Author Topic: Henry Dreppard  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Henry Dreppard
« on: January 12, 2022, 06:59:37 PM »
Are there any Dreppard enthusiasts who could share some photos of a couple of his flintlocks?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Henry Dreppard
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 07:47:00 PM »
I don’t know much though am interested. I know that outfit supplied locks to other makers. We have a Drepperd in our library here.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34404.0
Andover, Vermont

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 08:38:20 PM »
Is brass stud decoration common on their rifles?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 09:06:37 PM »
Any brass studs or racks would have been added by an owner, past or current.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 09:55:08 PM »
   Are you sure because his contemporary Melchoir Fordney incorporated them in his work?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 09:59:06 PM »
   Are you sure because his contemporary Melchoir Fordney incorporated them in his work?

Ahh, you got me good. I should have remembered that.
Andover, Vermont

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 12:08:43 AM »
Fordney incorporated studs/pins into his checkering on occasion, though I suspect not commonly. I think that I saw a Dreppart rifle that had that feature.
On another tack, when I look a the Drepard rifle in the ALR Library I see a New York gun. The patchbox, the stock profile and the carving are not the expected elements that one sees in a Lancaster rifle by a solid maker in that school. Anyway it's a nice rifle and one worth having.
Dick

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 12:16:24 AM »
Fordney incorporated studs/pins into his checkering on occasion, though I suspect not commonly. I think that I saw a Dreppart rifle that had that feature.
On another tack, when I look a the Drepard rifle in the ALR Library I see a New York gun. The patchbox, the stock profile and the carving are not the expected elements that one sees in a Lancaster rifle by a solid maker in that school. Anyway it's a nice rifle and one worth having.
Dick
   The Drepperts were known lock makers. Maybe they were unknown barrel sellers. It does have a NY appearance.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 04:05:37 AM »
Rob,   In Whisker's Lancaster book the is a picture of a Drepperd  rifle with tacks on the wrist . It's percussion but looks like a flint plate.
 Here's a picture of my John Drepperd  rifle.  It is stamped on the barrel and the percussion lock.  Lancaster pattern trade gun type. Keyed barrel fifty two or fifty four caliber can't remember.   

JIM

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 03:54:34 PM »
Jim, very nice rifle Sir..!

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 10:45:02 PM »
great rifle Jim! Thank you for showing it here. Dreppard was just an excellent gun maker, maybe the best Lancaster produced. He possessed the same skill level that Armstrong did and every gun displayed that excellence. Like Armstrong however he seemed to make the same gun time after time. Nothing wrong in that, just means that anytime you find one it is going to a truly fine rifle. Wish I had one...
Dick