General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Scheutzen powder velocities

<< < (5/5)

Daryl:
That about sums it up, Mike.  As far as fouling goes, neither Taylor nor I see any difference in fouling, whether using 1F, 2F, or 3F, from humidity from single digits to 90%, -20F when we
shot in that cold weather to 100F in the single digit summer temps at Rendezvous.

Maybe our ball and patch combinations are different enough to allow this? Lube runs from spit, to WWWF+ a tich of oil, to WSOil + water 10:1, to Mink Oil, to Neetsfoot oil, to LehighValley
Lube or Mr. Flintlock's lube.

These differences really made very little difference in point of impact nor any difference in the ease of loading.

Mike from OK:
Daryl, my obsession with consistency comes from my other hobby... Long range unmentionables. 20 fps doesn't make much difference at flintlock ranges... But at 1000+ yards it turns into vertical stringing and can mean the difference between a hit and a miss.

I'll gladly sacrifice 100 fps in velocity if the lower velocity numbers are more consistent.

Seems there's a fellow around these parts who claims consistency is king.  ;)

Mike

Daryl:
Oh yes - consistency, in the load, in the hold, and in the powder.
In the late 70's, my .58 S. Hawken with the new 2F GOEX powder, 160gr., .022" denim patch .575" RB of 285gr. weight, spit for lube,
1810fps av. and 8 fps variation in 10 shots.
140gr. of the same powder and combination, also with spit lube, producing 1,683fps av. gave 10fps variation in 10 shots.  That load ran
1 1/2" at 100yards off the bags.
I also have a note, 95gr. 2F GOEX same ball and combination, produced 1,424fps and 42fps variation.
The other notes, I have, is that bear grease produced much much larger shot to shot variations, up to 7 times higher.
All shooting without wiping at any time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version