a look and providing suggestions that I can incorporate into future horn projects.

Many Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 11:42:58 AM »

" my Covid Collection. "

Take Care,
Kevin

LOL!
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!